Status
Not open for further replies.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Schwarzenegger issues mass veto threat - UPI.com

"Among the 700 measures that could wind up in the trash bin under Schwarzenegger's threatened mass veto include bills to increase war veterans' benefits, extra funding to low-performing schools and protections against predatory mortgage lending, the Los Angeles Times reported Wednesday."

Do you think SB400 is in that pile of 700???? :shock:

Thanks to my friend for finding this article for me :)

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
PaulZ -

I have no idea! Considering he needs to veto this by Monday, I would *assume* pretty soon? According to their schedule: Legislative Calendar I don't know how this works out considering their last day to pass anything was September 11th. Maybe Tom09 can weigh in?

However, I read an article or someone told me... can't remember which, that Arnold HATES legislation specifically for one thing. So knowing this, it is probably unlikely that the ecig will get a bill of it's own in California. But... who knows you know!?!

PaulZ

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2009
he has a pretty good track record of vetoing a lot of what comes through from legislation, unless he proposed anything originally.

i looked into it, after things "pass" he has 30 days to sign for or veto the bill, after 30 days if he doesnt veto it - it becomes law anyway. basically - no need to sign for anything, but if he's known to sign or veto everything instead of just letting law become law - i see a good chance of him vetoing this. especially if he wants to prove a point to legislation.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
well... this is definitely positive in my book.

from everything you just noted (Paul) and everything I have read regarding him... if letters from consumers regarding their PV's are making it to him, then we have a fighting chance.

Then, I would strongly suggest that those who are in Cali, if this does get a veto, still keep working on the organizations who are against tobacco to see that the ecig is in fact in direct competition with the ones they want to see gone. It is apparent that they need to understand that the ecig is their friend and that by supporting such products, they are doing more harm to the tobacco industry than they would by passing law after law after law.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
I think this is what the Doc ordered, will be watching!! If nothing else, it will cause such a food fight that they get nothing accomplished. That's a good political move, don't do anything. Take a vacation. Get off the TV! Every time they do that the stock market goes up, so must be a good thing. Course, they always include the things that do need attention, just to make it partisan, do these people know we're on to that strategy?? How divisive that is?? Do they care??
We can only hope this comes out with SB400 getting buried in the garbage. Where the stinking thing belongs!

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Lets hope so Lacey, I sent him an email with my opinions. I don't know if he'll put much thought to it since I live in Minnesota. I did let him know that his actions on allowing that bill to become law has potential to effect me in Minnesota as other states may follow suit.

*crosses fingers*

Everyone who hasn't already, get busy emailing, and tell your loved ones to do the same, please.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Even if the Governor veto's this, it is the same with the FDA lawsuit... just because the judge says something... doesn't mean that we can all sit back and vape in peace.

There will be organizations and persons hell bent on seeing an end to vaping, for whatever their reasons. We just have to keep speaking up, over and over so that those who are writing/passing legislation know that we will not be going away... ever.

Vicks Vap-Oh-Yeah, on Right to Vape made the point that we should take a lesson from the Gay Rights movement:

"Take a look at the gay community. How many years/decades/centuries were they programmed to feel shame, and made into caractures of ridicule and disgust, simply because they practiced a lifestyle that was beyond the norm?

Look at what they've done within the last 15 or so years...... they're getting vocal, they're coming out, they're getting the mainstream populations used to their lifestyle.... they're DEMANDING their rights, and they're GETTING them!

We need to take a lesson from them - and win over public approval, which, in my mind, means education and openness. We need to vape openly, we need to educate the public on how these are NOT invasive/unusual/evil products, we need to point out to each and every person we encounter that the FDA is basing their fears on groundless and/or shoddy science, and we need to start making some serious noise."

We are literally in year ONE of our fight... we have a way to go.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Well this explains why he didn't veto it right away, he's collecting them :D

Definitely would be a good thing, but remember that the CA legislature has a history of overriding vetoes.

I doubt they will overturn this one though, the original vote was painfully close to even. You need at least 2/3 vote to overturn a veto, if i remember correctly

Tom09

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
Germany

Seems as if the Governor is holding 700 measures hostage to pressure some advancement on a subject of importance. Hostages get released once a deal is reached. May not be the best if something little in the scale of things gets part of a bigger deal.
But I don’t relly think that a mass veto will realize and would expect decisions on a case basis. I certainly hope that many good reasons to veto SB 400 get to the Governor’s office (until Friday 9) - so that he feels highly motivated to veto this bill (last day is Sunday 11). By Monday we should know the outcome. *fingers crossed*

webtaxman

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
The issue has always been the amount of water taken from Northern California farmers, and allotted to Southern CA. Northern CA has the main source of water. SoCal could not survive without water appropriations.

Arnold wants to put an end this problem and establish "his legacy." He has threatened to veto "everything" a few times in the past, but he really has no backing from any majority. I am pretty sure no one believes him. But this is IS HIS LAST CHANCE to do something out of the box. I wouldn't put it past him to veto everything. This is the last time he can actually pull it off.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Awwwww - Lacey, I'm honored to have you quote me!

I love you and you know it :)

Plus, it's an excellent lesson to learn from!

As is for suppliers, the lesson of the tobacco industry and it's shameful existence, hiding, lying and frankly making a product really bad for it's consumers. As suppliers, we should do everything to not follow in our big, bad brother's footsteps.

We are in an excellent position to do this the right way and not allow history to repeat itself... from both a suppliers/manufacturers perspective and a consumer perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread