California State Health Officer Ron Chapman protects cigarettes, issues report that lies about e-cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Breaking News (this report just came out this afternoon)

California State Health Officer Ron Chapman protects cigarettes and commits public health malpractice by issuing report demonizing e-cigs “A Community Health Threat” that repeats dozens of false and misleading claims to confuse and scare people, discourage smokers from switching to vaping, encourage vapers to go back to cigarettes, and to lobby for FDA’s deeming reg/ban and other cigarette protecting reg/bans on e-cigs.
http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/tobacco/Documents/Media/State Health-e-cig report.pdf

Comments by Bill Godshall, Executive Director of Smokefree Pennsylvania (in response to the CA DPH report on e-cigs)
"The CA Dept of Public Health is now protecting cigarettes and threatening the lives of vapers and smokers.”
“Nearly every sentence in the CA DPH e-cig report is false or misleading fear mongering propaganda.”
“By issuing this report, Ron Chapman has committee public health malpractice of the worst kind.”

Edit: The CA DPH issued the following today:

CA DPH Press Kit
http://cdph.ca.gov/pages/presskits.aspx

CA DPH Press Release
http://cdph.ca.gov/Pages/NR15-12.aspx

Health Advisory
http://cdph.ca.gov/Documents/EcigHealthAdvisory01282015.pdf

State Health Officer’s Report on E-cigarettes
http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/tobacco/Documents/Media/State Health-e-cig report.pdf

Percent of Tobacco Stores Selling E-cigarettes in California
http://cdph.ca.gov/Documents/Ecig_retail_lowres.pdf

Chemicals Found in E-cigarettes
http://cdph.ca.gov/Documents/CTCP_Social_WaterVapor_Citations_noTFCA.pdf

E-cigarette Poisonings (i.e. telephone calls to Poison Control Centers)
http://cdph.ca.gov/Documents/Ecig_PoisonControlCenter.pdf

Bill Godshall
Executive Director
Smokefree Pennsylvania
1926 Monongahela Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15218
412-351-5880
BillGodshall@verizon.net

Last edited:

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The AVA just issued the following press release (it should be posted on the AVA website shortly)

Contacts: Gregory Conley (AVA) / Bill Godshall (Smokefree Pennsylvania)
Tel: 609-947-8059 / 412-351-5880
Email: gconley@vaping.info / billgodshall@verizon.net

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
1/28/2015 at 12:15 pm PST

California Dept. of Public Health's War on Vaping Continues

Alarmist, government-funded report relies on cherry-picked evidence and lobbies for more state regulations
SACRAMENTO, C.A. - Today, the American Vaping Association, a leading advocate for the benefits of vapor products such as electronic cigarettes, was joined by longtime anti-smoking activist Bill Godshall in reacting to the release of a new report on e-cigarettes by the California Department of Public Health. The report argues for tobacco-style regulations on vapor products and paints them as a new public health threat. The report also contends that there is "no scientific evidence" that vaping helps smokers quit.

Gregory Conley, President of the American Vaping Association, issued the following statement:

"This report inappropriately paints this complex and important public health topic as a black and white issue. Despite the health officer's false claims, there is ample evidence that vaping helps smokers quit and is far less hazardous than smoking.

"Smokers deserve truthful and accurate information about the relative risks of different nicotine products, not overheated rhetoric based on cherry-picked reports. California voters should ask their elected officials why the state is funding reports that are primarily being written to be used in lobbying."

Bill Godshall, longtime anti-smoking activist and the Executive Director of Smokefree Pennsylvania, issued the following statement:

"The California Department of Public Health is now protecting cigarettes and threatening the lives of vapers and smokers.

"Nearly every sentence in the California Department of Health's e-cig report is false or misleading fear mongering propaganda.

"By issuing this report, Ron Chapman has committed public health malpractice of the worst kind."

For more information on e-cigarettes and their efficacy for helping smokers kick the habit, please see these studies. (1, 2, 3, 4).

####

You can learn more about AVA and vaping by visiting the AVA website. You can also find us on Facebook and Twitter.

About the American Vaping Association:
The American Vaping Association is a nonprofit organization that advocates for small- and medium-sized businesses in the rapidly growing vaping and electronic cigarette industry. We are dedicated to educating the public and government officials about financial and public health benefits offered by vapor products, which are battery-powered devices that heat a liquid nicotine or nicotine-free solution and create an inhalable vapor.

About Smokefree Pennsylvania:
Since 1990, Smokefree Pennsylvania has advocated local, state and federal policies to ban smoking in workplaces, stop cigarette marketing to youth, increase cigarette tax rates, hold cigarette companies accountable in civil court, and help smokers quit. During the past decade, Smokefree Pennsylvania has been educating the public that cigarettes are 100 times more hazardous than all smokefree tobacco/nicotine alternatives, including smokeless tobacco, nicotine gums, lozenges, patches, inhalers, and e-cigarettes.

caferacer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2015
Los Angeles
I came in here to post the very same thing. One of the boneheaded quotes from the news article I read:

"California health officials on Wednesday declared electronic cigarettes a health threat that should be strictly regulated like tobacco products, joining other states and health advocates across the U.S. in pushing back against the fast-growing device. The California Department of Public Health report says e-cigarettes emit cancer-causing chemicals..." :facepalm:

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
I have a distinct feeling this battle in CA will determine the fate of the war. If the desk murderers win, vaping will lose, and millions of vapers will be forced back into the smoking train of death, while 43 million current American smokers and 1.24Billion worldwide will never get a chance to quit with this revolutionary technology.

Now is the moment vapers, smokers, and non-nicotine users unite and indict the murderous liars in CA starting with the infamous terrorist Glantz. How can anyone stand by idly and witness this genocide?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came_...

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
E-cigarette advocates criticized the California report, saying it repeated false claims that would confuse people and discourage smokers from switching to e-cigarettes, which are widely accepted as less harmful than traditional cigarettes.

“They’re grossly misrepresenting the safety profile of e-cigarettes. It’s really disappointing,” said Julie Woessner, executive director of Consumer Advocates for Smokefree Alternatives. “It’s going to have the impact of discouraging people from making the switch from smoking, and it’s going to cost lives.”

California Declares Electronic Cigarettes a Health Threat - WSJ

Apologies . . . WSJ is behind a paywall. :(

TyPie

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2013
New Joisey (aka NJ)

Very interesting situation there with his resignation.........good little read. Either incompetent, overwhelmed, or maybe has some interest / conflict with the nursing home situation. Nevertheless, sounds like a career bureaucrat of late from within the insurance industry.

SHOCK COLLAR

Jan 11, 2015
N.Cal
what % of teen would smoke if there was no vape? what were the percentages of smoking youthes before vaping? Im going to guess smoking was higher because well...there was no vaping, so teen smoking should be down yet teen vaping is up logic would suggest there IS a correlation. I like the tax the F out of it to deter people from vaping thats brilliant because if vaping is as addictive as they BS'ingly clame that would guarantee a steady tax revenue wich WILL be imposed. Other politicians see this as a cash grab with little resistance and federal backing propposing this bill gives them future credentials and creating taxes against the baad tobacco. WIN WIN while we lose more FREEDOM.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I have a distinct feeling this battle in CA will determine the fate of the war. If the desk murderers win, vaping will lose, and millions of vapers will be forced back into the smoking train of death, while 43 million current American smokers and 1.24Billion worldwide will never get a chance to quit with this revolutionary technology.

Now is the moment vapers, smokers, and non-nicotine users unite and indict the murderous liars in CA starting with the infamous terrorist Glantz. How can anyone stand by idly and witness this genocide?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came_...

You watched "Sons of Liberty" on History Channel :)

You're right. What happens in California tends to affect other states. Like this:

Q: Has measles been eliminated from the United States?

A: Yes. In 2000, the United States declared that measles was eliminated from this country. This means that the disease is no longer native to the United States.

The United States was able to eliminate measles because it has a highly effective vaccination program and a strong public health system for detecting and responding to measles cases and outbreaks.

Measles | Frequently Asked Questions about Measles in U.S. | CDC

Well.... that's until Ron Chapman became director of the California Department of Public Health...

Measles outbreak continues to spread

California Department of Public Health confirms 59 cases since it was reported at Disneyland

Read more: Measles outbreak continues to spread - News - Taft Midway Driller - Taft, CA - Taft, CA

Now there are cases in Oregon, Washington, Nevada and Arizona...

uab9253

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2014
Salisbury MD
I don't see how they can ban the hardware, or nicotine free juices - in fact, I make my own with products that have been available for years and can't really be banned. they can ban nicotine liquid if they want to try, but I swear that is the moment when I will deliberately break the law. Not going back to cigarettes so that they can get their tax base back. I'm hoping that eventually, sanity will resurface and win the day.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
This is really giving me second thoughts about moving to California in October (Company sponsored visa)

Just think... earthquakes, mud slides, wildfires, and GlANTZ... I'm having a hard time figuring out why ANYONE would want to live there (even WITHOUT GlANTZ in the equation!).

One of my BASELINE requirements for a sense of personal security is THE GROUND SHOULD HOLD STILL!

Andria

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
This is really giving me second thoughts about moving to California in October (Company sponsored visa)

I lived in California for more than 50 years, my kids were all born there. I moved out along with my daughter and son in law 4 years ago. The State income taxes were killing them financially (someone has to pay for all those social programs, etc.)

Good luck to you but don't burn your bridges, you may need to move back.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Just think... earthquakes, mud slides, wildfires, and GlANTZ... I'm having a hard time figuring out why ANYONE would want to live there (even WITHOUT GlANTZ in the equation!).

One of my BASELINE requirements for a sense of personal security is THE GROUND SHOULD HOLD STILL!

Andria
NorCal had a 5.7 shaker yesterday. Greece had a 5.3. They're straight across from each other as the crow flies. Interesting.
The prices in Calif are horrendous & getting worse. They finally lowered gas prices, but the politicians now want to add a 3rd tax, called a carb fee. Plus they want to charge by the mile. You're right Andrea, Nobody in their right mind would move here. But, if you do, try to land in a county who is fighting to become the state of Jefferson & make sure your Sheriff is a Constitutional sheriff.
The Leaders who are supposed to keep our constitution safe are instead destroying it little by little. Every single one of them should be fired. (The $ hoes)
They constantly try to disarm the citizens of their right to defend themselves, their property, their liberty. Defending oneself from smoking by using a product that so far has zero issues, to disarming ladies who wish to protect themselves from psycho stalkers, to businesses who wish to protect their right to run their business as needed. They constantly make new rules, new laws, to fine the hello out of people until they are no longer sustainable human beings. The list of reasons to not move here goes on forever. They are pushing the speed rail, stack n pack communities, forbidding rural development on your own property (including repairs), and just like the TC people, they are the kings of using the Delphi Technique for everything they want.
On the other hand, it's stoppable, if enough people decide to make a difference instead of bashing those who try.
Oh man, I rambled again. That's why I hardly ever check in anymore. My heart overflows with concern.

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
Anyone see the quote where he's effectively saying "keep smoking rather than switch to e-cigs"?

“I’m advising Californians, including those who currently use tobacco, to avoid using e-cigarettes,” state health officer Dr. Ron Chapman said during a conference call following the document’s release. “E-cigarettes … re-normalize smoking behavior and introduce a new generation to nicotine addiction.”

Surely *smoking* re-normalizes smoking behavior more than e-cigs... :facepalm:

Link broken but here it is http://fox5sandiego.com/2015/01/28/california-announces-campaign-to-combat-e-cigarette-use/

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
After single-handedly bringing back measles to the USA through abuse and incompetence, Ron "Goebbles" Chapman emitted the most atrocious lie about the cure for smoking uttered so far. Not even Satan glANTZ himself has dared (yet) to openly encourage smokers to keep smoking and vapers to go back to smoking. This is no longer incompetence. It is overt attempted genocide and it's all for money
Lying It Up At The Hotel California | Fergus OnlineFergus Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread