C-SPAN2 starting tobacco coverage now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slea

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2009
Tennessee, USA
This afternoon will conclude discussion of the tobacco bill that hands over regulatory authority over all tobacco products to the FDA. The final vote is set for 5:30 p.m. today (Monday).

It's live on C-Span2.

So, I'm sorry I'm a little behind...

Will this complete passage in both houses on the same form of the bill?

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
So, I'm sorry I'm a little behind...

Will this complete passage in both houses on the same form of the bill?

The Senate version is slightly different. There are also a number of proposed amendments. But yes, if it passes the Senate it goes to the president.

Of course, that won't mean e-cigarettes will disappear from the market tomorrow. Even if the bill passes, the FDA will still need to formulate policy and there'll likely be legal challenges that slow a comprehensive ban down (assuming they issue one.)

Slea

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2009
Tennessee, USA
The Senate version is slightly different. There are also a number of proposed amendments. But yes, if it passes the Senate it goes to the president.

Of course, that won't mean e-cigarettes will disappear from the market tomorrow. Even if the bill passes, the FDA will still need to formulate policy and there'll likely be legal challenges that slow a comprehensive ban down (assuming they issue one.)

Okay, but if the senate version is different and has amendments, doesn't the house have to pass the same one?

Slea

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2009
Tennessee, USA
Okay, thanks. I thought I was losing it.

So the amendments are what I'm really interested in, here. This wouldn't be final passage yet. Are any of the proposed amendments of interest to us?

(I wrote my senators regarding amending the bill but one failed to respond and the other thanked me for my letter on climate change, so I don't suppose *they* helped!)

OutWest

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Oklahoma USA
www.alternasmokes.com
Okay, but if the senate version is different and has amendments, doesn't the house have to pass the same one?
The house and senate can get together and flesh out the differences between both versions and send that to the president. So no, the senate version wouldnt have to be put through the house.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
Huh?

They are talking about nuclear modernization/reduction programs?

Sen. Kyl speaking.

That's how the Senate works. They have several topics open for debate each day they're in session. Speakers will get up and talk about their pet project as they have the floor. Unless there's only one topic up for debate (rare) you'll see people talk about different issues over the course of the session.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread