Can Burnt Taste Linger In Liquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
So here's my question for tonight. Got my first variable voltage battery today and everything was fine until I cranked it up to max and apparently burned the wick, resulting in a horrible burnt taste that lingered in my lungs and gave me a headache. Surprisingly, though, when I changed the head on my evod the burnt taste was still there even though, theoretically, in shouldn't have been since there was a brand new wick. After testing and restesting until my head started spinning (the one above my shoulders) from consuming too much nicotine, I just decided to dump the juice and replace it with a different flavor after wiping out the inside of the tank as best one can with an evod (the juice gets stuck up there by the drip tip which is a pain). It seems to be better although it's hard to tell if it's back to normal since the burnt taste is still lingering on my tongue and in my lungs. I guess I won't know until that passes and I can taste it with a clean palate. So my question is regarding the burning taste: can burning the wick fowl the juice itself and give it a burnt taste or do you think there is something else going on. This is my first experience with a burnt taste so I'm totally ignorant about what's going on here.

Last edited:

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
Yes it can.

Well that was a simple and direct answer. As a sub-question, I suspect one of the factors of the burning besides the high voltage was because I switched from a high VG concentrate to a standard PG mix using the same head. Do you think doing that causes problem with the wick absorbing the juice and thus causing it to burn? I ask because I vaped it on high voltage with the VP mix and there didn't seem to be any problem. It wasn't until I switched juices that I started having issues.

Last edited:

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Hey Cj. You might still be recovering from that nasty experience. Your wick should not have burned since it's silica. You can rinse it in hot water and try it again later and it should be okay, or you can just toss it.

As far as the burnt taste leaching back into your juice, I suppose it can happen, but it hasn't for me.

What kind of variable did get?

Edit: Different juices will taste different and may burn at difference voltages. Always start at a lower voltage and work your way up.

Last edited:

vaperature

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 8, 2013
    Chicago
    Hey Cj. You might still be recovering from that nasty experience. Your wick should not have burned since it's silica. You can rinse it in hot water and try it again later and it should be okay, or you can just toss it.

As far as the burnt taste leaching back into your juice, I suppose it can happen, but it hasn't for me.

What king of variable did get?

Yeah? So you don't think the wick actually burned? There was a very distinct burnt taste going on even after I lowered the voltage to minimum. I don't think it was just what was still on my tongue because it was pretty nasty. I'm not exactly sure what the "variable" was (I'm assuming you mean vp vs pg), but one was a ruthless brand which based on what I see on their website is usually 80% or 90% vp, and the other was from vape dojo which I think is 50/50 although I'm not sure. (oh wait, you mean the battery, it's a ego-c twist)

Last edited:

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I have 4-5 Twist and get caught all the time. If you want to salvage that head you can give it shot for practice, first time is a PITA to explain and there are YT videos all over regarding this. Maybe keep it to side as a rebuilding project for some time in the future.

I can give you the "elevator" version if you'd like.

vaperature

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 8, 2013
    Chicago
    I have 4-5 Twist and get caught all the time. If you want to salvage that head you can give it shot for practice, first time is a PITA to explain and there are YT videos all over regarding this. Maybe keep it to side as a rebuilding project for some time in the future.

I can give you the "elevator" version if you'd like.

I am going to save the head and experiment with washing it and / or rewicking and / or recoiling when I have the concentration. I just don't know why it burned like that all of a sudden. Like I said, it was doing fine on the ruthless juice but burned like a log on the other juice. I would think if something burns that badly some carbon or whatever is causing that taste would leach into the juice into the tank. Does that make sense? This was my first unpleasant experience vaping. I'm kind of bummed but I got a new gadget and now I have to learn how to use it.

Last edited:

vaperature

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 8, 2013
    Chicago
    Uck, I can still taste it a little. Nasty experience. I also charged up the battery after using it a while so it could be that the battery wasn't fully charged when I bought it and charging it up gave it that extra kick to burn the wick (or juice I guess if the wick itself didn't burn, something burned) when it didn't do it before. Also, and I don't want to get off topic so let's not turn it into a thread, but I noticed the battery automatically turns itself off after eight seconds instead of ten seconds so I hope there isn't something wrong with the battery causing it to pump out too much power or something.

Last edited:

Mrs C

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Indiana
    If you have a silica wick, it isn't the wick that burnt. It's the juice that burnt and stuck to the wick and coil. If it burnt badly enough it can leave enough residue that washing and dry burning won't get it all. Hot running water is the best way to flush out the juice that clings in that space on the evod. Just keep filling and dumping til it's clean.

vaperature

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 8, 2013
    Chicago
    If you have a silica wick, it isn't the wick that burnt. It's the juice that burnt and stuck to the wick and coil. If it burnt badly enough it can leave enough residue that washing and dry burning won't get it all. Hot running water is the best way to flush out the juice that clings in that space on the evod. Just keep filling and dumping til it's clean.

Thanks. The question lingers though why it still tasted burnt after I changed the head for a brand new one.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 23, 2011
    Boston MA
    You have a couple things going on here.

Let's take the coil confusion first. You can't really burn the coil or the wick. However what you can do is burn the flavorings and sweeteners in your liquids if you run too high a voltage, and that gunk gets stuck onto the coil and wick. Think of it like burning something in a sauce pan. The pan survived, but the burned on gunk is gonna be on the surface of the pan until you remove it. The coil can be saved, but you will be tasting burned gunk every time you try to use that coil now until it's been cleaned. Set it aside for now.

As far as what happened to the liquid? Same "pan" analogy applies. You may have only burned a small amount of the liquid in close proximity to the coil and wick, but there is no barrier to prevent that burned taste from transferring to the rest of your liquid. Yeah - you trashed the liquid, especially if you did repeated hits while trying to figure out what was going on before you changed to a clean coil.

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Really, what you'll want to do, is get a pair of reading glasses and tweezers.

Pull the clear rubber gasket off the head and gently pry the post off the base, "back and forth" get it?

Tweezer out the loose strand of wick, gently not to destroy it. set aside. Rinse the crap out of the remaining wick that is coiled.

"Blow" it dry as best as possible. and stick it back into the threaded base and place it back into your Twist. Do not get your Twist wet.

Fire your twist on and off at 3 second intervals until you see the coil glow. Using the tweezers, pick up the loose wick and rinse it good and put it back where it belongs.

The post will pop back into place and replace the rubber gasket. It should be good to go.

Anybody else can give you better tips, or go to u-tube.

What you have is probably burnt juice on your coil that will go away when you dry burn it.

None of this was meant to sound dirty

Last edited:

vaperature

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 8, 2013
    Chicago
    You have a couple things going on here.

Let's take the coil confusion first. You can't really burn the coil or the wick. However what you can do is burn the flavorings and sweeteners in your liquids if you run too high a voltage, and that gunk gets stuck onto the coil and wick. Think of it like burning something in a sauce pan. The pan survived, but the burned on gunk is gonna be on the surface of the pan until you remove it. The coil can be saved, but you will be tasting burned gunk every time you try to use that coil now until it's been cleaned. Set it aside for now.

As far as what happened to the liquid? Same "pan" analogy applies. You may have only burned a small amount of the liquid in close proximity to the coil and wick, but there is no barrier to prevent that burned taste from transferring to the rest of your liquid. Yeah - you trashed the liquid, especially if you did repeated hits while trying to figure out what was going on before you changed to a clean coil.

I think you nailed it. I'm convinced the burnt taste ended up being in the juice therefore it still tasted burnt even when I was no longer burning anything.

vaperature

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 8, 2013
    Chicago
    Really, what you'll want to do, is get a pair of reading glasses and tweezers.

Pull the clear rubber gasket off the head and gently pry the post off the base, "back and forth" get it?

Tweezer out the loose strand of wick, gently not to destroy it. set aside. Rinse the crap out of the remaining wick that is coiled.

"Blow" it dry as best as possible. and stick it back into the threaded base and place it back into your Twist. Do not get your Twist wet.

Fire your twist on and off at 3 second intervals until you see the coil glow. Using the tweezers, pick up the loose wick and rinse it good and put it back where it belong.

The post will pop back into place and replace the rubber o-ring. It should be good to go.

Anybody else can give you better tips, or go to u-tube.

What you have is probably burnt juice on your coil that will go away when you dry burn it.

Well like you said there are YT videos. I've already seen a couple of them. It doesn't look too hard.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread