Status
Not open for further replies.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Is there anybody who can enplane in Iron worker language ( strong back week mind) how to understand the joules measurement in the new YiHI board and what it tells me.
10931247_376865755829546_7766504268301669745_n.jpg

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Joules is/can be defined as the Amount of Work Performed.

Be it when a Force of 1 Newton is applied over 1 Meter, a Newton Meter. Or when 1 Ampere passes thru 1 Ohm of resistance for 1 Second.

Temp Control works by Calculated how much Heat should be Generated by a Resistance Wire for a Given Ohm and Amps.

When the Calculated Heat is going to be Exceeded, the Circuit Board cuts the Amount of Voltage that the Resistance Wire will receive. In Effect, Limiting the Heat generated by the Coil.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Joules is/can be defined as the Amount of Work Performed.

Be it when a Force of 1 Newton is applied over 1 Meter, a Newton Meter. Or when 1 Ampere passes thru 1 Ohm of resistance for 1 Second.

Temp Control works by Calculated how much Heat should be Generated by a Resistance Wire for a Given Ohm and Amps.

When the Calculated Heat is going to be Exceeded, the Circuit Board cuts the Amount of Voltage that the Resistance Wire will receive. In Effect, Limiting the Heat generated by the Coil.
Ok I can kinda get my pea brain around that but when the joules measurement on the mod is changing what is it telling me?

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
got a link?

at about 11 min in the video he talks about the Joules portion of the meter but it looks like Im wrong about the this being the heat sensing measurment its just part of the YiHI board because this review is for the way outdated S class its already a few months old!

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Ok I can kinda get my pea brain around that but when the joules measurement on the mod is changing what is it telling me?

It's telling you that More or Less Work is being Performed.

When you turn a Dimmer Switch for a Lamp to High, you say that More Light is Coming off the Light Bulb. But another way you could Phrase it is More Work is being Performed. Same with when you Turn the Dimmer Switch Down. Less Work.

Now if you were Blind, you couldn't tell. Right?

But If you put your Hand over the Light Bulb with the Dimmer Switch on High, you would Notice that the Light Bulb is giving off More Heat than when the Dimmer Switch is set to Low.

I think where people get Confused with something like Joules is it is a Measure of something that they are Not Used to thinking about.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
It's telling you that More or Less Work is being Performed.

When you turn a Dimmer Switch for a Lamp to High, you say that More Light is Coming off the Light Bulb. But another way you could Phrase it is More Work is being Performed. Same with when you Turn the Dimmer Switch Down. Less Work.

Now if you were Blind, you couldn't tell. Right?

But If you put your Hand over the Light Bulb with the Dimmer Switch on High, you would Notice that the Light Bulb is giving off More Heat than when the Dimmer Switch is set to Low.

I think where people get Confused with something like Joules is it is a Measure of something that they are Not Used to thinking about.

I see says the blind man ;-) My big confusion was I misunderstood what they were using Joules to explain. It has nothing to do with the temp so If I pay close attention I can get a good guess at how long my battery will last with a certain build with the Joules?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So Joules is just a confusing number added to show how much power I am using?

Power... Yikes. This is a Term that can mean Many Different things. Check out the Last Sentence in this Wiki Quote...

The joule (/ˈdʒuːl/ or sometimes /ˈdʒaʊl/), symbol J, is a derived unit of energy, work, or amount of heat in the International System of Units.[1] It is equal to the energy transferred (or work done) when applying a force of one newton through a distance of one metre (1 newton metre or N·m), or in passing an electric current of one ampere through a resistance of one ohm for one second. It is named after the English physicist James Prescott Joule (1818–1889).[2][3][4]

In terms firstly of base SI units and then in terms of other SI units:
\rm J = {}\rm \frac{kg \cdot m^2}{s^2} = N \cdot m = \rm Pa \cdot m^3={}\rm W \cdot s = C \cdot V
where kg is the kilogram, m is the metre, s is the second, N is the newton, Pa is the pascal, W is the watt, C is the coulomb, and V is the volt.

One joule can also be defined as:
The work required to move an electric charge of one coulomb through an electrical potential difference of one volt, or one '"coulomb volt" (C·V). This relationship can be used to define the volt.

The work required to produce one watt of power for one second, or one "watt second" (W·s) (compare kilowatt hour - 3.6 megajoules). This relationship can be used to define the watt.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Moved you from General Vaping Discussion to APV Discussion - Temperature Control :)

correction moved to APV discussion Temp control then moved again because it has nothing to do with temp control and everything to do with power compsution and use that is hard to understand;-)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I see says the blind man ;-) My big confusion was I misunderstood what they were using Joules to explain. It has nothing to do with the temp so If I pay close attention I can get a good guess at how long my battery will last with a certain build with the Joules?

It is all Interrelated. And Everything is Dependent on the Other Quantities Involved. Let a Dance between multiple people where when one person Moves Closer to the Center of the Dance Floor, another moves Farther away.

When I change the Ohms of a Coil and keep the Voltage the Same, I will perform Less or More Work. Same with if I keep the Ohms the Same but provide a Different Voltage to the Coil.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Power... Yikes. This is a Term that can mean Many Different things. Check out the Last Sentence in this Wiki Quote...

OK Im going to try watching the joules with different builds and see if I can use it to give my self an accurate idea how long a battery will last. I think Now Im anxious for the mod to get here so I can do some head scratching and possibly learn something new ;-)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
OK Im going to try watching the joules with different builds and see if I can use it to give my self an accurate idea how long a battery will last. I think Now Im anxious for the mod to get here so I can do some head scratching and possibly learn something new ;-)

Sometimes putting Numbers into a Unfamiliar Concept helps one to get a grasp of what is Going on.

Check Out these pages.

How to convert joules to watts (W)

What is Electric Power (P)

They do a Good Job of showing how to Calculate things like Joules or Watts.

Reactions: horton
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread