Can boiling atty in water kill the atty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
"Can boiling atty in water kill the atty?"

Not necessarily.

How long did you boil them? You may not have boiled them long enough.

Have you examined the innards with a magnifying glass? Compare them under the glass with a brand-new atty. It's possible the attys are still gunked up. "Darker" e-liquids are notorious for really gunking up attys.

Did you let them dry long enough? Usually it's best to let them dry and rest 24 hours or more before trying to use them, unless you've used a hair dryer or something like that to make all the water go away.

Finally, word to the wise with regard to attys: clean them before they get hopelessly gunked up!

I clean most of my used attys once per week. Those have mostly been used to sample less than one ml. of new flavors, which is really easy on them. But I also have a Reo Grande. I vape it maybe a couple of hours per day, and usually I'm vaping a tobacco flavor (another notorious gunker-of-attys). Those attys get changed out every two to three days and go in the "attys to be cleaned" jar. They all look nearly squeaky-clean before I clean them, but I clean them anyway.

SkeetS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2011
A, A
Try and put those suckers in vodka for a day.
Then take them out, blow them and screw them on the batt.
Try and so some dry burns (press the button on the battery) and let them heat up.
Short dry burns i mean.
Then put a bit of juice and see if they work
Keep us updated on the results.

By the way..use pure vodka.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
My atty cleaning technique involves using 91% isopropyl alcohol in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner. It's amazing how brown some "almost clean" attys turn the alcohol. Nine to 12 minutes is all it takes.

Then I let them dry at least five days (more in the humid summer) before using them again. Isopropyl alcohol is nasty stuff, but it's an effective cleaner and it does have the good grace to evaporate completely and leave no taste if you let them dry long enough.

Saviorself

Mar 9, 2011
Las Vegas
My atty cleaning technique involves using 91% isopropyl alcohol in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner. It's amazing how brown some "almost clean" attys turn the alcohol. Nine to 12 minutes is all it takes.

Then I let them dry at least five days (more in the humid summer) before using them again. Isopropyl alcohol is nasty stuff, but it's an effective cleaner and it does have the good grace to evaporate completely and leave no taste if you let them dry long enough.

I thought about buying an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner. I read alot of good things about those.

L7D4N

Ice Cream!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I have always boiled my atty's, but I use metal tongs and swish it around vigorously, in an effort to get the wicks even cleaner.

One method I do use when I'm in a pinch, or I'm at work, is a desoldering bulb from radio shack. It costs $5.99, and the plastic "nipple" (for lack of a better term) once removed, makes an opening in the rubber bulb the exact size of a 510 atomizer. It will push and suck liquid through it faster than blowing through it, without causing any damage. It's quite handy.

Dishona

Mar 18, 2011
California
After struggling with the cleaning issue - I just ordered an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner from Amazon and bought a really cheap bottle of vodka. I also ordered a dozen atty's and think I am going to try to use a new one every other day to see what kind of performance I can get - BTW - I am using the new Ego "C" version so the atty's are a little easier on the wallet. I'll let you know how things go after I get my cleaner on Thursday and have the chance to try it out.

bilboda

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2012
Miami, FL
I'm too much of a coward to try isopropyl alcohol. I use pure vodka instead.

Not to mention the secondary uses for your cleaner.

I use vinegar and baking soda. Saw this on youtube and it just works. Fill atty with baking soda and pour some vinegar in, cover it with your finger until the bubbles subside and repeat till the baking soda's gone.

I saw another video using dentaured alcohol and will try that someday. That should get everything out.. but the vinegar/baking soda get's them very clean. More repritions might make them perfect but they vape like day 1 so I'm done after 1 or 2 cycles. You will have to flush them with hot water and let them dry. That's why there are fans in your pc, by the way. :D
Vinegar/baking soda
How To - Cleaning an atomizer - YouTube
Denatured Alcohol
super clean an atomizer - YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread