Can eroll short from bottom touching metal, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I've always tried to be careful keeping the bottom of the eroll from touching metal. Is this necessary? I'm not sure how it can charge through those contacts with the charger, but not be vulnerable to shorting. It sure would be easier not to worry about that. They have sometimes been left against metal momentarily, but not caused any shorting problem for me. I'd think there's probably some reason not to worry, though that doesn't comfort me much without knowing for sure.

Reactions: xtwosm0kesx

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
I dont think it's possible to short one that way.

I just dug out an old eroll and put a multi-meter on the contacts, no voltage whatsoever, so must be a 1 way charging circuit or something.

Then (even though i already knew) i tried to short the contacts with various metals, and nothing.

If it were possible, given how many e-rolls are out there at this point, i assume it would've been mentioned before (dont recall ever seeing it)

So, imo, its a non-issue and you'll be fine.

Reactions: nicnik

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I dont think it's possible to short one that way.

I just dug out an old eroll and put a multi-meter on the contacts, no voltage whatsoever, so must be a 1 way charging circuit or something.

Then (even though i already knew) i tried to short the contacts with various metals, and nothing.

If it were possible, given how many e-rolls are out there at this point, i assume it would've been mentioned before (dont recall ever seeing it)

So, imo, its a non-issue and you'll be fine.

Thanks. I'm somewhat less worried, now, but still wondering if your old eroll isn't perhaps dead.

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
I imagine that voltage applied from the charger flips switch of some type to permit charging. Short protection is common in commercial devices.
If you could short one that way, it would have happened by now.
But to keep your mind at ease, don't rest the charging contacts against metal. ;)

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
Thanks. I'm somewhat less worried, now, but still wondering if your old eroll isn't perhaps dead.

Well i obviously made sure it worked first (no reason why it would'nt, e-roll(s) hold charge well, cases not so much) took several rips off some funky older juice still in a tank...lol

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread