Burnt taste on new coil/wick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evo!

Nov 17, 2018
Hey does anyone have any idea why my vape would taste burnt right after changing my coil and wick? My mod is a Kbox 200 and the only thing I’ve changed since I’ve started to get that burnt taste is I’ve been trying a little bit larger Kanthal wire when I used to use Clapton 0.7 ohm. I’m using a smok RCA/rta! I also did prime the new wick. Appreciatecha!

Attachments

• 09E18D0A-B0C2-412E-8D0F-0EC085F98155.jpeg
    09E18D0A-B0C2-412E-8D0F-0EC085F98155.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Could be a lot of things, including juice not playing nicely with the coil, wicking technique, um type of wicking, the list goes on. Did it taste burnt while you were priming it? How did you prime it? What wattage are you using, etc?

I have found that some of my sweeter juices with more ah, robust coils or exotic builds SOMETHING can caramelize on my coil and wicking almost immediately.

Anna

Evo!

Nov 17, 2018
Did you Dry Burn the Coil before you wicked it?

And what type of Wattage did you start off with when you switched to this New Coil?
Yes I did try to get rid of the hot spots in the coil before I wicked it and I’ve been at 90 watts before and after the change. My thought is not enough, or too much, wick? Could I be onto something?!

Evo!

Nov 17, 2018
Could be a lot of things, including juice not playing nicely with the coil, wicking technique, um type of wicking, the list goes on. Did it taste burnt while you were priming it? How did you prime it? What wattage are you using, etc?

I have found that some of my sweeter juices with more ah, robust coils or exotic builds SOMETHING can caramelize on my coil and wicking almost immediately.

Anna
I thought the same about the juice also but I’ve tried two different juices now. One is new and the second one I’m really familiar with. And I’m getting the same results with both. I’m using the same type of wick that I used with the Clapton wire. No the first few hits were fine and I’m finding if I treat my tank like a dripper then it’s fine. I’ll take the mouthpiece off and put about 6-8 drops in and it will vape perfect for about 5 or so hits.

• Optimistic

Evo!

Nov 17, 2018
90w is really high for a non cartridge coil. I usually subohm @.18ohm at 35w
Apologize but I’m currently at 75. I was at 90 for a long time but I was going through wire way too fast. I understand that even 75 is still up there for my setup but anything under that and I’m trying to inhale the whole mod!!!!!!! Suggestions on what will hold 90 with no problem would be appreciated!

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Apologize but I’m currently at 75. I was at 90 for a long time but I was going through wire way too fast. I understand that even 75 is still up there for my setup but anything under that and I’m trying to inhale the whole mod!!!!!!! Suggestions on what will hold 90 with no problem would be appreciated!
I don’t know what you mean by trying to inhale the whole mod.

Evo!

Nov 17, 2018
I don’t know what you mean by trying to inhale the whole mod.
It was a joke! I meant that at a watt that low I’m sucking so hard to get a hit that I feel like I’m going to inhale everything in my hand like maybe you would see in cartoons!!!! And then burp a little smoke cloud!!! Yet another joke.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
It was a joke! I meant that at a watt that low I’m sucking so hard to get a hit that I feel like I’m going to inhale everything in my hand like maybe you would see in cartoons!!!! And then burp a little smoke cloud!!! Yet another joke.
A simple clapton at .7ohm shouldn’t do that at all. Something is wrong. Is your air flow open?

• Agree

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Yeah I get enough air I just meant I don’t get much vapor or flavor with a lower watt so I just find myself sucking a lot harder trying to get more when I hit it at a lower watt.
That high a wattage shouldn’t be necessary to boil the juice though. Also using that tank you only have one not very big coil to work with. Maybe wicking? I don’t know enough about those little rba decks to form an idea of how 90w is even working for you in the first place. That it’s burning is totally unsurprising, but the thing should work fine at 30-40w. There’s some sort of disconnect here. Something we are both assuming or forgetting. I’m just not sure atm. Sorry :/

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Looks like an RTA. If so, probably too much cotton covering up the wick slots. You need just the right amount of cotton so it doesn't leak. Too little it will leak, too much, it will give you dry hits.
Oh it’s weirder than that, though I like your thinking. Iirc it’s one of those screw in coil cartridge replacement rba decks, so you got one little tiny coil that has the wick stick straight out the sides into the juice.

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
Oh it’s weirder than that, though I like your thinking. Iirc it’s one of those screw in coil cartridge replacement rba decks, so you got one little tiny coil that has the wick stick straight out the sides into the juice.
I looked up, "Iirc." I couldn't find anything. She/He said that they were playing with kanthal. Then they said, "I’m using a Smok RCA/RTA!" The devices in the picture do not look like Smok products. I don't know what's going on here.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I looked up, "Iirc." I couldn't find anything. She/He said that they were playing with kanthal. Then they said, "I’m using a Smok RCA/RTA!" The devices in the picture do not look like Smok products. I don't know what's going on here.
“If I Remember Correctly”

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Um if you are dripping onto the coil, and it works then, I'm going to suggest wicking issues (if I haven't already but like EXTRA now.) Dry hits, burnt an not enough taste plus "turning up the wattage and drawing like a golf ball through a hose," all are suggestive to me of TOO much wicking.

Now go forth and watch a bunch of youtube videos on how to wick your device (whatever it is) and 90 watts is too high for your coils, period. If your wicking is right, you probably won't need that much wattage to generate vape.

Anna

Reactions: bombastinator

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yes I did try to get rid of the hot spots in the coil before I wicked it and I’ve been at 90 watts before and after the change. My thought is not enough, or too much, wick? Could I be onto something?!

90 Watts is pretty Demanding of your Wicking. Especially if you are using a High VG e-Liquid.

When I do a New type of Coil Build, I like to use the Tried and True practice of starting off with a Low Wattage. And then Increasing it Slowly until I get to what taste I like.

• Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread