Not open for further replies.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
The title of this thread keeps tricking me into coming here to commune with fellow lovers of actual dogs.

Woof.jpg

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Well, mine turned up today.

On it's smallest airhole, it's nearly Nautilus tight. Nearly. I'd say it's similar to the Doggy with its airflow all but closed off - the Doggy might just go a smidgen tighter (trying that silly A-B thing) but that's just me. I think its bell/dome thingy is bigger than the Doggy's - it would make sense, because it's much easier to work on.

Installing one of the two supplied coils was easy (as a fan of stock coils and bvcs). I think they're maybe ~2.5mm ID. The one I'm using seems to be around 0.9 ohms.

Top fill? Oh. Really? I'm ok with bottom fill tanks, and I think that's just as well. The fill 'ring' is so tight that I've given up. I actually vaped with the ports wide open because I couldn't get it to budge. I closed it back off using a towel.

Anyway, the vape is nice, although I did install a longer 510 drip tip to cool it down a bit. I'm an 8 watt snowflake and found the supplied tip quite warm at anything more.

It is quite pretty. I like it and the airflow is decent. The [un-]top fill isn't a biggy & things might loosen up with time.

I hope you like yours. I like mine. Mostly.
Surprised about the top fill. Mine has about the right amount of resistance. But like you, it wasn't a big factor for me. I'm fine with doggy's bottom fill.

The dome - yeah, it definitely looks wider to me than the doggy, which made me surprised about the vape. I'd come to believe it had to be narrow to condense the vape enough for me. But you say "the vape is nice." Don't you find it more full than the doggy? How would you compare/contrast it? For me, it's so full, that I actually use the doggy from time to time, to get a "lighter" vape during the day, because the vape on this thing is pretty intense. Though it sounds like you haven't tried it with your usual build to compare exactly, since you used the supplied coils. I'd love to hear what you think - especially compared to your usual doggy build.

Rcon

Aug 11, 2016
Well, I have been using mine for a few days now and I have mixed feelings. I love the bubble tank and it looks great on my Pico's but especially nice on the Sinous P80 mod.

The deck is well designed and I've had no flooding or leaking issues so far. Very easy to wick too (similar to the Doggy) and there's more room to mess about with coil positions safely. I used a 2.0mm, but I think I might try a 2.5mm next time to try and reduce the airflow (see below).

The vape/flavour is nice. Very similar to the Doggy actually.

On the negative side, the top fill cap seems poorly designed IMO. The open/close slide is loose(ish) on mine and yesterday I actually dumped the contents of the tank on my lap. After flipping it over to remove the base to check how the wick was performing (and whilst gripping it with both hands) I inadvertently twisted the top cap slide slightly open in the process letting the juice pour out. Hopefully now I know I wont do that again, but it's easily done I reckon, especially if you initially twist the wrong way. Perhaps I'm the only one daft enough to do this, but I just wanted to make you aware of the potential if your top cap slide is loose like mine.

Compared to the SXK Doggy I found the air flow quite open, which is a surprise as everything suggests it should be tight. Perhaps I need to strip it down again and double check o-rings, but as it is I need to vape it with the AFC fully closed to get anything close to how I vape the Doggy (very small gap open) and even with the True AFC fully closed there's still more air flow than I would prefer.

For those that like a looser draw this could be a contender as it's a very nice looking tank and the flavour is there, but do watch out for that top fill slide! For those that like a tighter (more cigarette style) draw I think the airflow might be too loose even fully closed. That said, I'm going to try a bigger coil to see if that helps with airflow at all.

Rockford

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
BC Canada
I inadvertently twisted the top cap slide slightly open in the process letting the juice pour out.

So because you twisted the top cap open, then tipped it upside down.... juice poured out and your blaming the tank on this? hmmmmm I'd say it's a UE not a tank problem.

Rcon

Aug 11, 2016
To be fair I didn't twist the top cap open and then flip it over. As mentioned I flipped it over and whilst unscrewing the base the top cap also twisted open whilst I gripped the tank with both hands. For sure I have man hands and there is not a lot to grip on to, but I wanted to warn others of the possibility of this happening if their top cap slide is as loose as mine is (it sounds as though not all are loose though thankfully).

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Compared to the SXK Doggy I found the air flow quite open, which is a surprise as everything suggests it should be tight. Perhaps I need to strip it down again and double check o-rings, but as it is I need to vape it with the AFC fully closed to get anything close to how I vape the Doggy (very small gap open) and even with the True AFC fully closed there's still more air flow than I would prefer.

For those that like a looser draw this could be a contender as it's a very nice looking tank and the flavour is there, but do watch out for that top fill slide! For those that like a tighter (more cigarette style) draw I think the airflow might be too loose even fully closed. That said, I'm going to try a bigger coil to see if that helps with airflow at all.
Wow, this is odd. When my afc is closed, it's probably tighter than any tank I've ever had- you can't draw anything thru it. I'd say something isn't right, because it should be impossible to get a real draw with it closed.

Rcon

Aug 11, 2016
@Brewdawg1181 I'm halfway through a tankful of juice today with the AFC completely closed on it. I have a second tank here that I was either going to keep or give to a friend, but I just opened the box and I've noticed straight away that the top fill cap slide is a lot stiffer and harder to move than the first one. I'm starting to wonder if the seal is shot on that first tank making it loose (see my earlier post) and also letting air in. I haven't got time now, but I'll build this second tank later and see if there is any improvement in the AFC. Cheers.

Rcon

Aug 11, 2016
@Brewdawg1181 Work slacked off so I was able to build the second tank and found the draw is a little tighter than the first but I can still draw from it with the AFC fully closed. I used a bigger 2.5mm ID coil this time, as low as I dare on the deck.

Anyway, the good news is that the top fill slide is a lot stiffer on the second tank, so hopefully my only other negative (the loose top fill cap/slide on the first tank) was a one off and not the norm.

I really like this tank but alas the draw just wont be tight enough for me to make it a keeper, but that's just personal preference at the end of the day. I think others might enjoy it as it's a really nice flavour producer for sure. I love that bubble tank too.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
@Brewdawg1181 Work slacked off so I was able to build the second tank and found the draw is a little tighter than the first but I can still draw from it with the AFC fully closed. I used a bigger 2.5mm ID coil this time, as low as I dare on the deck.

Anyway, the good news is that the top fill slide is a lot stiffer on the second tank, so hopefully my only other negative (the loose top fill cap/slide on the first tank) was a one off and not the norm.

I really like this tank but alas the draw just wont be tight enough for me to make it a keeper, but that's just personal preference at the end of the day. I think others might enjoy it as it's a really nice flavour producer for sure. I love that bubble tank too.
Well, I'm glad it's better - but something still must be wrong if you can actually vape with it shut. I like it fairly open myself, but I can't imagine needing a tighter draw than the smallest hole on mine. And with partially shutting off any of the holes, it's really infinitely adjustable. But then, my AF doesn't allow anything thru the ring. The differences on yours doesn't bode well for QC- I hope it doesn't get to be Ares level with iffy top fill & tolerances!

When I get ready to rebuild, I might have to fiddle with it a little to see if there's anything a user can do/tighten to get the cap tighter. And I haven't checked, but it'd probably be worth it to see if there's a replacement o-ring for the af control, and replace it. You wouldn't even have to dump the tank for that. Maybe the one in there is off-size, or damaged. You really shouldn't get that much air escaping thru there.

Rcon

Aug 11, 2016
I do like a super tight cigarette style draw. I've moaned quite a bit about the Doggys "lacklustre" AFC in the past but perhaps in hindsight I shouldn't really as it does allow me to dial in the airflow perfectly to my preference. Perhaps the tight draw I like is not as common as I once thought (even among us tootle puffers) and I am ultimately expecting too much from these new tanks.

One other positive thing to mention about the True tank that I just realised is that not once in the last few days have I had to worry about wicking, coil, vape quality or flavour - it just delivers a great tasting vape every time, just like the Doggy. I'm not sure I could give it higher praise than that actually.

I'm going to keep experimenting with it and the AFC.

Ken B

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2013
Penang
I do like a super tight cigarette style draw. I've moaned quite a bit about the Doggys "lacklustre" AFC in the past but perhaps in hindsight I shouldn't really as it does allow me to dial in the airflow perfectly to my preference. Perhaps the tight draw I like is not as common as I once thought (even among us tootle puffers) and I am ultimately expecting too much from these new tanks.

One other positive thing to mention about the True tank that I just realised is that not once in the last few days have I had to worry about wicking, coil, vape quality or flavour - it just delivers a great tasting vape every time, just like the Doggy. I'm not sure I could give it higher praise than that actually.

I'm going to keep experimenting with it and the AFC.

Having just received my first Doggies (SXK) I must be another tootle puffer who expected too much regarding airflow. I am having to close it down to an almost invisible "hole" to get anywhere near a cigarette type draw.
Quite disappointed really. Probably expecting too much after all the positive comments.
Was looking at the "True" hoping it would be a tighter draw than the Doggy.

Rcon

Aug 11, 2016
For sure Ken you have to close the Doggy AFC right up to within a hair to get the tight draw (and it does look closed at that point but it isn't if you look at it from an angle), but when you find that sweet spot it's perfect. I actually use the tip of a very small sewing pin to open the AFC, but even then I have top go in at about a 30 degree angle, otherwise it opens it up a smidge too far. Sounds a lot of hassle but I do it without even thinking about it now.

With the Doggy about 97% of the AFC it is just open, there is seemingly no variable to how open, but that first 3% is where the magic happens. As a fellow tootle puffer I would urge you to stick with it, have a play, and try to find your sweet spot within that 3%. Also, rub a little juice around the AFC o-ring before you put the ring back on - it helps it move more smoothly to find the spot and also provides a little extra seal.

If you can't settle on the Doggy then the only tank I think you might have some better luck with is the Beserker Mini (if you haven't tried it already), as that is the tightest I've come across to date.

Good luck!

Ken B

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2013
Penang
@Rcon many thanks for the advice. Yes the doggy certainly presents challenges for us TPs. I really didnt realise that my preference for a tight draw was so extreme. I always assumed that we were all looking for a cigarette type draw. Learned something anyway.
I recently thought I would graduate from my ageing Kayfun Lites to a new generation of RTA, so have been using a Siren 2 for a while, which strangely I find a much nicer vape than the doggy, but I cant handle the constant leaking from the airhole. Could be just a rogue, but nothing I did with it could stop a constant dribble. Gave up and put it into storage for the moment.
Seriously wondering why I doubted my Kayfuns, except for the fact that spares are getting difficult to source.
Anyway, thanks again for the input.
Need to take stock for a while, and watch others progress before jumping in again.

Regards

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California
@Rcon @Ken B

I’m the same way with my draw. Ares, berserker mini, berserker rda, galaxies rdta, all empty and in a drawer for the doggy.

The last tiny bit of the doggy makes it tight, AND smooth, which I haven’t been able to replicate on anything else yet. Although the galaxies comes close, that thing chugs juice like an animal.

I want to try the pro, but it seems like the same old story for airflow as Rcon pointed out. Trying to partially close any holes results in inconsistencies and a weird draw all the times I’ve tried it, so I’ll be holding off at this point.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
@Rcon @Ken B

I’m the same way with my draw. Ares, berserker mini, berserker rda, galaxies rdta, all empty and in a drawer for the doggy.

The last tiny bit of the doggy makes it tight, AND smooth, which I haven’t been able to replicate on anything else yet. Although the galaxies comes close, that thing chugs juice like an animal.

I want to try the pro, but it seems like the same old story for airflow as Rcon pointed out. Trying to partially close any holes results in inconsistencies and a weird draw all the times I’ve tried it, so I’ll be holding off at this point.
Yeah, I guess I'd hold off too, if I were you. But this is so weird. Even fully open, mine is significantly tighter than the SJMY or SXK doggy. And maybe I was just lucky, but my AF is so tight you can make any draw you want out of it- tighter than anything I've ever vaped. Hard to believe my atty is that different. You would think that the metal machining on the first batch wouldn't vary much, so it's got to be variances in the o-rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread