Burnt Smell/Taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmudder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Tennessee
Does anyone know what might cause a mixture to have a burnt smell out of the bottle, without even putting it into the clearomizer?

I made my first tobacco liquid. The commercial flavor I bought was pre-mixed, so it was not concentrate. I figured that I might need a higher amount.

This is what I used. It's simple.

Nicotine 60 mg in 100% PG - 2 ml - 20%
PG - 3.5 ml - 35%
VG - 3 ml - 30%
Seedman's Commercial tobacco (non-concentrate) - 1.5 ml - 15%

After running through an ultrasonic cleaner for 2 hours, the liquid has a strong burnt scent (I don't think the water temperature was too high. I turned it on and off as the water warmed and cooled). I tried to vape it just to be sure, and it still has that burnt flavor. It isn't the clearomizer. I checked the wick and coil before using: white and clear.

I just added 0.5 ml of TFA Cotton Candy, 0.5% ml TFA Coconut, and 0.2 ml french vanilla. This seems to have blunted the burnt scent that was coming off it, but I smelled it before steeping in the ultrasonic cleaner. It's in there now, so I'll check again after a few cycles.

The odd thing is, the burnt smell wasn't there before I steeped the first batch. It had a hint of licorice. After steeping, that was almost completely gone. This same burnt smell has happened to other liquids I've tried to create with or without steeping in the ultrasonic cleaner. This is essentially why I hated any sweet mixtures I've made. The taste was horrid. The only liquid I've made that did not have that burnt smell/taste was the Type N Menthol tobacco from RTS Vapes - it's a Chinese flavor. Maybe the flavor itself overrides the burnt flavor?

I'm beginning to think that maybe I've gotten a hold of some bad nicotine? How would I test just the nicotine? I couldn't very well vape it alone, too dangerous.

If anyone has any ideas about what might be causing this, I would really appreciate it.

Note that the nicotine is not out of date. The expiration date runs out in January of 2014.

Edit to add: Well, I think I may have found the problem. It's the nicotine. I've gone through and smelled my plain PG, plain VG, and the nicotine in 100% PG. The nicotine has a very strong burnt smell to it. Arg, I could spit after buying 1000 ml of this *%&^!

Sorry for the implied profanity.

Last edited:

adeline

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2010
Cary, NC
I agree. Taste some unflavored liquid at whatever MG you vape at.

Then lower your seedman's .. a lot.

I use Seedman's as an accent.. It's not technically a DIY flavor concentrate. It says "diluted" because it's way too thick for us to mix with pre-diluted. Its original use was to spray on tobacco leaves.

Hope that helps.

Edit to add .. I have seen other folks using Seedman's as a main flavor ... At or around the 5-8% mark.

mmudder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Tennessee
You can test the nicotine's taste alone. Vape plain PG then compare it to plain PG with some nicotine solution.

I taste fish slime and copper from oxidized nicotine, but I don't know if I've ever had "bad" nicotine.

After all this frustration, I'm pretty sure I've narrowed down what the problem has been the whole time I've been failing at DIY. It's the PG itself. I tried vaping straight PG - got that strong burnt taste that plagues all my DIY attempts. Then, I tried vaping straight VG. The taste has a somewhat sweet side to it and absolutely no burnt/pepper taste at all. I haven't yet tried the nicotine in 100% PG, because I'm now sure it's the PG that I have such a huge aversion against instead of the nicotine.

Thanks for the help. Now, I just have to find some nicotine in 100% VG.

Heh, I have a good 950 ml of 60 mg nicotine in 100% PG stored in my freezer (in amber, glass bottles). So, if anyone wants to trade...

JUDGMENT AFFIRMED

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2012
BELLE VERNON PA.
It isn't the clearomizer. I checked the wick and coil before using: white and clear.

Hi mmudder,
What are you using? Is it a new replacement head?
Maybe before wanting to get rid of the PG nic........try the PG nic at your 20% without any more PG in the recipe and the rest VG and flavor.

mmudder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Tennessee
Hi mmudder,
What are you using? Is it a new replacement head?
Maybe before wanting to get rid of the PG nic........try the PG nic at your 20% without any more PG in the recipe and the rest VG and flavor.

Yes, I had just replaced the head on a Vision Vivi Nova. I put one drop of liquid on the coil before attempting to vape with it also.

Lessening the amount of PG certainly seems to remove most of that burnt/peppery taste and smell (while still maintaining the 12 mg nicotine). I know that some people have negative reactions to PG. This isn't as much of a reaction as a strong preference. I'm wondering if PG smells and tastes like that to anyone else, or if it's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread