Can 1mL of 36mg on your skin kill you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
Assuming 40mg is the lethal dose and assuming you're working with 36mg eliquid, you'd have to get about 22-23 drops on your skin without any dripping off AND have it get 100% absorbed. That second point just isn't going to happen period with skin contact.

You'd have to try pretty damn hard to kill yourself by pouring it on your skin.

Hey Walrus, I read on Wikipedia that 40 to 60mg is lethal.

Ah ok, the juice not pure. So it's not as dangerous as I thought it was.

The lethal dose is correct at 40 - 60mg. The strength of eliquid is expressed in mg per ml, so 1ml of 36mg strength liquid contains 36mg of nicotine which is less than the lethal dose. Nicotine is readily absorbed thought the skin I have read but I have no idea of exactly how much gets into the bloodstream via the skin.

The interesting thing that I hadn't realised intil today is that the lethal dose of nicotine is less than that for sodium or potassium cyanide. ie. nicotine is more poisonous than NaCN or KCN.

OutWest

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Oklahoma USA
www.alternasmokes.com
regarding the ejuice on skin - i would say it would depend on where on the body it was (thinner skin area such as wrist, or mucous membrane areas will result in much faster transdermal ingestion of the nicotine) and how long it was allowed to remain on the skin before washing off.

IMHO, 1 ml of 36mg could potentially kill you, yes. Even though the MSDS says 40mg is lethal, 36mg could potentially be, especially if you are more sensitive, have a smaller size body, etc.

exogenesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
UK
So who's going to try rubbing in 1ml to test this then?

If you drank that 1ml, presumably the nicotine would all be adsorbed
pretty quickly, I assume that's the main reason for the childproof caps.

But also the breakdown rate of nicotine in the body is incredibly fast,
I think I've read, so you'd still probably need a lot more than 1 ml.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Lethal measures of nicotine are expressed for ingestion, not transdermal absorption. Some on your skin won't kill you -- unless you have unusual sensitivity.

But here's something to really think about. In the U.S., toy parts can't be small enough for a three-year-old to swallow. Ever see warnings on boxes to that effect? Now, take a good look at the cartridge for a mini cig. My penstyle cart is fine; it would choke me. But a mini? That's a size a child might swallow. And that tiny cart can easily contain enough nicotine solution to be fatal.

Question for suppliers? How would a first responder know if a child had swallowed one of your cartridges? And if a box was nearby, does the box clearly state that deadly nicotine levels are inside your carts? No? Well, they should be remedied then before government forces this valid issue.

bri1270

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
Massachusetts - USA
Question for suppliers? How would a first responder know if a child had swallowed one of your cartridges? And if a box was nearby, does the box clearly state that deadly nicotine levels are inside your carts? No? Well, they should be remedied then before government forces this valid issue.

Fantastic point Bob. I personally keep all of my e-cig devices, liquids and carts locked in my office drawer. Better to be safe than sorry.

JeremyJames

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Ok I actually spilt 4ML of 16MG E-Juice from JC on my bare leg the other night, I have hardwood floors and not even a drop fell on the floor, I looked really good because I was freaking out and didnt want my dog to lick some up or something...anyway...I didnt notice anything at all, no buzz or anything...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread