California vote on e-cigs coming--Gov. vetos--defers to SE v. FDA case

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvapor

Moved On
Aug 11, 2009
Alaska
And why are we supporting restricting sales to minors? What is criminal about a child consuming an e-cig? I understand that a fossil cig may result in irreversible damage to kid's lungs. But what are we afraid that e-cigs will do to kids?

Why on earth would you think that supporting an addiction to a minor is OK. Sorry, If I sound rude but I have 4 children ranging from teenagers to toddlers and would much rather see them go through life without the corruption of addiction. I even teach my kids that e-cigs are bad. There is nothing OK about an addiction. It may be better for you than cancer sticks but its still not without its faults. Ecigs are still a product that has to be used with caution. Also lets face it. Kids can do some dumb things and tend to not be mature enough to be trusted with a bottle of poison. Kids often don't think about how dangerous things can be. They act mostly out of curiosity and are never afraid to experiment. Only, if they decide they want to see what happens if they just drink some it can be a fatal and final experiment. Kids also have horrible hygiene. They will get liquid on their hand and not even give it a second thought. They will just pick up something and start eating. Not to mention absorption through the skin. Getting a kid to wash their hands is an impossible feat. In a nutshell kids are not responsible enough to saftly use the products and it is every adults resposibilty to educate and protect kids. Not even just our own, but all kids. WOW! Are you for real?

Last edited:

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
And why are we supporting restricting sales to minors? What is criminal about a child consuming an e-cig? I understand that a fossil cig may result in irreversible damage to kid's lungs. But what are we afraid that e-cigs will do to kids?

Are you serious?

I don't even know how to respond.

Is that the best you can do?

As far as i'm concerned, this is like arguing over whether or not the earth has gravity. I choose not to argue over the obvious.

aditas

Moved On
Jul 5, 2009
Why on earth would you think that supporting an addiction to a minor is OK. Sorry, If I sound rude but I have 4 children ranging from teenagers to toddlers and would much rather see them go through life without the corruption of addiction.
What is wrong with addiction?
Do you think that kids should be prohibited from purchasing Mountain Dew? I know plenty of kids that will not drink anything but a soda.

jvapor

Moved On
Aug 11, 2009
Alaska
What is wrong with addiction?
Do you think that kids should be prohibited from purchasing Mountain Dew? I know plenty of kids that will not drink anything but a soda.

Its not just about addiction it is also about safety. The E-liquid is dangerous in the wrong hands. Addiction is a problem in any form and it is up to us to try to teach our children to make smart choices. Children will still do what they are of a mind to do. However, we still need to encourage them not to abuse substances no matter what it may be. Even soda. Anything in excess can be harmful and if you think it is OK to let kids just drink pop, get fat, have diabetes, rotten and missing teeth, ulcers, gastrointestinal problems and death due to these problems. If you think that is
OK then you are just as bad a CEO for big tobacco. Lives are precious and there is no excuse for sitting back and allowing children to harm themselves. Addiction is a problem for anyone at any age. I am less of a person for my addiction to nicotine because of being raised with the same stand aside attitude you exercise now. These children are our future and it is our job to make it better for them than it is for us. Addictions make people go to extremes to get their fix. If it were not for a nicotine addiction we would not even be engaging in this conversation because their would be no need for e-cigs. They may be a better alternative but they are not 100% safe. Just to be sure to answer your question clearly I do not think mountain dew needs banned but all things in moderation. If kids are addicted to pop so bad that that is all they drink then yes intervention is required or a ban if you will. Although, comparing nicotine and Mt. Dew is like comparing Apples and Airplanes but both can be used in excess only one is more dangerous than the other. Eating to many apples can lead to a drunken state, ulcers, and gastrointestinal problems. Flying an airplane to much especially when you are not mature enough to handle it responsibly can lead to vertigo, impaired senses, running out of fuel and a crash which results in instant death.

Last edited:

aditas

Moved On
Jul 5, 2009
You seem to imply that vaping has to involve nicotine. You do realize that non-nicotine bubblegum flavor e-cig is an option. I take the extreme stand that I would rather see my overweight and diabetic 12 year old suck on the vapor than down the Mt. Dew. Thus I will rephrase my questions.
Do you think that the sale of non-nicotine candy flavored e-cigs should be banned?
Do you think that the sale of Mountain Dew should be banned?
Do you think that the state should "dictate" what your children may consume?

aditas

Moved On
Jul 5, 2009
Uh, this thread WAS about "CA vote on e-cigs coming."

I am sorry, I did not realize that CA did not have overweight 12 year olds. Let me see if I can rephrase these questions so that they would apply to your country and perhaps influence your vote on the upcoming ban.
Do you think that the sale of non-nicotine candy flavored e-cigs should be banned in the state of California?
Do you think that the sale of Mountain Dew should be banned in the state of California?
Do you think that the state of California should "dictate" what your children may consume?

Robert

Moved On
Jun 18, 2009
San Diego, CA.
Happy B-Day Jim-

Hell yeah California is a State- In fact it's a big State with alot of electorial college votes. We often decide the election. We are the cool side of the country. We have a nutty Republican Governor a lot like Regan was. We all all nuts though- How do we vote Democrat natiuonally and have a Republican governor. Our State make MJ legal then arrest people selling it legally. I love Southern California and I don't believe in all the BS that is said about us, I find it funny when other put us down. I guess you haven't heard of us cause you live on an Island somewhere?

Kempton

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
Canada
Can't be that cool, with this bill........;)

Happy B-Day Jim-

Hell yeah California is a State- In fact it's a big State with alot of electorial college votes. We often decide the election. We are the cool side of the country. We have a nutty Republican Governor a lot like Regan was. We all all nuts though- How do we vote Democrat natiuonally and have a Republican governor. Our State make MJ legal then arrest people selling it legally. I love Southern California and I don't believe in all the BS that is said about us, I find it funny when other put us down. I guess you haven't heard of us cause you live on an Island somewhere?

LABeachBum

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
Well, California is super liberal with a lot of rich parents. That equates to money filled kids that do have 110 dollars to spend on a starter kit and parents who would rather let the state raise their kids cause they don't want to take responsibility.

I guess that is a nation-wide trend... people seem to feel more comfortable with the whole state-run-lives. But wowzers... the dif between analog cig harm vs electronic cig harm is incredible... Maybe it is propaganda? Big biz/loss revenue? I'm at a loss for suggestions!!!

Pugzley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2009
USA
If AS signs this we are screwed and why wouldn't he?

Oh, well, so much for my week and a half off cigarettes for the first time in 3 decades.

I will find a way, I will not go back to sucking on a tobacco cigarette. My heart rate has gone down from 107 to 85 after climbing a flight of stairs to get to the treadmill at LA Fitness just this past 10 days. I just want to cry, but I'm a big girl and I won't, I'll just get creative instead.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I love California but I'm getting a little tired of all the rules. First, we can't decide what kind of pets we want (ferrets are illegal here) and now we have to be told what to inhale or not inhale. Big brother is really watching over us here.

Ferrets are illegal in california??? Yikes! Now THAT's a nanny state!

Sheesh.

Pugzley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2009
USA
Ferretlover, I think I'm going to go out and find some ferrets to go with my Persian cats, wonder when they're going to make my cats illegal? Oh, they already have, you can only have a certain number of them, over that, you're "breaking the law".

Not that I think getting a bunch of animals a person can't afford or will not take care of is a good idea, but wtf!?

If I get one more cat, I'll need a kennel license for them, and I do rescue for the purpose of adoptions of these poor things. They can make me into a law breaker for this...

What country do I live in again? Oh, I remember, China, that's right...

UBRocked

Aug 4, 2009
Delaware, Ohio
I live in Ohio but I don't want to see a law like this pass in any state (even if it never spreads to my state). I believe in e-cigs and have seen what they can do for people to kick the tobacco habit (via Youtube comments and messages). The Vapor Talk forum is drumming up support for this issue and we need the ECF (which is a much larger forum site) to get it's members involved. I choose to go the "media" route and email fox news to expose this situation and change the debate. Here is a copy of my email to them. Please flood them with similar emails to get their attention! I sent this with links but I have less than 15 posts so I cannot post here...

_____

TO: Hannity@foxnews.com; glennbeck@foxnews.com; Oreilly@foxnews.com

RE: Electronic Cigarette Users Need Your Help! California is at it again!

Hello Sean, Glenn, and Bill!

I am emailing the three of you because I believe you might be the last people in the media that actually listen to what the American public has to say. California has voted on a bill (not yet signed into law) to ban the use of the electronic cigarette. Gov. Schwarzenegger still has time to veto this bill and we need that veto.

I am a "non-smoker" now thanks to the electronic cigarette. I would NEVER go back to traditional (or what some people now call "analog") cigarettes because we have found a better, smarter, and cheaper alternative. The electronic cigarette (e-cigarette or e-cig) is a device that vaporizes a nicotine solution and inhaled into the lungs. This inhalation feels very similar to smoking and there is a water vapor that is exhaled that looks like cigarette smoke but is not harmful to anyone like second hand smoke is. There are three components to and electronic cigarette - a rechargeable lithium battery, atomizer, and liquid cartridge. A very simple yet effective design.

The FDA has recently started investigating the electronic cigarettes and all of the ingredients in this nicotine solution (called e-liquid or e-juice) are FDA approved by themselves but the FDA is "concerned" about the safety of these devices. We are concerned that the device that has allowed many of us "vapers" to quit smoking will be banned and we will be left looking for another alternative. Since the FDA is now overseeing tobacco, I bet they would to send us right back to cigarettes. By the way...is tobacco now FDA approved? Why would you ban a safer alternative (no advanced degree needed to see that nicotine, propylene glycol, water, and flavoring would be safer to put into our bodies than the thousands of chemicals that are contained in every tobacco cigarette)? The FDA has approved a similar "big pharmaceutical" Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) called the Nicotrol inhaler.

So why are we banning the electronic cigarette? The success stories I receive from former smokers are impressive and people email me everyday to share their stories, ask questions, etc. I believe in these products. I have produced "how to" videos on Youtube along with some others to help people that are new to e-cigarettes. This community of people is impressive as well. I have never seen such a diverse group of people that are so willing to answer questions from "noobies", offer advice on what brands to buy, etc.

We need your help to expose this situation. I do not live in California but their decision will affect all of us and it will be a matter of time before other states follow suit. Smokers never argued that traditional tobacco cigarettes were safe but we do argue that the e-cigarette is much safer and no one can prove otherwise...the FDA has been trying and their own testing proves it! They say they do not know what the long term affects will be. What are the long term affects of smoking?...Death! We would be safer sucking on a car's tailpipe than smoking tobacco cigarettes and many of us have found a way to quit that ACTUALLY works. I believe the success rate for things like the gum, patch, prescriptions are only around 10%. We don't have the means to effectively poll people but I guarantee the success rate for quitting using e-cigarettes is several times that of the FDA "approved" products (which many, contain nicotine). I think the FDA is financially or politically motivated to ban these (or maybe they are just mad that the billions in research they have spent on NRT's has not produced the same level of success as the e-cig).

Having said all of that, many of us do not want to "quit" the electronic cigarettes. Nicotine is much like caffeine and actually has some positive effects. Propylene glycol has also been shown to be safe, including the inhalation of it.

A popular forum called Vapor Talk is starting to mobilize its members to contact their government officials but I fear those request will fall on deaf ears like most of our concerns.

Thank you in advance for your help in this matter. We need to expose the hypocrisy of the FDA and veto this bill that California has signed before it is put into law.

Brian
Smoker for 14 years, now smoke free for 3 months!

Sorry if I'm "plugging" another forum here on ECF...I don't know if that is taboo here but we need to come together and defend our freedom of choice in this matter! I think a tread should be started for generic "cut and paste" letters to be sent to the media and key government officials to let them know how we feel!

vt100

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2009
Indiana, USA
Very good letter Brian! Only problem I see with it is that the FDA doesn't spend any money on drug research, the companies that want their product approved have to pay for the research. Maybe they're upset that when they finally get the power to control tobacco a lot of smokers are choosing to use a product that cannot be defined as tobacco. Having millions fewer citizens smoking cigarettes could have a detrimental affect on the FDA's future budgets. And, as you can probably guess by my avatar, I'm not a big fan of the recipient list...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread