Can anyone explain 'phantom' Vapor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobothebikie

Sep 12, 2010
Australia
A bit of a weird question here, but hopefully someone might be able to answer :)

I'm direct dripping a variety of juices onto my Ego atty (Dekang PG and VG, various strenghts). I usually do about 2-3 drips per session.

After about 5-10 hits of great vape and throat hit, the flavour and throat hit disappear, it gets the 'chemical'-type taste, but here's the rub- I still get massive amounts of vapor.

At this point, I normally top up, but I'm concerned about overflowing the atty, as something must be getting heated up to make all that vape! This is confirmed by when I try blowing it out, as it definitely has fluid in there.

I guess I'm just wondering what is causing this, and if there is an efficient way to 'burn off' whatever is left in the atty before topping up so I can keep things as fresh as possible or - why is it losing the flavour and throat hit and going chemical-tasting when there is obviously still juice in the atty?

Thanks in advance! This place is the absolute best!

Last edited:

Vidi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Sometimes, juice will gunk up in there as it gets burnt. And as StarsandBars said, you're vaping already vaped juice at that point. You're losing flavor because that flavor has already been vaped. The "chemical" taste you described is often referred to as a "burnt" taste by others. It's nasty. And you're running the risk of damaging your atomizer once that taste hits if you don't rewet the atomizer.

Also, if you're getting alot of gunk left over, you may want to consider a nice iso bath for your attys.

This video is by Cozzicon. It really helped me out. Hope it does the same for you.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
To be honest, this is the one thing that I have never seen explained, and I have been wondering the same thing for awhile now.
Your post has encouraged me to take this question over to the veterans subforum and see if I can get a definitive answer.

The correct answer to this question is the last missing piece of the puzzle.
Once this piece is dropped into place, the last few things I don't understand will all have to start making sense.
:)

Hopefully I will be back in a few days with an answer...

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Here was my post in the veterans area, and some of the answers I've gotten so far...

My theory has always sort of been that the burnt taste comes from starting to "smoke" the built on gunk on the atomizer coil.
But if that were true then it should only happen with older atomizers, which is not the case.

Is it that there is not enough juice left at this point, and you are "smoking" a thin layer of juice and burning it?

i suspect the atty coil is partially dry and burning whatever is on the dry and over heated portion of the coil.

I got to think that it is just the metal heating up - perhaps ceramic. A smell you might get when you first turn on your heaters in the fall (like I may do today ;-) or a cutting torch on metal they way it smells - likely worse when inhaling directly. Some may be gunk on older attys, primer on new ones but mainly metal and vaporized air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread