Status
Not open for further replies.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Ok... Californians... with knowledge, weigh in here if you can:

In the KY thread regarding a potential ban, http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...tial-kentucky-ban-help-e-mail.html#post560774 Sherid brought up an excellent group who might be more willing to hear the information that is presented by eSmokers/Vapers than the person who is wanting to get the ban on ecigs rolling, Ellen Hahn.

We certainly can't change Hahn's position, (and the info provided by Sheri about Hahn will make you see why) however, with the group The Bluegrass Institute: Reclaiming Liberty! :: Bluegrass Institute for Public Policy Solutions They are for consumer choice and have political power in KY.

So... What about California? Any groups that anyone knows of that actually does have political policy influence... or at least the ability to listen openly to your comments and then help direct those comments in a respectful way to the media and the legislators? I have found: Policy Areas but I know nothing about them.

The Bluegrass Institute is an excellent example of organizations where letters should be sent. They are willing to listen to you. Watch the video on the website for BI... this is the type of ears we need.

For anyone whose state has yet to be affected, start doing searches for organizations like the Bluegrass Institute and start directing your letters there.

Maybe a sticky in the campaigning section will be necessary once we get a few states together that have groups that are willing to work with us. IMHO - This is something that consumers can certainly do and it would be minimal to medium work to contact a group in your state who you think would be willing to listen. We have to remember that each and every state that falls into the trap set out by the FDA, affects us all. Smoking bans are a clear example of this and history will repeat itself.

Edit: And Sheri can weigh in on this one: http://www.buckeyeinstitute.org/article/918 For Ohio.

Last edited:

PlanetScribbles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
Londinium, Brittania
So much for innocent bill to protect the children. Guess they just weren't happy enough with just the toe in the door. Politicians and politics sure make for a fun game.

The Magic 8 Ball has been proven right again. Smokers told you they are gonna come for you next. BUT they all laughed as the taxes just kept going up on cigs. It doesn't effect me you all said. I don't smoke.

Well if it worked for cigs. It was only a matter of time. Social Engineering thru ads and taxes. Heres your ads. Taxes next. Welcome to my world.

"New York State has shelved the idea of a tax on sugary sodas and juice drinks. But New York City’s public health officials opened a new front in their struggle against high-calorie beverages on Monday, unveiling an ad campaign that depicts globs of human fat gushing from a soda bottle."

ENJOY

There is a new world order coming ... unless we stop it. A world where the state tells us in no uncertain terms, across the board, what is permissable and what is not :nah:
We need to act before it is too late. If I want to drink an effin' sugary soda then i'll drink one. Whether the state likes it or not.

conniedee

Jul 18, 2009
California
Y and Lacey: Could you take a look at the latest revisions to CA SB400 and make sure I'm not misinterpreting the effect I believe it will have on adult vapors?

I had this lovely post quoting and explaining what I am about to summarize below, but every time I tried to fine tune it I'd lose it. You're now getting my post with all typos included.

SB400 as originally written, dealt with prohibiting sales of tobacco products to minors with changes to the Ca. Business and Professions Code. At first, the bill (section 1) classified electronic cigarettes as a tobacco product for purposes of prohibition of sales to minors.

Now that section relating to Ecigs has been struck out and replaced with Section 4 and 5 which classify the ecig as a drug and seems to me to impact adult vapors.

If this post's formatting is fouled up, I'm sorry, but I'm not taking the chance of losing it again.

SEC. 4. Section 111247 is added to the Health and Safety Code,
to read:
111247. Any article that can provide inhaled doses of nicotine
by delivering a vaporized solution, including, but not limited to,

an electronic cigarette, shall be deemed to be a drug as de
fined
in Section 109925. This section shall not be construed as bearing
on or being relevant to the question of whether any other product
is a drug as defined in Section 109925 or a device as defined in
Section 109920.
SEC. 5.

No reimbursement is required by this act pursuant to
Section 6 of Article XIIIB of the California Constitution because
the only costs that may be incurred by a local agency or school
district will be incurred because this act creates a new crime or
infraction, eliminates a crime or infraction, or changes the penalty
for a crime or infraction, within the meaning of Section 17556 of
the Government Code, or changes the definition of a crime within
the meaning of Section 6 of Article XIII B of the California
Constitution.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Did you know that the California Tobacco Education and Research Oversight Committee favors having Californians develop lung disease, heart disease, and cancer? Hard to believe, but this is a direct quote form page 23 of their Master Plan, "Endangered Investment."

"TEROC’s vision of a tobacco-free California does not support the harm reduction strategy and believes that promoting these products as an alternative to maintain an addiction will not reduce risk."

TEROC's belief is mistaken. The greatest risk to health is continued tobacco smoking.

There is plenty of evidence that these products DO reduce risk. Take my own case as an example: I smoked for 45 years. After I switched to an electronic cigarette in March, I no longer had any desire to smoke tobacco. My lungs are healthier: I no longer wheeze and cough up junk. My heart disease risk has been significantly reduced by virtue of the fact that my blood pressure is down to normal. Mine is not a unique experience. Read comments from thousands of folks at http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/keep-life-saving-electronic-cigarettes-available The recurring theme you will see in these comments is that we are people who
  • Smoked for many years
  • Tried just about everything imaginable to stop smoking
  • Succeeded in greatly reducing or eliminating tobacco smoking with these products
  • Have experienced measurable health improvements
Yes, the FDA announced that they found traces of tobacco-specific harmful substances in electronic cigarette cartridges. However, FDA neglected to mention that all of these same substances are found in tobacco, in much greater quantities. Apparently the FDA does not believe in harm reduction, either; and they are willing to indulge in "creative truth-telling" to prop up their belief.

Please keep these life-saving products available. Delete section Section 111247 from SB 400. My life is at stake.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Y and Lacey: Could you take a look at the latest revisions to CA SB400 and make sure I'm not misinterpreting the effect I believe it will have on adult vapors?

I had this lovely post quoting and explaining what I am about to summarize below, but every time I tried to fine tune it I'd lose it. You're now getting my post with all typos included.

SB400 as originally written, dealt with prohibiting sales of tobacco products to minors with changes to the Ca. Business and Professions Code. At first, the bill (section 1) classified electronic cigarettes as a tobacco product for purposes of prohibition of sales to minors.

Now that section relating to Ecigs has been struck out and replaced with Section 4 and 5 which classify the ecig as a drug and seems to me to impact adult vapors.

If this post's formatting is fouled up, I'm sorry, but I'm not taking the chance of losing it again.

SEC. 4. Section 111247 is added to the Health and Safety Code,
to read:
111247. Any article that can provide inhaled doses of nicotine
by delivering a vaporized solution, including, but not limited to,

an electronic cigarette, shall be deemed to be a drug as de
fined
in Section 109925. This section shall not be construed as bearing
on or being relevant to the question of whether any other product
is a drug as defined in Section 109925 or a device as defined in
Section 109920.
SEC. 5.

No reimbursement is required by this act pursuant to
Section 6 of Article XIIIB of the California Constitution because
the only costs that may be incurred by a local agency or school
district will be incurred because this act creates a new crime or
infraction, eliminates a crime or infraction, or changes the penalty
for a crime or infraction, within the meaning of Section 17556 of
the Government Code, or changes the definition of a crime within
the meaning of Section 6 of Article XIII B of the California
Constitution.

Connie - So are you asking if you are clear on what Sections 4 and 5 states?

To me, it is clear that not only are they removing the availability of the electronic cigarette to consumers of legal age, but they are also removing the ability to purchase any product that could potentially vaporize nicotine. This could very well include all types of vaporizers that currently only need tobacco. IMHO, this is a very open ended statement they have made and by using the words "potentially", they are also trying to get water pipes off of the market as well.

In your words: "SB400 as originally written, dealt with prohibiting sales of tobacco products to minors with changes to the Ca. Business and Professions Code. At first, the bill (section 1) classified electronic cigarettes as a tobacco product for purposes of prohibition of sales to minors. This is something that any adult smoker and user of the electronic cigarette could definitely support.

Now that section relating to Ecigs has been struck out and replaced with Section 4 and 5 which classify the ecig as a drug and seems to me to impact adult vapors. Nicotine is not an illegal drug. It is fact that combustion is the biggest danger in smoking and the ability to vaporize nicotine eliminates the combustion while allowing adults to consume a completely legal product which has similar effects as caffeine.

My additions in red. Is this what you are looking for?

Tom09

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
Germany
California Legislature has passed the bill to classify e-cigs as a drug for purpose of prohibiting the sale in California. For details read this ECF thread on the recent history of SB 400 (Amended Sept.2).

Sept. 11, 2009
The prohibition bill SB 400 (Amended Sept. 2) has been passed by Legislature.

After the formal act of enrollment, the bill will be sent to the Governor’s desk.

Oct. 11, 2009
Last day for Governor to sign or veto bills passed by the Legislature on or before Sept. 11

Jan. 1, 2010
Statutes take effect. E-cigs classified a drug and sales prohibition in California - if the Governor does not veto.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
And why are we supporting restricting sales to minors? What is criminal about a child consuming an e-cig? I understand that a fossil cig may result in irreversible damage to kid's lungs. But what are we afraid that e-cigs will do to kids?

Are you serious?

I don't even know how to respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread