Can American ejuice be shipped to Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Curious. Any reason why?

I don't honestly know the details, but I think it's to do with restrictions on controlled substances. There's probably a way to do it if you get the correct permits, but for a vaper it would be cheaper to buy it in Canada than to jump through the legal hoops. Travellers are a bit of an exception. It's not technically legal to bring in a bottle or two that you're using at the moment, but I've never heard of customs bothering to confiscate it unless the person is underage (18 or 19, depending on the province).

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA
E-liquid with nicotine cannot legally be imported into Canada. A few American companies are willing to ship it, but you take your chances on whether or not it will be seized by customs.

This is actually incorrect. It's been legal since May of this year to import eliquids containing nicotine into Canada. As long as it is less than 60mg it's fine. You can also buy nicotine concentrate for DIY was well and again, as long as it is 60mg or less you're golden. You may or may not get hit with GST at the border so be aware of that possibility. :)

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
This is actually incorrect. It's been legal since May of this year to import eliquids containing nicotine into Canada. As long as it is less than 60mg it's fine. You can also buy nicotine concentrate for DIY was well and again, as long as it is 60mg or less you're golden. You may or may not get hit with GST at the border so be aware of that possibility. :)

Not doubting but do you have any official documentation? Have also heard from credible stores here in Toronto that shipping into Canada is illegal - and there are Canadian members here on ECF who claimed they have tried but not succeeded.

@Noah Black – few Canadian discount e-juice retailers.

USA Vape Shop - Electronic Cigarettes (Ecig Mods/Liquid/Starter Kit), eJuice, Vape Mods & Liquid, Vaporizers | DashVapes - US at DashVapes.com (not discount but do have a few lines that are cheaper than norm)
Bargain E-Juice
Warped Vapors - Salt Nicotine E-Juice Canada
Low-Priced Premium E-Liquid the best source of quality cheap e-liquid
200ML E-Juice Co. - Premium Quality Canadian E-Juice

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Not doubting but do you have any official documentation? Have also heard from credible stores here in Toronto that shipping into Canada is illegal - and there are Canadian members here on ECF who claimed they have tried but not succeeded.

@Noah Black – few Canadian discount e-juice retailers.

USA Vape Shop - Electronic Cigarettes (Ecig Mods/Liquid/Starter Kit), eJuice, Vape Mods & Liquid, Vaporizers | DashVapes - US at DashVapes.com (not discount but do have a few lines that are cheaper than norm)
Bargain E-Juice
Warped Vapors - Salt Nicotine E-Juice Canada
Low-Priced Premium E-Liquid the best source of quality cheap e-liquid
200ML E-Juice Co. - Premium Quality Canadian E-Juice

Yeah, there was a bulletin put out by the CBSA back in May stating that you can legally import up to a 3 month supply (I don't know who decides how much a 3 month supply is). I'm searching for it and will post it here when I find it.

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
"5. Vaping products that do not make health claims are not subject to the Food and Drug Act as long as they do not contain any drugs other than nicotine. These products must meet TVPA requirements and comply with the provisions of the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act (CCPSA), which addresses electrical, mechanical and toxicological risks posed by vaping products.
Note that ready to use vaping liquid that discloses a concentration of nicotine greater than or equal to 66 mg/g cannot be imported.
For more information about the legislative requirements for vaping products without health claims under the authority of the CCPSA, including the requirement for child resistant containers, and health and safety considerations, please consult the document entitled “Guidance on Vaping products not Marketed for a Therapeutic Use”."

Customs Notice 18-05 - Importation of Vaping Products - under the Tobacco and Vaping Products Act (TPVA)

All the links are available here so you can read up on it at your leisure. :lol:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
The original bulletin they issued on May 24th was a lot easier to read and understand :rolleyes: I see it was revised on November 28th and it's now much more difficult to find the relevant information (but it's there is you dig for it).

I’m tired, had a cocktail or 2 (or 4) so no energy to read a government document – bookmarked for a rainy day. But thanks for posting, Canadian government websites are a real joy to find info on.

In closing, we are still at the mercy of customs. If they feel the product does not comply, or the paperwork is not in check, they can and will deny shipment. Not saying this is common, but it does happen, and not just with vape related products. And if entry into the country is denied, the consumer is usually on the hook for shipping. It’s a risk we must be willing to take.

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
The original bulletin they issued on May 24th was a lot easier to read and understand :rolleyes: I see it was revised on November 28th and it's now much more difficult to find the relevant information (but it's there is you dig for it).
I had an order lost to Customs this fall, 480ml in total of juice. Before that order, many sites would not even ship north of the border. Either way, there are plenty of good juices made here and the stores that can import from the U.S

Reactions: Opinionated

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
"5. Vaping products that do not make health claims are not subject to the Food and Drug Act as long as they do not contain any drugs other than nicotine. These products must meet TVPA requirements and comply with the provisions of the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act (CCPSA), which addresses electrical, mechanical and toxicological risks posed by vaping products.
Note that ready to use vaping liquid that discloses a concentration of nicotine greater than or equal to 66 mg/g cannot be imported.
For more information about the legislative requirements for vaping products without health claims under the authority of the CCPSA, including the requirement for child resistant containers, and health and safety considerations, please consult the document entitled “Guidance on Vaping products not Marketed for a Therapeutic Use”."

Customs Notice 18-05 - Importation of Vaping Products - under the Tobacco and Vaping Products Act (TPVA)

All the links are available here so you can read up on it at your leisure. :lol:

Thanks for the update. My information was clearly past its best before date.:blush:

I had an order lost to Customs this fall, 480ml in total of juice. Before that order, many sites would not even ship north of the border. Either way, there are plenty of good juices made here and the stores that can import from the U.S

I suppose they decided it was over 3 months' supply. Or not compliant with TVPA and CCPSA. It seems the capriciousness of customs still applies. I'm willing to bet my pet peeve would scupper a lot of ejuices: listing the concentration as X mg rather than X mg/ml would not be acceptable labelling.

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016

I don't know what they consider to be a 3 month supply but for me it's at least 900 ml at bare minimum.

DIY is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. ;)

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada

Having done a fair bit of digging over the last 24 hours, I've come to the conclusion that it's more of a mess than I could have imagined. According to Section 3 of the Guidance document, ejuice falls into one of three categories:

1. Over 66 mg/g (note that it's mg per gram, not ml, so it varies by the composition of the juice but would likely be about 55 mg/ml): Very toxic, prohibited
  2. Between 10 and 66 mg/g: Toxic, must meet requirements for labelling and containers
  3. Between 0.1 and 10 mg/g: Potentially toxic, therefore "a violation of the general prohibition set out in paragraphs 7(a) or 8(a) of the CCPSA and ... subject to enforcement action."

So does 'subject to enforcement action' mean:
  • It needs to meet labelling and container requirements;
  • It's prohibited; or
  • It's up to the customs officer to come up with the answer?
Does anyone here have a law degree?

Curious. Any reason why?

After reading through that gobbledygook I can now answer this question correctly. As nicotine is toxic (at certain concentrations), it's regulated on that basis.

Acer50

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
Duck River Tasmania
www.facebook.com
It depends on how the vendor makes out the customs declaration. We have the same issue in some Australian states like the Northern Territory, Queensland and Western Australia. If the declaration shows that it is E-Juice or a tobacco product then yes you will stand a chance of it being seized. If however the declaration calls it food flavours or say dietary supplement then in Australia no one cares. I have also heard that Pay Pal are also blocking transactions for any juice that mentions tobacco or cigar in the transaction description if you need to send a PayPal invoice to a client. Avoid using the auto trigger words like E-Juice, Tobacco or Cigar and you should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread