California vote on e-cigs coming--Gov. vetos--defers to SE v. FDA case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timekey

Moved On
Jun 3, 2009
If this would have passed it would have opened the door to other states reacting in similar fashion............not to say they still won't though. What this does is give the industry more breathing room.

That being said I don't believe the next big decision will go our way and I believe the judge will rule in the FDA's behalf vs. Smoking Everywhere. Hopefully that will knock them out of business for good.

YoMike

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2009
Maui HI
Un stick this bad boy the bill has been veto
To the Members of the California State Senate:
I am returning Senate Bill 400 without my signature.
While I support restricting access of electronic cigarettes to children under the age of 18, I
cannot sign a measure that also declares them a federally regulated drug when the matter is
currently being decided through pending litigation.
Items defined as “tobacco products” are legal for anyone over the age of 18. If adults want to
purchase and consume these products with an understanding of the associated health risks, they
should be able to do so unless and until federal law changes the legal status of these tobacco
products.
For this reason, I am unable to sign this bill.
Sincerely,
Arnold Schwarzenegger

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
NO!!! Don't unstick it!!!

Sharky makes a really really good point here.

The veto can be overridden... 2/3 majority vote in the Assembly and the Senate. So... we need to make sure that the letters are now directed towards those on the fence who voted for the bill out of either sheer not knowing what it was really about OR being misled into thinking that the ecig is something other than what it is!!!

Props Sharky for pointing this fact out!

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Not gonna happen. If they would have simply left it alone and stuck with the 18 year old restriction Arnold might have passed it I bet.

As it's currently written we don't have much to worry about. The republicans in the state won't go for it unless it's re-written and then it would likely have to go through the process again.

Well... then we should certainly be ready for next year :)

lkim65

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2009
California

The veto can be overridden... 2/3 majority vote in the Assembly and the Senate. So... we need to make sure that the letters are now directed towards those on the fence who voted for the bill out of either sheer not knowing what it was really about OR being misled into thinking that the ecig is something other than what it is!!!

2/3 vote in California? You have a better chance of hitting the lottery...You can never say never but it is not likely that it will get over-ridden

tony206

Moved On
Sep 25, 2009

I agree with this 100%! We still need to keep fighting.

Chris From Cali

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
And on that note there hasn't been a veto override in 30 years. It's not that it can't happen, it's just unlikely.

I would start to focus our attention on SJR 8 also created by our oh so favorite senator Ellen Corbett. You find info on it here

This women is hell bent on banning the ecig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread