Status
Not open for further replies.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
On everything I have, either flat or button will work but there are some that you have to use a specific battery or they just won't work. Here is a link that will show you some of the different battery preferences. Spinfuel e Cigarette Battery Chart

Not much help here explaining the exact "why" but I'm sure someone that knows more than me will help you and I look forward to learning why myself. Thank you for posting this questions. Here is another great place to learn about batteries and other stuff too. I have enjoyed his blogs and highly recommend people read them. I hope doesn't mind me send people there. I doubt he does because the people here are so wonderful.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/5162-11-deeper-understanding-mod-batteries-part-ii.html

iacchus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2013
Gulf Coast - USA
Generally, all cells are manufactured as flat tops, and the ones offered as button tops have the button placed on afterwards (before they get wrapped, during the point in the process where the PCB would be added, if they are protected). This is why you even see some of the same batteries offered each way.

As for why, there are several reasons. One of the most common is that it is a simple way to design something to be reverse battery protected without a chip to sense it. As I understand it, this is why the Provari needs button tops.

Same idea for flashlights. Mostly, it is just a design decision. Many mechs will take both button or flat tops.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I see both offered but why? will they both work? I use them in flashlights as well as my MOD

There's a definite "it depends" for ya.

You have to follow the manufacturer's info for the PV in question. Certain PV's - like a Reo - have switch contact points designed for button tops. Other PV's - like the Cool Fire - have very low tolerances for battery length and the smallest amount of added length from a button top can cause problems with getting the battery end cap fully in place. You need to know what type is correct - or when it doesn't matter - depending on the specific PV.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread