Burnt taste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

o0o

Verified Member
Feb 22, 2009
Godzone
Hi everyone ... got my first e-cig (penstyle, with a bottle of mint juice) this week and am enjoying it so far ... thanks to all the excellent videos and advice from all the forum members!

A couple of questions that I had, after vaping for the first 24hours, it started tasting a little weird (burnt?). So I figured it needed a top-up. Dripped some juice and worked fine for the next few hours ... after which, the burnt taste was back, and the cycle goes on. Now it seems that the burnt taste is more and more prevalent and is happening more frequently (after 4-5 puffs). I've tried a new cart, but the taste is still there ... is there a problem with my atomizer or am I doing something wrong :confused:?

Also, is the battery meant to light up while screwing it on to the atomizer or do I have an overly sensitive battery? Was at the pub last night and noticed that it lit up while it was in my pocket too ... and it wasn't even that noisy.

Slowed down now on the vaping, cos of the taste. Waiting for my second order to arrive to see if there's an improvement ... and to sample the different juices I have in that order :D

D_Struct

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Lufkin, TX
You've probably got a buildup of unatomized junk on and around your atomizer. It might not be a bad idea to put them in a pot to boil for a bit.

After they cool a little, blow on the battery connection side and get out all of the excess water. This might help clear some of that out.

If it doesn't help, you might have an atomizer on its way out.

Last edited:

o0o

Verified Member
Feb 22, 2009
Godzone
Yeah, I would echo what D_Struct has recommended; I was concerned when I read that you had been vapin for 24 hours before topping up.

If I did'nt read that too literally and you've been using it pretty much continuously, there's every chance you may have burnt out your atomiser.

Thanks for the quick replies! Should have been a little clearer when describing my issue ... was lightly vaping on and off (still on analogues) and only noticed the burnt taste after about 24 hours ... hope I didn't burn the atomizer out :(

I'll go home and try your suggestions and see how it goes :)

Smokin

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2008
UK
Hi o0o, sorry if I panicked you; the penstyle normally holds a good bit of liquid so if you were only vapin now and again you should be good to go. Give it a clean as per D_Struct and try again. Did you get two batteries with your e-cig, if so have you tried it to see if you still have the lighting up issue?

If no better tomorrow. I would return the full kit under warranty and get a replacement.

Worth holding out though as when these things work they are the dogs b......s.

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
'Burnt' taste is a sure indicator that your cartridge is dry. Topping off the cart with some e-liquid, switching to a new cart or switching to a re-filled cart should take care of the problem. Topping off is only good for a half dozen drags. Keep some fresh carts available or you will spend more time topping off than enjoying the e-cig.

As to boiling an atomizer, I have heard of folks doing that, but I would caution against such drastic measure as a first course of action. Blow the atomizer out, with your mouth, from the end that connects to the battery. Turn it upside down on a paper towel overnight to let any accumulated fluid leech out. Only if your atomizer seems clogged, foul or dead would you rinse it in a stream of warm tap water, blow it out and set it upside down to dry. Before putting it into use, put one or two drops of eliquid into the atomizer to get it moist, load up a cartridge and vape away.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Batteries automatically turning on - that's because you got auto batteries and they can accidentally trigger from wind or vibration. I use manual batteries.

Burnt taste -
- cart or carto too dry
- if cart - stuffing dropped in a bit and not contacting atty well, or filling has gotten clumpy and not wicking well
- if atty, you could remove and try blowing it out
- if atty, depending on how much you've vaped it may be time to clean the atty. I rotate 2 and keep a 3rd unused spare.

But if your burnt taste goes away after topping off cart then maybe your cart needs new stuffing. I can only get about 4 days use out of the stuffing that comes in my carts. Then I switch them to blue foam stuffing.

Every weekend I start cleaning the one I used all week and switch to my clean dry one (after priming it with some juice). The used one gets dropped and swished in a jar of alcohol, and swishing occasionally I leave it all night, next day I shake it out and set it on paper towels to dry.

BlackMetalBuick

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2010
Chicago, IL
I agree with fiercemoose. Moreso than gunk on the atty or simply that you were low on fluid, the real culprit is that once you get low on fluid, the wick will start to dry, and eventually gets burned. I've been vaping for about 2 weeks and have already removed my fair share of wicks with black burnt spots on them. Try removing it.

fiercemoose

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2010
Fresno, CA
www.ecigology.com
I agree with fiercemoose. Moreso than gunk on the atty or simply that you were low on fluid, the real culprit is that once you get low on fluid, the wick will start to dry, and eventually gets burned. I've been vaping for about 2 weeks and have already removed my fair share of wicks with black burnt spots on them. Try removing it.

You're lucky that it only took you two weeks to discover this. It took me like 2 months! What's strange is how few people actually realize that this is the reason the taste happens. I used to get a ton of advice about how my carts were too dry, my atty was "dying", etc. and it just isn't true! De-wicking takes about 5 mins tops and will restore the atty to like-new condition. Try it, you'll be surprised at how well it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread