Burnt Taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

crmartin

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2009
Western NY
I just started using a new 510 atty that I bought from Drew and am getting an awful burnt taste with it. I have tried blowing it out and tried different cartridges. It produces great vapor but the burnt taste is awful. It has been like this since I first started using it 2 days ago. Does this mean I have a defective cartridge?

cos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2009
St Petersburg Florida
hey crmartin. It may be because the atomiser is new and it has a primer protection thing on it and it will go away in time. That is the problem when you have a new atty on a 3 piece e cig. Like now on my 3 piece i have 3 old attys and 2 new. my 3 old ones are broken in kinda and they taste great with juice but i want to start using the new ones also and i am reluctant cause it will give me that lousy taste just like you are saying. I know someone posted how to fix this when you get a new atty but i forgot where i seen it. I need to do that also. So i dont think your 510 is no good its the atty. but keep asking around or better yet ask Drew himself. Hope everything works out for ya happy vaping

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
You want to get rid of it fast do this.. Add 2 drops to the atty bridge. Add a blank cart. Then puff away like a cigar without inhailing. Do that for 5 secs then let it cool down. I blow on the atty. Then do again.. When the vapor lessons, add another 2 drops.

Do that 3-4 times over and the blurt taste will be gone.

If you just want to clean the atty head here to a proven method. Sattec's atty cleaning test thread

Short version..

See if you have any mouthwash in the house.. if not buy some CREST Blue Pro Health Mouthwash.

Pore some in a small cup.. prob an inch or 2 high is only needed. Drop your atty in. Swish it around the cup to make sure it gets in the atty good and gets the air bubbles out.

Let it soak for 15 mins.

Then take it out and rinse it good under the runing water.

Now rinse the same cup out good. Fill the cup with water and add the atty back in and let it soak over night or 12 hours to get all the mouthwash out.

In the morning.. take it out of the cup of water.

Get the excess water out by blowing hard threw the battery connection end a few hard times. Then let it air dry for about 6 hours or so.

Some say you can just put it in the oven at 150 for a few mins to dry it faster.. i never have.

Once a week i rotate out a couple of attys.. so while i'm using a set another is cleaning. That way the long clean cycle isint that big of a deal.

I've done this plenty of times and never had a prob!

SpottedPony

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2009
Rattlesnake territory
CRMARTIN....you have been given a lot of valuable advise above concerning new atomizer care. Believe me...when I first started vaping I ruined 4 atomizers in the first 3 weeks not knowing "this stuff"...and I thought, "I don't see how one could "break even" w smoking - cost wise - at this rate of hardware use". I really wish I had then had the benefit of the info included in the above posts.
The atomizer can't be allowed to go dry....and all brand new ones have a horrid taste that has to be "puff vaped off"....i.e., not inhaled. I use the liquid I least like to "condition" a brand new atomizer...since I figure that is a good use for such liquids. I do what has already been described in detail. In short, drip a little liquid directly on the mesh bridge, put it on a well topped cartridge and puff (don't inhale) - puff multiple times......repeat)...the most important part is DON'T let it go dry. You will eventually be able to taste just the liquid when "puffing" and then you'll know it is "ready".

SpottedPony

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2009
Rattlesnake territory
Short version..

See if you have any mouthwash in the house.. if not buy some CREST Blue Pro Health Mouthwash.

Pore some in a small cup.. prob an inch or 2 high is only needed. Drop your atty in. Swish it around the cup to make sure it gets in the atty good and gets the air bubbles out.

hmmm. I am going to try this...I use hot vinegar and water which works pretty well....but mouthwash smells far better than vinegar...so I will give it a go.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    When I start with a new 510 atty, I simply blow thru it into a paper towel until no liquid is seen when dabbing the atty on the towel. I then drip 2-3 drops of liquid on the atty bridge and put the loaded cart on. I usually don't get any burnt taste. By the way, in case you don't know, blow from the threaded end.

crmartin

ECF Veteran
    Oct 1, 2009
    Western NY
    Thanks for the tips. I have blown out the primer juice but haven't soaked it yet. I just noticed the bottle of Blueberry Lung juice I have been using with this atty has dark clumps in the bottle, enough so that the spout has become clogged. I can't squeeze any juice out of the bottle, I wonder if that is what is creating the bad taste and, are the clumps in the juice normal? I just bought these last week. I haven't had any problems with any of my other addies.

needvapor

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2009
    Treasure Coast Florida =)
    Thanks for the tips. I have blown out the primer juice but haven't soaked it yet. I just noticed the bottle of Blueberry Lung juice I have been using with this atty has dark clumps in the bottle, enough so that the spout has become clogged. I can't squeeze any juice out of the bottle, I wonder if that is what is creating the bad taste and, are the clumps in the juice normal? I just bought these last week. I haven't had any problems with any of my other addies.

The recipe has been changed and if you mention to drew before you order next time he wil replace I am sure.

For the atty.. my favorite and the fasted method IMO is rinse in hot water and blow out and then drip everclear or highest grade alchohol you can find, drip on battery and take a few "mouth inhales" It will burn off any residue or primer. I clean my atty's like this. Hope this helps!
    Lori B

angjen0816

ECF Veteran
    Oct 19, 2009
    Menasha, WI

I had the same problem with mine. trust me its all good, just the way that batch turned out. Take the top off of the bottle (just pull it off by the pointy part) and rinse it out

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread