Caliburn G dry hits

Status
Not open for further replies.

mox5518

May 18, 2022
Hello, not sure if i’m allowed to post this here, please correct me if i’m not allowed.

So yesterday i picked up a uwell Caliburn G with extra coils, pods and liquids. When i filled up the first pod, it leaked out of the air hole (while i filled up the pod correctly!). I went back and showed the shop, they gave me a new pod. I filled up the new pod, installed a new coil, i left it sitting to prime. i used it after two hours of priming, and i immediately got a dry hit, almost no flavour and very hot air. I’m thinking of sending it back to get my money back. Is there anyone that has experience with this?

Reactions: Izan

mox5518

May 18, 2022
Hi and welcome,

How long have you smoked?
How many per day?
What is the nicotine content of the juice you have? Is it salt based? What is the PG/VG ratio?
Have you used an electronic cigarette previously or is this your first experience?
Where are you located?

Cheers
I
Hi,

I smoked mainly in the weekends (somewhat like 10 cigs per week). The nic content of the liquid is 3mg/ml. It’s a freebase. PG/VG is 50/50. I used some disposables and a closed pod system before. And i’m in the Netherlands!

But just wondering if i’m doing something wrong, i filled the pod through the filling hole, with a long tip needle bottle. I waited 2 hours to let the liquid soak into the cotton and still got a dry hit. I did that twice and the same result! It’s just annoying me and I kinda want to go back to elfbar disposables since i really liked them.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi,

I smoked mainly in the weekends (somewhat like 10 cigs per week). The nic content of the liquid is 3mg/ml. It’s a freebase. PG/VG is 50/50. I used some disposables and a closed pod system before. And i’m in the Netherlands!

But just wondering if i’m doing something wrong, i filled the pod through the filling hole, with a long tip needle bottle. I waited 2 hours to let the liquid soak into the cotton and still got a dry hit. I did that twice and the same result! It’s just annoying me and I kinda want to go back to elfbar disposables since i really liked them.

It sounds like you are doing things the correct way. :thumbs:
I like to drop two or three drops into the "chimney" to encourage the saturation of the wicking material. Let it sit and then flick/blow/blot the extra juice away before use.

In your place, I would return to the store and seek assistance.
Two burned/bad pods are not a good sign.

Just for clarity, is the unit the Caliburn G or the G2?
Apparently, the newer G2 model is superior in every way and is recommended over the model "G".

Hope that helps.
Best of luck on your journey away from cigarettes.
I

Reactions: smacuser

NHale

May 14, 2022
I don't have a Caliburn, but thinking of getting one.
But I use a Vuse Alto, and occasionally can taste that the coil isn't getting saturated, even when it's new/full. What I do is remove the pod, put my finger on the air intake on the bottom, and blow gently/briefly into the mouthpiece. That will force juice into the wicking area. Once it gets started, it should wick okay from then on. But once you've had a good dry hit, it's burned the cotton, and you won't get rid of the taste.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I filled up the new pod, installed a new coil, i left it sitting to prime. i used it after two hours of priming, and i immediately got a dry hit

IMHO, that passive method of priming is hogwash. First of all, do not fill the pod 100%. Leave some airspace. Then do an active prime...instead of letting it sit, hold the pod between the thumb and index finger and suck on it to get some juice pulled into the coil head. Then let it sit for 5-10 min. Then try it.

• Agree
    Reactions: ShamrockPat

mox5518

May 18, 2022
    It sounds like you are doing things the correct way. :thumbs:
    I like to drop two or three drops into the "chimney" to encourage the saturation of the wicking material. Let it sit and then flick/blow/blot the extra juice away before use.

In your place, I would return to the store and seek assistance.
    Two burned/bad pods are not a good sign.

Just for clarity, is the unit the Caliburn G or the G2?
    Apparently, the newer G2 model is superior in every way and is recommended over the model "G".

Hope that helps.
    Best of luck on your journey away from cigarettes.
    I
    Thanks for your reply, it is the Caliburn G, they didn’t have the G2…

IMHO, that passive method of priming is hogwash. First of all, do not fill the pod 100%. Leave some airspace. Then do an active prime...instead of letting it sit, hold the pod between the thumb and index finger and suck on it to get some juice pulled into the coil head. Then let it sit for 5-10 min. Then try it.

Yes i have read about that method too. I will be going back to the shop to let them take a look at it and possibly tell me what’s wrong.

Also, the liquid is completely clear, instead of yellow-ish. Could it be that the liquid is no good?

NHale

May 14, 2022
    Thanks for your reply, it is the Caliburn G, they didn’t have the G2…

Yes i have read about that method too. I will be going back to the shop to let them take a look at it and possibly tell me what’s wrong.

Also, the liquid is completely clear, instead of yellow-ish. Could it be that the liquid is no good?
    I don't know what your liquid is supposed to look like, but I doubt that affects it. Even if it's old, that likely wouldn't affect the viscosity and wicking performance. Higher vg content can make it slower to wick. Although I don't think the caliburn struggles with 50/50. I made some 70vg for people that have a Caliburn - I don't remember which model - and it worked okay.

mox5518

May 18, 2022
    I don't know what your liquid is supposed to look like, but I doubt that affects it. Even if it's old, that likely wouldn't affect the viscosity and wicking performance. Higher vg content can make it slower to wick. Although I don't think the caliburn struggles with 50/50. I made some 70vg for people that have a Caliburn - I don't remember which model - and it worked okay.

Yeah i doubt it’s the liquid but just wondering because i don’t know what i’m doing wrong. I will be taking it back to the shop tomorrow and let them take a look at it.

NHale

May 14, 2022
    Yeah i doubt it’s the liquid but just wondering because i don’t know what i’m doing wrong. I will be taking it back to the shop tomorrow and let them take a look at it.
    Hope it worked out for you. The Caliburn products are supposed to be pretty solid, so I'd give it a go before returning. I'm not sure there's a better product out there in that form factor.

fatPanda

Dec 29, 2021
    Hi mox5518 and welcome,

I hope you could fix your dry hit problem, I have four Caliburn G and had this problem in the beginning, too.

In my vapeshop they told me then that I should prime the coils by dripping one drop in each of the holes of the coil before putting it into the pod. After that I fill it up (not to the top, there is a small line which indicates the max fill level) then I wait like 2 or three minutes and i can vape.

This now works perfectly for me.

One more hint:
    Fill up the pod when it is half empty (or half full ;) depends on your viewpoint), this will extend your coil life by avoiding dry hits caused by empty pods. The liquid level indicator on the side is the biggest designflaw in my opinion. I also noticed that the 1.0 Ohm coils are the best ones, the 1.2 Ohm had a significant lower life span and more dry hits. Thats why I avoid them.

I hope this helped you

• Useful
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread