Can an RTA be too small? (juice flow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endstille

Dec 25, 2017
Hello everyone,

So i've been trying to get into vaping for a while now, but i just can't seem to get it right, ever.

I'm currently vaping with a smok alien 220W with a baby beast RTA tank usually with 0.25ohm spaced ss coils with a maximum of 30W.

The problem is, i can't seem to vape longer than half a day with new cotton, nor does it help replacing the coils, i tried it with different ammounts of cotton, different ammount of wraps, spaced, touching, other flavours, etc...

I really want to stop smoking and switch over to vaping but it always starts to taste burnt after a while and i have to be really careful with chainvaping (which is hard), I also can't seem to get any flavor out of it. Vaping on lower wattages (20-25W) just makes it so that the juice evaporates really slow, the cotton wont last any longer.

Is there a possibility that this tank is too small for my needs/would a bigger tank that has less restricted juice flow solve these issues? Or do you have any other advice?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Is there a possibility that this tank is too small for my needs/would a bigger tank that has less restricted juice flow solve these issues? Or do you have any other advice?

Thanks in advance!

Sure... A RTA with a Less Restrictive e-Liquid Flow might help. But before you go off on a Quest to buy New Hardware, have you Tried doing Different Techniques to help your Coil Wick?

Things like...

Less Cotton / More Cotton
Shorter / Longer Tails
Trimmed Pointy Tails
Making a Groove in the Tail after you Prime it
etc

I Don't have that RTA. But the e-Liquid Inlets Don't look all that Small for 0.25 Ohms at 30 Watts. Maybe the Solution is just a Different Type of Wicking?

Or Maybe you e-Liquid is High VG Really Thick e-Liquid that a couple of Drops of Distilled Water could help?

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hello everyone,

So i've been trying to get into vaping for a while now, but i just can't seem to get it right, ever.

I'm currently vaping with a smok alien 220W with a baby beast RTA tank usually with 0.25ohm spaced ss coils with a maximum of 30W.

The problem is, i can't seem to vape longer than half a day with new cotton, nor does it help replacing the coils, i tried it with different ammounts of cotton, different ammount of wraps, spaced, touching, other flavours, etc...

I really want to stop smoking and switch over to vaping but it always starts to taste burnt after a while and i have to be really careful with chainvaping (which is hard), I also can't seem to get any flavor out of it. Vaping on lower wattages (20-25W) just makes it so that the juice evaporates really slow, the cotton wont last any longer.

Thanks in advance!
Hi,
Tell us about the coils you made and mounted?
Wraps? ID? How are you wicking them?
What is the VG content of your juice?
If you like RTAs, I would suggest you buy a proper RTA and toss the Smok tank in the basura.

Cheers
I

Endstille

Dec 25, 2017
Hello zoiDman, yes i've tried using more and less cotton, shorter and longer tails, i do trim pointy tails.

I haven't tried making a groove after priming and haven't tried adding a couple of drops of destilled water, i'll try that! I currently have a 50/50 mix juice, haven't tried anything more than 50% pg but that may be something else i could try!

Is there a way for easier air-bubble migration though without causing tank leaks? i feel like sometimes the absorption of the e liquid goes very slow (which i would describe as a cause of slow air bubble migration or vice versa).

Thank you for your reply!

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Not very helpful, but this is EXACTLY why I will no longer bother with RTAs. Too much wick, too little wick, wick too long, wick too short, leaks, dry hits, etc, etc. I do own, and sometimes (though rarely) use RDTAs, but my days of using RTAs are long over. The only other tanks I will even consider are subtanks with replaceable coils, and that is also rare.

For me, squonking (or dripping) is king. Never get any of that nonsense.

Again, I know that doesn't help the OP, but squonking would resolve all his/her issues.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hello zoiDman, yes i've tried using more and less cotton, shorter and longer tails, i do trim pointy tails.

I haven't tried making a groove after priming and haven't tried adding a couple of drops of destilled water, i'll try that! I currently have a 50/50 mix juice, haven't tried anything more than 50% pg but that may be something else i could try!

Is there a way for easier air-bubble migration though without causing tank leaks? i feel like sometimes the absorption of the e liquid goes very slow (which i would describe as a cause of slow air bubble migration or vice versa).

Thank you for your reply!

A 50:50 Mix really Shouldn't need any added Water. The PG at that Percentage should be More than adequate to thin the VG.

Do try the Groove Tech though.

Stuff the Tails into the Inlet Slots. Prime the Cotton as usual. But then take something Pointy like a BIG Sewing Needle or a Tiny Blue Screwdriver and make a Small Gap between the Metal of the Inlet Slot and the Cotton.

You would think that any amount of Gap would make it Leak? But as long as you don't go too crazy, it Doesn't.

• Agree

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If you can get your hands on some rayon (are you in the UK? I hear it's hard to get there) that wick may withstand the high heat and small size a bit better.

I will say (I use rayon) that I have Siren V2s that are 22 mm and 24 mm and the 24 mm wicks seem to last longer, generally. My guess is, the tank is not heating up as much. It's possible to have too much heat destroy a wick early, your juice even at 50/50 may be gunky too if it's sweet, dark or NET or WTA eliquid.
Anna

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
F-machine, yes, exactly that one! :p

There are two versions of that RBA, one is threaded, and the other one is press-fitted. The press-fitted ones will either short out or leak at some point. It will be very hard to recommend that RBA to anyone even the pros. I cannot emphasize more my hatred of that tank. But anyways, since you already have it and needing help, and If you can't get a better tank, you might want to try a different style of wicking. Something really radical. I'm not recommending this but just saying give it a try if you can.

Ever tried vertical coils?

Like this
SMOK-rba1.jpg
to this
SMOK-rba2.jpg

One more thing, if you have other types of coil material, try using kanthal or nichrome. I also have that issue with SS getting burned only after half a day. There are many types of SS too... I'm guessing you got SS 304?

Endstille

Dec 25, 2017
So i've tried the groove method, while it does work, it's quite impractical. Too much and the tank leaks, too little and there is the burnt taste again, the sweet spot is very hard to reach.

I can't seem to find any e-shops selling rayon (Belgium). However, I didn't search very deep.

I've stumbled across the vertical coil method a few times but honestly i don't think i'll try it, the thank is already hard enough to fit horizontal coils. While i do think it might work, I just can't be bothered anymore.

I see many people having some sort of issue with this tank and I have a vague feeling it's not only my lack of expertise which makes me fail. I think i'll just do my research on what tank to buy (with focus on ease of rebuilding, flavour, juice flow and especially low/lower maintainance). If that doesn't work then i guess i'll just give up and sell my whole vape kit.

PS i'm using 316L 26AGW SS wire to rebuild

Thank you very much for all the help!

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
Have you tried a few different juices? Some juices just turn to burnt crap for me.

The last two times I tried flavored juices in my SimpleEx, a simple wire build at 1.6 ohms with nic salts, the cotton would turn black and taste like crap at the end of the day. I switched to unflavored juice and could easily get 2 weeks out of it.

So all else being the same, the specific juice I was using was not very cotton/coil friendly.

Just a thought.

Cooperant

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2018
Ah, somebody else from Belgium. Rayon is more commonly named cellulose here. Look for 'cellulose watten' or 'kapperswatten' and you'll find rayon. Just make sure it's 100% cellulose.

Honestly, I feel you should look for a different tank. This one is finicky (though not necessarily bad). If you're not ready to commit to a real branded product, fasttech will ship clones to Belgium. That will allow you to try popular designs at a more affordable price, before committing to the real thing in a brick-and-mortar. Because of the way these are packed, they will pass customs without problems 9 times out of 10 (choose Belgium express e-packet as a shipping method). If they don't, customs will do you the courtesy of sending a nice official document with all relevant rules for buying e-cigarette stuff online, which was worth the ten dollars all by itself to me :)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So i've tried the groove method, while it does work, it's quite impractical. Too much and the tank leaks, too little and there is the burnt taste again, the sweet spot is very hard to reach.

I can't seem to find any e-shops selling rayon (Belgium). However, I didn't search very deep.

I've stumbled across the vertical coil method a few times but honestly i don't think i'll try it, the thank is already hard enough to fit horizontal coils. While i do think it might work, I just can't be bothered anymore.

I see many people having some sort of issue with this tank and I have a vague feeling it's not only my lack of expertise which makes me fail. I think i'll just do my research on what tank to buy (with focus on ease of rebuilding, flavour, juice flow and especially low/lower maintainance). If that doesn't work then i guess i'll just give up and sell my whole vape kit.

PS i'm using 316L 26AGW SS wire to rebuild

Thank you very much for all the help!

Well if you have tried a Multitude of Things and Nothings seems to work, It might just be Time for New RTA.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I agree with the new tank crowd. Do some research and go shopping.
One trick not mentioned is thinning the tails. Wick it with plenty of cotton, cut to length, then use tweezers or something pointy to rake out the tails, raking the wicking from the coil to the end of wicking, gently removing some and straightening out the fibers. Then cut to length again and gently stuff into position.
Get a new tank though, or better yet, an rda. RDA's are more forgiving with wicking.

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
Why give up mate? See my profile pic? Ignore him please! Don't take that light again! All you need is a new tank, you'll find many that will solve your issues in a sneeze! And while you're at it, better grab some nichrome or better yet, a spool of clapton wires. You don't need much help really! Just do what most are telling you and you'll be alright vaping.

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
well i own a tank like that, is not the best RTA experience, i rather true RTA's over sub-omhs with RBA craps, but that tank is decent enough,

i use to build dual triple core ni80 coils, 2.5mm inner, 5 wraps for 0.15-0.20 ohms, use cotton bacon, always fluffy my wick ends, also cut'em diagonal, try to leave a tight wick, havent gotten a single leak, this tank is pretty interesting for begginers on coil and wicking,

you could try:
use less cotton or less cotton legs, cut em aprox: 1inch from coil ends, try to fluffly them as much as possible,

look for any leaks and also fire'em just in the deck, prime with some liquid and see if the wick absorbs the enough or desired e liquid amount,

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread