Can a mod be made with stock hardware store parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

magillagorilla

Sep 7, 2009
SW Ohio
Hey everyone,
I'm not really a dooms day preper but I like my vape and I'll be damned if the FDA is going to take it from me. So I figured out how to make my own mods and RBAs. I'm a horrible craftsman so while my mods work they are really ugly (think Altoids tins, sloppy epoxy resin, and haphazard battery holders). So is there a way to make a solid and reliable PV with stock hardware store parts? It would also need to run some kind of standard battery like the 18mm flavor.

A side question in the same vein of thought. Where is the best place to get cheep bulk Kanthal/nichrome wire?

Thanks for reading.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
Sure can! Here is a Home Depot special ;)

It's the Moneypenny mech Mod by fsors. It's all copper plumbing tubing with brass contacts. The top cap is rotatable to any position. It's comfortable to hold and use and it has very little voltage loss. I enjoy using it. I would imagine all the parts come from a hardware store.

I buy my wire from Tempco. Here is a link to 30g but you can buy other gauges there.

Last edited:

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
Yup easy breasy and u can even use brass tubeing of the same diamiter for a tougher mod with a goldish look
Here is an easy one to make 18650
IMAG0526.jpg

magillagorilla

Sep 7, 2009
SW Ohio
Thanks for the input. rogergendron1 how does your switch work? Did you post instructions anywhere? I'm thinking of building one with rba posts right on top, instead of a 510 thread. I have this idea of making a full field serviceable PV.

donnah that looks like something I would build for sure. Kinda steampunk. I have spent many nights picking through my spare parts tins to build odd PVs. I built one with a mercury switch once. It was interesting.

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
magillagorilla:10309042 said:
Thanks for the input. rogergendron1 how does your switch work? Did you post instructions anywhere? I'm thinking of building one with rba posts right on top, instead of a 510 thread. I have this idea of making a full field serviceable PV.

donnah that looks like something I would build for sure. Kinda steampunk. I have spent many nights picking through my spare parts tins to build odd PVs. I built one with a mercury switch once. It was interesting.

No instructions I just go to the hardware stores ace homedepo and lowes with a battery in my hand and see what tubes and pipes it will fit in and what caps the have and what buttons they got then take a mental note and go to the next store and do the same .

Once you know what stores have what parts you make your rounds and pick everything up . For your first mech mod I would recomend and easy copper tube mod with a 510 and a high amp electrical switch and heavy copper wireing . Makes it easyer to do and gradifying once your done. If you get a 10 amp intermitant switch and use heavy wire running from the switch to the 510 and from the 510 to the tube you can run any rebuildable you want as the amp rating on most batterys are 10amps . And because everything is copper wires and tube you will have a neglegable voltage drop .

darkmenace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2010
North West England
can someone post up a tutorial on how to build these?

Not exactly the same, but there are detailed instructions on a fully mechanical mod which doesn't require soldering here

Not sure I agree with the choice of atty, but it looks wicked and pretty easy to build.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Hey everyone,
I'm not really a dooms day preper but I like my vape and I'll be damned if the FDA is going to take it from me. So I figured out how to make my own mods and RBAs. I'm a horrible craftsman so while my mods work they are really ugly (think Altoids tins, sloppy epoxy resin, and haphazard battery holders). So is there a way to make a solid and reliable PV with stock hardware store parts? It would also need to run some kind of standard battery like the 18mm flavor.

A side question in the same vein of thought. Where is the best place to get cheep bulk Kanthal/nichrome wire?

Thanks for reading.
Absolutely...if someone hasn't already posted it

How to Build the Puck e-Cig Battery Mod - Part 1 - The PUCK eCig Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread