The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Buying Smok TFV8 Cloud beast, best DNA 200 mod?

Discussion in 'VV/VW APV Discussion' started by Tunka, Feb 17, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Tunka

Tunka Full Member

May 31, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA
    {solved}Title says it all. I'm really liking what I'm seeing on the Smok Cloud Beast tank. So, I'm going to get one. However, my Drags don't have enough power to really fire those high watt coils. The Cloud Beast coils run from 50 to 280 watts, best around 150 to 180. My Drags will do 177- 180 but, I want some reserve power above that.
    I'm looking for input on a new box mod that can fire up to 200- 250 watts with a nice quick ramp up. I watched a video by Mike Vapes and he recommended a DNA 200 type mod. I have a small Eleaf Invoke that could fire it but, I'm afraid it may get too hot.
    There's a crapper load of DNA 200- 250 mods out there and I am lost as to which one I should get and I don't have the time or the inclination to watch dozens of reviews on YT. I did watch a review of one called a "Triade" by Lost Vape but, it's a triple battery mod and all my batteries are paired up for dual battery usage.
    Help some one! Please HELP ME! :blink:

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    Have you actually bought and tried the tank yet? There's an excellent chance it'll be fine with way less wattage than those inflated numbers from Smok are. No idea why anyone would feel the need to use it at that high a wattage just because its "recommended" is a made up figure to encourage sales.

If you feel you have to run that high a wattage you need a 3 battery mod. Two batteries for 200W, even if it actually can do that (just because the screen says 200W doesn't mean you're really getting 200W) won't last you very long in runtime.

A DNA board is sorta useless for a Smok tank as there's really no TC coils from Smok you can use. Any other 3 battery solution will work for you for less money. As to batteries, no getting around it. You'll have to buy some new sets you can make threesomes out of. Not so terrible as threesomes can be fun.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Skeebo

Skeebo Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I never got that tank even with the "big" coil in it above 80 watts. I'd buy the tank first and make sure you like it. Coils are pricey and can be problematic at times. When I did use that tanke the best coil I liked for flavor was the dual coil one and if I can remember correctly it was good at 40 watts.

DNA mods are great, I own 3 myself. However, I agree with Eskie it's not really needed for your intended use.

• Like Like x 2
  4. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    150-180w?? You must be talking about that 8x coil designed for cloud chasing.
    Just because a mod can reach a given voltage for a short time doesn’t mean it does it well.
    You don’t want a two battery mod if you want any kind of battery life. Maybe a 2x21700. Probably a 3 or 4x18650
    As @Eskie said, a DNA mod will be useless to you anyway with that coil unless it happens to be coiled with a TC wire such as stainless steel. I’ve looked a few places and I cant find any info one way or the other. Given that it is a SMOK coil though I’d say it’s unlikely.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Tunka

Tunka Full Member

May 31, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah, I know at high burn the batteries run down quick. And the juice usage is outrageous. Thanks :)

• Like Like x 3
  6. Tunka

Tunka Full Member

May 31, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Gotta thank yinz. I was perusing the other threads and found a cool little mod. Gonna spend my cabbage on a Aegis Legend. I work outdoors and this nearly indestructible mod will serve me great! Thanks again!

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I do remember talking to a vape shop guy awhile ago about that coil. According to him it was specifically designed, much like a factory built race car, exclusively to win cloud chasing competitions. There was a 300w 4 battery mod specifically designed as well. That mod still may not produce decent vape time as it was meant for what is effectively drag racing rather than daily use. It was a regulated device though which implies the coil might have or at one time may have come in a TC metal

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Are you gonna try to get the homeowners believe you are using the lawnmower/tractor as you loaf and blow clouds?

IDK it's just a thought. I'd say a legend mod is great for your purposes.

Pack a lot of batteries and juice, I'd say but you can stash them with the fictional tools, etc.

I am kidding. As it happens. Have fun I guess.

Anna

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.