C-SPAN2 starting tobacco coverage now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
Highest debt load ever incurred by a government on it's people in History should give us a little pause. It will take a lot more than 20 years to get back to what it was like 20 years ago.

Yeah, but if you follow politics, you know that this has been the case for the last several administrations. The Bush White House initiated the largest, most expensive federal budget to that point based on running two wars, starting the DHS and spending like drunken sailors on countless pet projects. The Obama administration, faced with a crashing economy, hasn't had much choice but to spend its way out of the crisis... but that hasn't stopped them from spending on pet projects too.

Bush had 9/11 on his watch and was left with little choice but to spend a mountain of money to address it.

Obama has the screwed up Bush economy to fix and has little choice but to spend a mountain of money to address it.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Uncontrolled federal spending isn't limited to one party or the other. They're both equally guilty.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
FDA regulated? FDA approved? Sweet.

Now I'll go buy some packs for my kids to enjoy while they eat their Cheerios. Crap, now they can't have Cheerios. tobacco is fiber, right? :evil:

Ivisi

/sarcasm off

General Mills got crossways with the FDA for the same reason that Smoking Everywhere did. They made patently un-proven health claims about their product. General Mills (and Quaker Oats, though they didn't get as much bad publicity about it) claimed that oat products reduced cholesterol. The ONLY products that have been proven by peer review to reduce cholesterol are the statin drugs like Crestor. That's why they got in trouble, not because the FDA was out of line or the federal government was being unreasonable.

denec

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2009
NYC
Yeah, but if you follow politics, you know that this has been the case for the last several administrations. The Bush White House initiated the largest, most expensive federal budget to that point based on running two wars, starting the DHS and spending like drunken sailors on countless pet projects. The Obama administration, faced with a crashing economy, hasn't had much choice but to spend its way out of the crisis... but that hasn't stopped them from spending on pet projects too.

Bush had 9/11 on his watch and was left with little choice but to spend a mountain of money to address it.

Obama has the screwed up Bush economy to fix and has little choice but to spend a mountain of money to address it.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Uncontrolled federal spending isn't limited to one party or the other. They're both equally guilty.

sorry to say but spending and taxing your way out of a recession never fixes the problem...it just never does...

WerkIt

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
They made patently un-proven health claims about their product. General Mills (and Quaker Oats, though they didn't get as much bad publicity about it) claimed that oat products reduced cholesterol. .

What is so bad about making statements based upon scientifically proven FACTS? Oh wait. Big Pharma can't charge out the ... for cholesterol drugs if people start eating oatmeal, can they? On the other hand, the FDA has done this before. God forbid someone mention cherries ease arthritis symptoms and thereby ROB Big Pharma of the profits they so richly deserve for their drugs. (And we can't figure out why we have a healthcare crisis? Yeah, statins are CHEAPER than oatmeal, right?)

The ONLY products that have been proven by peer review to reduce cholesterol are the statin drugs like Crestor. That's why they got in trouble, not because the FDA was out of line or the federal government was being unreasonable.

Just because Big Pharma demands their profits, does not mean oatmeal doesn't lower cholestrol (as do other fiber containiing foods such as bran), as has been proven in study after study after study.

SHHH! Don't tell anyone about the time I cured my own urinary tract infection with cranberry juice. Our benevolent rulers have deemed that illegal!

Last edited:

Ivisi

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
Orlando, FL
www.composed-chaos.com
sorry to say but spending and taxing your way out of a recession never fixes the problem...it just never does...

FDR had the best of both worlds. The ability to spend us out of the Great Depression, and a war to spend it on. WW2 spending did a lot to aid the prosperity of this country following the worst economic disaster to hit it, and we were able to spend it towards a very worthwhile cause that a vast majority (it's never all) of Americans could rally behind.

Ivisi

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
What is so bad about making statements based upon scientifically proven FACTS? Oh wait. Big Pharma can't charge out the ... for cholesterol drugs if people start eating oatmeal, can they? On the other hand, the FDA has done this before. God forbid someone mention cherries ease arthritis symptoms and thereby ROB Big Pharma of the profits they so richly deserve for their drugs. (And we can't figure out why we have a healthcare crisis?)

Just because Big Pharma demands their profits, does not mean oatmeal is beneficial at lowering cholestrol (as are other fiber containiing foods such as bran), as has been proven in study after study after study.

I'm not denying any of that. The issue isn't if oatmeal is effective at managing cholesterol, the issue is the language General Mills used. We can dispute the motivations for the kinds of regulations the FDA has in place, but the bottom line is that General Mills knew the limitations and chose to ignore them. That's why they got clipped.

OutWest

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Oklahoma USA
www.alternasmokes.com
News Flash: the current economic crisis was created by a combination of government deregulation and uncontrolled spending driven mainly (but not exclusively) by Republicans in the White House and in Congress.
some of that deregulation started during Clinton's reign.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
yes and we are still paying for it now...

he is not the hero everyone makes him out to be

I guess it's not particularly surprising that there would be a lot of right wing partisans on a board that's essentially dedicated to smoking. I'm not begrudging you your viewpoint, but I think it would behoove people on both sides of the political spectrum to focus more on facts than on rhetoric.

Just sayin'.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
some of that deregulation started during Clinton's reign.

Indeed it did. In fact, Clinton has a ton of blame on his hands. He took NAFTA from Bush I and ran with it, leading to many of the core problems we see today. But the main deregulation push began with Reagan and has been supported primarily by Republicans. I'm not saying that to smear Republicans, because both parties share the blame. But all you have to do is look at the legislative record to see who most strongly favored it over the last 30 years.

denec

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2009
NYC
I guess it's not particularly surprising that there would be a lot of right wing partisans on a board that's essentially dedicated to smoking. I'm not begrudging you your viewpoint, but I think it would behoove people on both sides of the political spectrum to focus more on facts than on rhetoric.

Just sayin'.

I based it on studies by economists on why the great depression was so prolonged

WerkIt

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
I'm not denying any of that. The issue isn't if oatmeal is effective at managing cholesterol, the issue is the language General Mills used.

Here's the claims:

"Thus, claims that the 68-year-old whole-grain oat cereal lowers cholesterol and reduces the risk of heart disease and cancer violates federal law, the agency said."

The problem is it DOES lower the levels of bad cholestrol which DOES lower the risk of heart disease and cancer. General Mills is in trouble for repeateing scientifically verified FACTS.

calligal

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
California
anybody have a realistic timeline for the count down to panic. how much reserve do we need. i only have the Today sponge ban as refferance and that was less than six months before you just couldn't find them. they are back on the market but rarely advertised. took 6 or 8 years i think

I loved that episode in Seinfeld. Elaine had stockpiled cases of the sponge in her closet. She was trying to decide if a guy was "spongeworthy" and George girlfriend didn't have one but would only use sponge. He couldn't find one anywhere so went to Elaines and she wouldn't give him one.

Will that be us? Someone will ask to try it and we'll be "No, you can't get them anymore and I need every vap!"8-o

Ivisi

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
Orlando, FL
www.composed-chaos.com
I loved that episode in Seinfeld. Elaine had stockpiled cases of the sponge in her closet. She was trying to decide if a guy was "spongeworthy" and George girlfriend didn't have one but would only use sponge. He couldn't find one anywhere so went to Elaines and she wouldn't give him one.

Will that be us? Someone will ask to try it and we'll be "No, you can't get them anymore and I need every vap!"8-o

"Can you spare a square?"

I really hope that's not what it comes down to.

Ivisi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread