Caliber 7mm Mod from Ikenvape Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
The 7mm mod (available at Ikenvape) is a 510 atomizer based, 14500 battery mod. The device is constructed of aluminum with a commercial brass 510 atty connector (appears to be a standard 510 connector from Heavens Gift based upon markings). The package included an Ikenvape 1.8ohm 510 atty. The device is a bottom button, mechanical mod. It functioned using a variety of 510 atomizers from other manufacturers.

Pros:

The device really does look like a bullet. Externally, seams between various components blended well giving it a "one piece" look. The seams are only really noticible under close examination. The bullet shaped drip tip is nicely done, in general, and completes the look of the device. When completely assembled, the device is far lighter than I expected. It feels noticably lighter than a fully assembled eGo. The mod is also relatively corrosion resistant. When I received an aluminum Megalodon from ElectronicStix, it only took a day for me to see oxidation on the unit. I have yet to see any oxidation on the 7mm. This is not to say that it won't, but so far (almost a week) its still shiny. Finally, it is a hand made, unique, custom mod that functions for less than $100.

Cons:

The device had some minor issues when it arrived. I wish to stress that none of these affected functionality. I tend to be really nit-picky so take these comments in that spirit.

The bottom button was somewhat canted. I disassembled the unit and noticed that the spring was the culprit. It applied uneven pressure to the surfaces which caused one side of the button to sit lower than the other. The contact screw which holds the button assembly together was slightly loose in the threads which contributed to aggravating this issue. I used a small slice of aluminum foil to take up the play in the threads and reassembled the button assembly. I also used a larger switch spring from a Precise P16 to rectify the uneven spring that came with the unit. The button now sits level and functions smoothly.

Another issue I had was that, when assembled, the cone inner diameter was so close to the outer diameter of the drip tip that it caused one side to push against the drip tip. This caused the bullet drip tip to sit at a seriously off angle. I used a finish reamer to open the inner diameter of the cone by a few 10,000ths". This kept the original appearance and took about 70% of the pressure off the tip. The drip tip still sat somewhat loosely in every atomizer I tried. I attempted to fix this by using a slightly larger o-ring. Unfortunately, the next size up was still too large. I resorted to adding small, precisely cut strips of aluminum foil in the o-ring trench. The o-ring was placed back into the trench over the foil making the drip tip sit very snuggly in the atty. When completely reassembled, the tighter drip tip was able to resist the pressure from the device's cone and not sit at an off angle.

Lastly, some of the threads were left with minor burrs and small partially attached shavings. I had the pleasure of removing a few from my hands after cleaning the unit. It's not a big deal to me since I spend quite a bit of time playing with sharp objects.

Conclusion

Being a gun guy, I actually enjoy the heck out of this mod. It works and looks great. It's not without its flaws, but I consider each of them to be extremely minor. It's a limited production item from a small shop. It's not a mass produced mod made on state of the art machinery. Anyone who has owned an older Colt pistol will more than understand that anything made by hand will have variations in it that will make each unit a hair different from every other. My device may be the only one to have any of these issues for all I know. I guess I could have sent the mod back for tweaks, but that is not my nature. None of my little nit-picky observations made any difference as to the functioning of the device.

If you are a dripper and a gun person, I'm sure you'll like the mod. If you just want a lightweight mechanical mod, you'll probably be pleased as well.

One last item of note is that, unlike most tube mods which use a spring to adjust for various sized batteries, this mod will only function with a specific make/model of 14500 battery. The device uses the AW high drain IMR14500 and other batteries with near identical dimensions. I was able to use the AW IMR and Tenergy IMR batteries without issues. Other styles may work but none of my protected AW's, Trustfires, or Ultrafires would fit. This is noted on the website, but I just figured that I would also mention it as well.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Solid review, it sounds like a cool PV for a narrow market niche. It's odd that batteries with the same designation would fit differently but that is certainly not the PV manufactures issue.

Thanks Omnipanzer

The 14500 is a nice battery but dimensions are all over the place between manufacturers. The Tenergy batteries are just a hair shorter than the AWs. The protected versions are all considerably longer than unprotected or IMR chemistry versions. Trustfires are thicker than AWs and Ultrafires are even thicker. I even have Tenergys that are thicker than each other in the same type and size.

AWs IMO really are the most consistent as far as sizing. I'm gradually phasing out all of my other batteries in various sizes, in favor of the AWs.

TUC

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2011
Central Texas
invape.com
What would you say are the pros and cons between the two?

Hey guys,I have both the 7mm and 308 and I gotta say I love them both.They do have their little quirks that need attention but this is almost expected being hand made on manual machines.I can't wait until the larger 50 cal comes out which uses a 18650 it will be mine for sure.

jkoppk

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2011
hanover,PA.
What would you say are the pros and cons between the two?

Well the pros with the .308 is a bit more battery life and the flavor the Ikenvape 801 minis give.The 7mm has slightly less vape time but really shines with the Ikenvape io6's.I thought my favorite was the .308 but I keep going back and forth and my son and I switch every few days.Both vape really well and I really can't pick one over the other and their only real short coming is battery life.Of course with the 7mm you have the option to use 510,306,and io6 attys where you can only use the 801 minis on the .308.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread