Status
Not open for further replies.

StillMaticc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2013
Brooklyn, New York
All opinions/suggestions welcome.

Ive moved on from my eGo setup to a Vamo. (loving this thing) Along with a Protank and some carto-tanks as well as one little clearomiser that I will use for as long as i possibly can.

However I have on its way a smok RSST, 32G A1 Kanthal Wire, 500 SS Mesh. Im a bit of a tinkerer so RBA's was inevitable for me.
I know im going to need a Mech Mod, but for now I plan to stay in the range that my Vamo can handle with regards to wrapping coils.

What I need to know, is why do some prefer different gauge wire. Should I be ordering some 28/29/30 Gauge wire as well? What are the benefits of using different gauges. (when i said tinkerer, i meant i like breaking things)

I've rebuilt my Pro-tank heads with no issues, as well as a Vision Eternity RDA. Seemed simple enough.
Just need some suggestions on what i should be getting in order to enjoy RBA's as much as possible.

Also suggestions on a first, reliable Mech Mod that will last.

StillMaticc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2013
Brooklyn, New York

JohnnyBGoode

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
Gelder,NL
32 gauge is nice to start with. Keep in mind, the higher the gauge, the tinner the wire, the higher the resistance per length.
So the same coil with a 32 gauge wire will give you a higher resistance than a 30 gauge wire.

The thicker the wire, the less easy it brakes or burns or whatever... 32 gauge can take plenty abuse.

For all things like vamo's, evics, provari's etc. a 32 gauge wire will give you a good all rounder which allows you to make coils for next to any setup.

For any new coil you make, burn it in slowly at a low volt/watt setting and hit the fire button a couple of times.
Don't roast it at 15 watts straight away and it will last you a good long time.

Last edited:

StillMaticc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2013
Brooklyn, New York
32 gauge is nice to start with. Keep in mind, the higher the gauge, the tinner the wire, the higher the resistance per length.
So the same coil with a 32 gauge wire will give you a lower resistance than a 30 gauge wire.

The thicker the wire, the less easy it brakes or burns or whatever... 32 gauge can take plenty abuse.

For all things like vamo's, evics, provari's etc. a 32 gauge wire will give you a good all rounder which allows you to make coils for next to any setup.

For any new coil you make, burn it in slowly at a low volt/watt setting and hit the fire button a couple of times.
Don't roast it at 15 watts straight away and it will last you a good long time.

I'll keep that in mind, though I have not gone past 7.5 watts, or 4.4v on my vamo.

DaddyNoun

Verified Member
Mar 27, 2013
Long Beach, CA
When I first got into rba's someone put it to me in a way to help me understand different gauge coils. I just recently revisited this concept in my head and it makes more sense now than it did back then. So here it goes, hope this helps.

Common gauges for rebuildibales are 32, 30, and 28. 32 being the thinnest out of the three, and 28 being the thickest. Think of a freeway and the lanes. If the freeway has more lanes, it will be wider (thicker like the 28 gauge). With a wider free way, more cars can travel through it quicker (which is equivalent to lower resistance and more power being able to travel through the coil).

With that being said, on a freeway that has fewer lanes (thinner like 32 gauge), it will be harder and more congested to get the same amount of cars through it. Resistance will be higher in a 32 gauge because like the freeway, it will be tougher to push the same amount of electricity through that coil.

This doesnt include other variables for number of wraps or anything like that when considering reistance. From my understanding, more wraps = lower resistance due to the fact that there is more coil for electricity to flow through (correct me if im wrong).

Hope this helps a little bit more than confused any of you guys.

StillMaticc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2013
Brooklyn, New York
When I first got into rba's someone put it to me in a way to help me understand different gauge coils. I just recently revisited this concept in my head and it makes more sense now than it did back then. So here it goes, hope this helps.

Common gauges for rebuildibales are 32, 30, and 28. 32 being the thinnest out of the three, and 28 being the thickest. Think of a freeway and the lanes. If the freeway has more lanes, it will be wider (thicker like the 28 gauge). With a wider free way, more cars can travel through it quicker (which is equivalent to lower resistance and more power being able to travel through the coil).

With that being said, on a freeway that has fewer lanes (thinner like 32 gauge), it will be harder and more congested to get the same amount of cars through it. Resistance will be higher in a 32 gauge because like the freeway, it will be tougher to push the same amount of electricity through that coil.

This doesnt include other variables for number of wraps or anything like that when considering reistance. From my understanding, more wraps = lower resistance due to the fact that there is more coil for electricity to flow through (correct me if im wrong).

Hope this helps a little bit more than confused any of you guys.

That about sums up my basic knowledge of gauges. What I wanted to know was how they relate in terms of VTF.

Vault

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Wellingborough,Northants,UK
I`m about where you are to be :) saying that I`ve had the Vamo for a couple of weeks and have been playing with tha AGA-T2 for about a week.
For me at the moment the best set-up I`ve found is #400 mesh rolled with a small (1.2mm) hole down the middle (a fine straw basically).
I use Kanthal 30 awg (0.25mm) with 4 wraps around the wick (which has a small outer diameter due to the small (2.8mm) wick hole in the AGA-T2)
This gives me 1.6ohm which vapes well at 3.7v on the Vamo.
The air hole in the AGA is very slightly opened using a pointed bit and not drilled out as I like a bit of resistance to my draw and I dont lung inhale, and of course the air hole is positioned next to the wick when the cap is on!

I`ve got a RSST coming only because the larger wick hole (3.4mm?) will let me use a thicker wick..= more wicking and means I can burn down to 1.3ohm on the vamo at a higher voltage without running the wick dry.

ruxpin810

Verified Member
May 23, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Depends...

3 wraps (~1.8ohm) if I want to us my Sigelei ZMax.

2 wraps (~1.1 to 1.3ohm) is I want to use my Sigelei 19.

i tried my first rebuild the other day and i did a 4/5 wrap at first. i stuck it on my vamo and got 2.1 ohm. i saturated and fired it and still worked. i put the cap on, drip some ejuice and got a low resistance reading on my vamo. checked the resistance and said 0.5 ohm. again, that was my first rebuild and i just went by videos i've seen on youtube so i didn't really know what i was doing. so i took it apart and removed one of the wraps and turned it into a 3/4 wrap and now i consistently get 1.7 ohms. so based on your post, less wraps should mean less resistance, which totally makes sense, so i just got totally lucky on my build :)

StillMaticc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2013
Brooklyn, New York
Well, my RSST should be here Tuesday.
The mesh was supposed to be delivered today, however with the lack of competence at USPS, it has not been delivered. The wire will be here tomorrow, hopefully......

All thats left is to find a nice mech mod that doesn't need to be altered or "modded'', within my budget. My wallet hates me right now.

Iusedtoanalog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hi Still. So I would advise you to go with an IMR battery in both situations. There are tons of battery/safety threads here at the ecf. This statement is my own personal opinion but in a mech mod you have a higher opportunity with an RBA to draw load in excess of what a protected battery can support, add to that the fact that the cheap pcbs on the protected batteries are not that great of an insurance policy to begin with........ The IMR battery chemistry can support higher amperage outputs for longer durations so in my view they are better suited to use in both scenarios. They carry less tendency for catastrophic thermal runaway also(smoke,bang,fire). If you are going to begin with a mech mod, the vapesafe 2cent fuse ( The Vape Safe )would be a good addition...... to say something simple like the Smoketech Natural ( Smoktech Natural fully mechanical e-cigarette. ). Just my two pennies on you current question. Happy Vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread