Burnt taste in pre-filled cartomizers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quadrupleipa

Jun 14, 2018
Quit smoking a few weeks ago and started on the Halo G6. I'm learning cartomizers are pretty much the most maligned piece of equipment out there, but I was doing great with them for two weeks. I had some that were pre-filled (Turkish Tobacco), but also bought some empty cartridges and e-liquid as well (Torque 56, Cafe Mocha). vaping was good. Today, about 30 puffs into a pre-filled cartridge, I started getting an empty-flavor or even burnt taste. It seemed unlikely the cartomizer had dried out so quickly (I've found it easily last four times that long), so I topped it off. Still a burnt aftertaste. (I noticed it more strongly if I took a second puff pretty soon after the first.) So I tried a different brand-new pre-filled cartomizer. After about 10 puffs I was getting the same burnt aftertaste. I'm curious if anyone has had this experience. I ended up tearing apart the first cartomizer. I found some slight black marking where the wick attached to the coil. Is that a sign of burning, or is there inevitably some discoloration. More generally, does it seem likely...

A. Pre-filled cartomizers are inconsistent, and maybe it was burning out quickly.
B. A problem with the battery. Would they overheat the cartomizers, leading them to burn?
C. Am I maybe vaping them too aggressively? Are cartomizers in particular fragile in how much one can chain vape? At peak, I might take a few puffs a minute.
D. A flavor change in Halo's Turkish Tobacco after a few days

Any insight would be great.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
The blackness you described on the wicking makes me think there is not enough juice getting to the coil, heating element, whatever. Have you used that same juice in previous cartos and they worked fine?
You can definitely come across bad coilheads or cartos, some people even describe getting a bad box of 5.
Aggressive vaping can have that effect, but I don't know your device so I can't say if you are doing it too much... Doesn't let juice wick into the coil fast enough and goes dry more easily.
As far as the device, I don't know how you would test that to make sure...

Reactions: stols001

JanTee

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2014
Saint-Lazare, Quebec, Canada
Hmmm sorry I'm not familiar with that device but if you are looking at your coils and they look black they are burnt. So that means either as stated juice is not getting to them or your battery is whacky I believe. I think you can't adjust the power on the halo so perhaps it is surging, perhaps it's failing from poor quality or maybe it got dropped or knocked? Do you have a spare you can pop the next new carto on?

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Quit smoking a few weeks ago and started on the Halo G6. I'm learning cartomizers are pretty much the most maligned piece of equipment out there, but I was doing great with them for two weeks. I had some that were pre-filled (Turkish Tobacco), but also bought some empty cartridges and e-liquid as well (Torque 56, Cafe Mocha). Vaping was good. Today, about 30 puffs into a pre-filled cartridge, I started getting an empty-flavor or even burnt taste. It seemed unlikely the cartomizer had dried out so quickly (I've found it easily last four times that long), so I topped it off. Still a burnt aftertaste. (I noticed it more strongly if I took a second puff pretty soon after the first.) So I tried a different brand-new pre-filled cartomizer. After about 10 puffs I was getting the same burnt aftertaste. I'm curious if anyone has had this experience. I ended up tearing apart the first cartomizer. I found some slight black marking where the wick attached to the coil. Is that a sign of burning, or is there inevitably some discoloration. More generally, does it seem likely...

A. Pre-filled cartomizers are inconsistent, and maybe it was burning out quickly.
B. A problem with the battery. Would they overheat the cartomizers, leading them to burn?
C. Am I maybe vaping them too aggressively? Are cartomizers in particular fragile in how much one can chain vape? At peak, I might take a few puffs a minute.
D. A flavor change in Halo's Turkish Tobacco after a few days

Hi and welcome,
A: yes.
B: possible but not probable
C: If you are drawing harder then you would with a real cigarette, then yes, you may be using the liquid faster then the wick can replenish it.
D: ?

If refilling cartomizers learn the "Taryn Spin". (Google)
If you can, upgrade to a tank style system. (G6 mini tank or similar)

Congrats on switching to vaping.
Welcome to the ECF!

Cheers
I

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
G6 is out of date junk. Halo shouldn't even be selling this rubbish anymore.

Seriously - get the hell out of there. Don't believe the reviews. What a shocking product. It was out of date in 2013/14. That's nearly 5 years ago.

30 puffs is quite good for some systems. Some brands claimed your can get 400 puffs or the 'equivalent' of 40 cigarettes. In any other industry these companies would have been sued and chased out of town. Don't waste your time or money.

a. yes
b. unlikely (not with a cig-a-like system)
c. possible (yes.. certainly..)
d. You can only experiment. Some flavors are less clean than others.

Good luck. Please excuse my frank comments.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I began vaping with a pre-filled cartomizer (Smokeless Image Volt) cigalikes. They got me off of cigarettes, I'll give them that. However, I quickly experienced the same downsides that the original poster is experiencing. Burnt taste, and also poor battery life, terrible liquid capacity, extremely expensive, etc.

Prefilled cartomizers do not have a long self life. They are not very popular comparatively to other forms of juice attachments, so I imagine by the time they do get sold most of the e-liquid has evaporated from the carto. They only hold like 1 ml of e-liquid when new, so if some gets evaporated and then you go and try to vape them then you're going to quickly get that burnt taste.

Burnt-Cartomizer.jpg
burnt polyfill wick material in caromizer

Vaping technology has come a long, long way since the days of the cigalike. It's time to advance up the vaping chain and get some gear that will provide a much more satisfying vaping experience.

If you are stuck on cartomizers, you can purchase "blank" or empty cartos and fill them yourself with your choice of bottled commercialized e-liquid. I did this for 2 - 3 years myself.

Baditude's Cartotank Setup Guide
  • How I set up my cartotanks. Includes a video review of a popular and essentual tank tool; commentary on single coil vs dual coil cartomizers, punched vs unpunched cartomizers, and help in determining what resistance coil to purchase.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I hope you didn't pay too much for that device. There are folks that enjoy cartomizers but often (not always) they may be folks who have a lot of experience with them.

I don't know what/which factor is causing your issues, but I will say, when I showed up here, it was with the "wrong" setup (for me). It happened to be a very low resistance sub0hm vape, and I just don't enjoy that style of vaping.

It's not at all uncommon for that to be the case, and if I'd continued with that setup I'm not sure I would have quit smoking, let alone continued to vape even dual using. It just wasn't "right" for me.

By all means, try the suggestions you are getting, but also keep in mind that MOST vapers (unless they happen to be lucky) wind up with the setup that really works for them right out of the gate. There are many other setups to explore and I hope you do that and try at least ONE other setup, to see if your options are better. Worst case, and you prefer your current device, well, you would have a backup vape in case of emergency.

Don't be afraid to experiment is what I am kind of saying. Lots of good info about concerning the various types of vapes.

Welcome to ECF, I hope you get things sorted however you wind up doing it. :)

Anna

Reactions: Baditude

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
There are so many things that could go wrong, too numerous to guess here.
Suggest you contact:
local B&M Vape Shop (Visit) -----Might be simple.
Vendor who sold it ---see if they will repair or replace or advise (any authorized distributor).
Manufacturer contact ---see if they will repair or replace or advise.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread