Burt silica taste after new heads are installed on protank 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vap3ster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Miami
I started to have a problem when I install a new head 2.2 and 2.5 I get a burnt silica taste.

My procedure for changing heads is I open the new head up take out 1 wick. Wet it with ejuice and pop it back together with just 1 wick on top of the the coil wick with rubber spacer removed.

Lately once I start vaping a new head I taste a bunt silica taste. I know the taste because I once dry burned a head as a test to see if i wanted to use it as part of my clean procedure and decided against it since it leaves a nasty taste.

I ordered a new protank 2 and a new vamo thinking maybe I had bent threads shorting out the heads.

Even with the new tank and mod I am having the burt silica taste when I install a new head.

I use 30/70 VG/PG juice and vape between 3.7 and 3.9.

I have had 7 protanks since they came out and only recently started having this problem?

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
I didn't read the entire thread....but I rebuild my own coils...and I ALWAYS get a burnt taste at first. This is completely normal, and the coils have to be broken in.

What I do, is the first 5 draws or so on a new coil....I set the voltage to 3.2 on my twist....and I take SLOW and STEADY draws.....and only draw into my mouth, then release.....that way I dont really taste the burnt/off taste.

Also, remember that when you first install a new coil, the wick is DRY. It helps to take a few puffs from your PV WITHOUT pushing the button......and it also helps letting a tank sit for 5-10 minutes on a new coil before firing it up.

But yea, every single one of my new coils tastes nasty at first, until I break it in. Luckily for me, my coils ALWAYS break in quickly. 5 long draws is usually all it takes.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
All heads taste bad to me at first. But even after the break-in I was getting no flavor with the Kanger heads. Only juice I could taste was tobacco NETs. Then I got an Aro Pyrex and the flavor was GREAT. ECF member ScottP then informed me the Aro heads will work in the PT2 (though Kanger heads won't work in the Aro). Now the PT2 is my current favorite device! The Aro heads perform MUCH BETTER than the Kanger heads imo and make the PT2 a truly GREAT vape.

However the Aro heads do tend to leak a bit on to the pin, even when used in the Aro tank. But it's minimal and doesn't bother me. I am so happy I only have to buy one type of head now to fit my two favorite pyrex tanks!

Anyway, it's a thought. If you continue to run into problems you might try picking up a couple Aro heads to give them a try on the PT2.

EDIT: Speak of the devil... :D ScottP, you are a WELL of useful information!

Last edited:

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
I started to have a problem when I install a new head 2.2 and 2.5 I get a burnt silica taste.

My procedure for changing heads COILS is I open the new head up take out 1 wick. Wet it with ejuice and pop it back together with just 1 wick on top of the the coil wick with rubber spacer removed.

Lately once I start vaping a new head I taste a bunt silica taste. I know the taste because I once dry burned a head as a test to see if i wanted to use it as part of my clean procedure and decided against it since it leaves a nasty taste.

I ordered a new protank 2 and a new vamo thinking maybe I had bent threads shorting out the heads.

Even with the new tank and mod I am having the burt silica taste when I install a new head.

I use 30/70 VG/PG juice and vape between 3.7 and 3.9.

I have had 7 protanks since they came out and only recently started having this problem?

-you install a NEW COIL(no burnt, it's new)
-you pull the chimney top off the COIL and remove one of the flavor wicks, then add fluid directly too remaining flavor wick
-then reinstall the chimney top on the COIL
-then you REMOVE the silicone CUP SEAL ?

well if that's what your doing (removing the 'cup seal' ) that would be your problem
when you remove that cup seal it turns the mouthpiece into a straw

the cup seal allows you to make a seal between air/fluid which creates and maintains a vacuum and draws
fluid THROUGH your wick, if not, your not getting sufficient amount of fluid and creates instant wick burn...

(I think I said that right) IMO :blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread