The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

California Prop 56 - Hidden Vape Tax

Discussion in 'Legislation News' started by Haktuspit, Jul 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. DC2

DC2 Tootie Puffer Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    The line never gets drawn because people aren't focusing on the core problems.

Rather than drawing a line using logic...
    The line keeps getting moved further and further away from logic...

It's all lies and an appeal to "feelings" these days.

• Like Like x 3
  2. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. DC2

DC2 Tootie Puffer Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing
    --Not sure

4. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. Alexander Mundy

Alexander Mundy Ribbon Twister Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 1, 2013
    Springfield, MO
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bill Godshall

Bill Godshall Executive Director
    Smokefree Pennsylvania
    ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2009
    The lowest wholesale price I've seen for a 60ml bottle of e-liquid is $7, and prices continue to decline.

Vapor companies in CA that sell online will be decimated by the 68% tax (as CA vapers who buy online will begin buying from online retailers located in other states to avoid paying the CA tax).

CA vape shops will face declining sales (as some/many of their customers will begin buying online from out-of-state companies, and some will buy concentrated nicotine e-liquid to mix themselves).

The 68% tax will also reduces sales of cigalike e-cigs.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Hollywood puffer

Hollywood puffer Unregistered Supplier

Jul 11, 2013
    Los Angeles
    If you read Prop 56 before the election you didn't have to be Nostradamus to predict what was going to happen. So on November 9th we said "F.U.C.A." , shut down all business operations in California, and moved everything including ourselves to beautiful TAX-FREE NEVADA. If you're in the vape business you've got to be an imbecile to stay in that state.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Lessifer

Lessifer Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Hopefully you at least attempted to mount some resistance before the vote. I'm not saying you didn't, I didn't see any organized resistance up in my neck of the woods.

• Like Like x 1
  9. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Moving your business Out of CA and relocating to another State is Great. Until there are No States left to move to.

Would have liked to seen More Retailers raising awareness about CA Prop 56. But is Was what it Was.

And Now it Is what it Is.

• Like Like x 4
  10. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  11. sofarsogood

sofarsogood Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2014
    A possible caveat is the cost of making e liquid can be very low. So low that may be they could eat the tax and stay competitive with out of state sellers. I pay the usual consumer prices for my DIY. My cost of ingredients is 1.1 cents per ml. That cost reflects that I use only 1% flavoring but perhaps the larger volume e liquid businesses pay less for their ingredients than me. I do agree that a lot of the more successful e liquid makers will move out of state but isn't it also true that the tax will only be applied to in-state sales of if they have a large national market may be they aren't so effected after all.

12. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    1.1 Cents per ml is Pretty Cheap for a Flavored e-Liquid.

Seeing that I pay about 12 Bucks for a Litter of VG. And that comes out to 1.2 Cents per ml just for the VG.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ENAUD

ENAUD falling, falling, down the rabbit hole... Verified Member ECF Veteran

buy it by the Glycube from essential Depot and it can be as little as 12$ a gallon...

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.