Burnt taste/PG substitute

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArcherB

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2013
United States
All of my liquids have a burnt taste after about a day's use with the same atomizer. Professionally made liquids don't cause this, but they are expensive and I'm poor (cheap) and like making my own. I don't like PG, so I try not to use it. If I take shorter, fewer drags, it's not a problem, but I like the long, slow drag and chain vaping. It happens on all atomizers and at the lowest wattage my MVP will do, 6.0 watts.

Here is what my liquids contain:
5-20% flavoring (with a PG base, all Perfumer/Flavor Apprentice)
20% nicotine (with a PG Base)
The rest is USP VG from a bottle purchased off the shelf at a big-box store that rhymes with "WallMart".

Since I believe the problem to be the thickness of the juice, I've began to add distilled water, which has helped some, but I don't know how much I should add or if it's a problem. What else I can do?

(My apologies if this has been answered before, but my search didn't turn up much)

Road_House

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2013
SE PA
Since I believe the problem to be the thickness of the juice, I've began to add distilled water, which has helped some, but I don't know how much I should add or if it's a problem. What else I can do?

How much water have you tried? I believe you could go 10 to 15% depending on how much pg flavor is in your mix. Less pg, more water.

ArcherB

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2013
United States
How much water have you tried? I believe you could go 10 to 15% depending on how much pg flavor is in your mix. Less pg, more water.

That depends on how much flavor I use. Lately, I've been adding all my ingredients except the VG, and then add water to fill it to 50%. It could be up to 20% H2O, which seems a bit much to me.

Road_House

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2013
SE PA
That depends on how much flavor I use. Lately, I've been adding all my ingredients except the VG, and then add water to fill it to 50%. It could be up to 20% H2O, which seems a bit much to me.

So if I am understanding correctly it's 20% pg flavor, 30% water and 50% vg? That would be thinner than 50 pg/50 vg mix so you shouldn't have wicking issues.

What hardware are you using? Volts, watts, resistance ? Looking for any other variable that could be a factor. Example: Kanger Protank with heads notorious for dry hits unless you remove a strand or 2 of the flavor wick. Flavors? Certain flavors if too high can taste burnt.

Edit: Read your original post and answered some of my questions :facepalm: Still don't see there should be a wicking problem. You may need to modify your technique and if the loooong draws and chain vaping are due to nic craving (been there) maybe bumping up your nic level would help.

Last edited:

ArcherB

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2013
United States
Close, but you forgot the nicotine, about 20%, that is PG based. Here's a couple of sample recipes:

10% Ry4 Double
05% Bavarian Cream
05% Caramel Candy
20% Nicotine
10% Water
50% VG
or
05% Juicy Peach
20% Nicotine
15% Water
60% VG

The first recipe almost did OK without the water, but still burns a little bit. At first, I thought it was the tobacco part of the flavor, but it's definitely burning. The second one burns as well, but I can I add more water? Is 25% water too much?

My hardware was originally an FastTech special 1300mAh Ego kit with generic Evod tanks (https://www.fasttech.com/products/1390605). The replacement tanks didn't fit quite right so I had to modify them by adding an extra rubber seal thingie to get it to seal at the center tube and core stem. This is all I had since July.

I got tired of the burnt taste so I purchased a genuine Kanger T3S. All it seemed to do was gurgle, leak and burn, all at the same time (didn't know that was possible!). I thought the tank sucked, even with a genuine Kanger replacement head.

At the first of this month, I was given an MVP2 by my wife, which came with an iclear 30. The i30 worked very well. Rarely burned.
Then, I went mad (actually I ordered this stuff in Sept, but didn't get it until this last Saturday... FastTech!). I bought a knock-off ProTank, two cheapo clearos, two 510-T atomizers, and 10 ProTank style replacement heads. Everything I've tried burned.

So, I put one of the replacement heads into the T3S and loaded it up with some nasty Hagsen Mint (https://www.fasttech.com/products/1389004) I had left over and tried it out. It worked perfectly. No gurgling. No leaking. No burning up to 7.5 watts. Other than the awful flavor, it worked great. This tells me the problem is my juice, not my hardware.

Thanks again for your time on this.

Last edited:

ArcherB

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2013
United States
If your juice is too thin,it will gurgle and leak on kanger bcc. Too high voltage it will burn,too thick and not proper wicking will also cause the burnt. Try,lowering the wattage.-voltage. Add only enough water to get the proper viosocity.

My wattage is currently at the minimum and on some juices I'm adding as much as 25% water to get to a 50% VG mix. My question is how much is too much water? Do all high VG juices have this problem? I've vaped some PG-free juices that didn't burn. What are they doing differently? (Their ingredient listed "Vegetable Glycerin, food grade flavorings, distilled water") Is it possible their VG was somehow different than mine?

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Don't add flavor just make a test sample of just the base and vape that see if you get a burnt taste. I would bet your coil needs cleaning, rebuilding or needs to be changed more then a problem with the juice. If your juice was to thick to begin with and you kept vaping and got lots of dry hits that will burn an atty in no time. If a fresh atty burns with just the base I would think about getting better quality base products. I never depended or trusted the quality of walmart vg. If with a fresh atty the base is OK examine the flavoring. To much of an already sweet flavor will burn an atty and so will adding to much sweetener.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread