Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Background: Light smoker (3-5 cigs a day, usually just morning and night or on the *occasional* long drive, don't take smoke breaks during the day), have quit intermittently multiple times, never withdrawn, don't fiend for nicotine, I just like it, and wanted to have a cleaner/cheaper way of enjoying it.

I'm incredibly busy and don't want to spend too much time tinkering and obsessing (which I can already see is probably inevitable, as this seems like a fun hobby if nothing else, but I'd like to keep it under control for now)

Like many newbs I fell for the Green Smoke, and am now (too late) fully aware of all the bad reviews, equipment issues, and cost issues, compatibility issues, etc. But I've had it since Tuesday and the thing is, I love it!

Vapor: I have nothing to compare this to, but I have always enjoyed large volumes of smoke (I started with hookah, then pipes, then cigs), and this totally satisfies

batteries: Not a single issue yet. Charged small and large on the first night, and haven't recharged since with quite a bit of use (I'm smoking more than usual, because this is too damn fun). The cutoff is a full 5 Mississippi, and honestly anymore than that and the smoke would be too hot and too much for my throat and lungs. The passthrough works excellent in my car hooked up to my Ipod USB adapter-charger

Cartos: I actually really enjoy the taste. I got the menthol ice and absolute tobacco, have been on the same two cartos since Tuesday night. No burnt taste, consistent output so far. Though after repeated, slow 5 second draws they can get a bit too hot for my throat.

note: I did read up on vaping technique before starting, so it could be that my battery life and carto performance are better than most (bad) experiences with GS because I draw really slow and light, and do take breaks after a 2-3 hits, which is how i normally smoke anyway.

So here is the pickle. I'm totally satisfied, but want to

1) not get ripped off anymore than I have (too late right? :) )

2) start filling my own cartos (that's about the most hassle I can tolerate, going to a three piece or dripping isn't somewhere I want to go yet), and realize that the safest way to do this is to get a manual Batt.

questions: I suppose the best person to pose these to is someone who found GS satisfying in the above ways and found equal performance and saved money by switching to another D2 or a D1...

Again, despite my relative satisfaction, the major attraction of switching batts at this point is getting a manual D1 or D2 so its safer with respect to flooding accidents that seem to be a risk of filling your own cartos, but...

1) does the high vapor volume come from the 808D-2 battery, or is it just a green smoke carto thing?

If I start using lecig cartos or az smoke free cartos and filling them myself, or alternatively getting a manual 808D-2 batt from the latter company, will I be disappointed by the vapor volume?

2) If I switch to 808D-1 for increased compatibility, again, will I be disappointed by the vapor volume?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, and this site is unbelievably helpful! I have seen some similar questions and researched this site extensively for a few days now, but I guess what I haven't seen yet is feedback from someone who was actually happy with the GS and found satisfaction from a D2 manual batt or D1 in terms of vapor, taste, etc. Sorry if this replicates another post too closely!

Cyrus

Renzuli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2011
North Las Vegas
Welcome to ECF . Not all that familiar with GS , but getting some juice and re-filling the carto's is most definitely the cheaper way to go . It's not difficult at all , and there are lots of videos on the re-filling methods .Manual batteries are a lot safer as far as leaking issues go , but as long as you don't overfill the carto's , shouldn't be an issue . Good luck . And by the way , manual batteries usually give more vapor , etc, than auto batteries . Hope that helps . I'm sure some people with some actual GS experience , will jump in and add their .02 worth .

Last edited:

Tersur

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2011
Bfe Kentucky
The Volt kit is highly recomended for small sized. Most find after awhile the Battery life of the smaller ones drive them to upgrade. Most upgrades after that go to a Riva, ego, Or e-power kit. I myself am going to recomend the E-power kit with Boge 2.0 cartomizers. They are low hassle and hit very good with that setup.

mooreted

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2011
California
Actually, the main problem with GreenSmoke is the price. GS is actually a pretty good kit, they should just be about half what they charge.

You can fill cartos even if you use automatic batteries. The main thing is to be sure and blow out any excess juice so it doesn't leak. My girlfriend has automatic batteries and I refill hers all the time.

For an alternative with more compatibility you might try the Volt from Smokeless image, the VaporKing from Vapor4Life or the Bloog.

If you want something with better battery life then you might try an eGo or Riva and some Boge 2.0 cartomizers.

Oddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
UK
i'm with mooreted, there an ok-ish kit, but they have like a 500% mark-up.

now your got it tho and seem to be happy with it i'd stick with it till you either kill it or get bored of it, then get a 510 manual with some boge 2.0's and it'll out perform that GS.

Some time around here tho and you'll soon get your own idea of where you wanna go

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Hi Cyrus Vap and welcome to ECF. Many here begin with small starter kits, such as yours, and progress upwards to larger kits and/ or mods. Judging by the amount you smoked and the amount you vape there is really no good reason to "overbuy". A Riva or an eGo should suffice and there is $$ to be saved by filling your own cartos. In regards to vapor the more VG in a juice the more vapor. PG and Nic gives the TH and Lung Hit. Most store bought juices are 10/ 30 PG/ VG or 80/ 20 PG/ VG. I would imagine you're vaping single coil cartos so battery wise 100 mah= 1 hour vaping time. Unless you're going to upgrade to a 3.7 Volt it's only going to be the juice PG/ VG that affects your vapor but I really don't you need to go that route.
E-Liquid and Electronic Cigarette Shop - Category Listings is reputable and has some great starter kits- also 20% off discount.
Good Luck, Vapoor.

NoMoreMondays

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
Indiana
Don't fix what isn't broke! :), but I do have a suggestion that could help save you some cash and keep you from "tinkering" with the cartridges:

Lecig has adapters for Green Smoke battery to 510 atomizers, cartos and what-not:
LeCig D2 Battery to 510 Cartomizer Adapter

That's an easy fix to use 510 cartomizers (Boge cartos work very well) that you could use with some delicious e-liquid (use a 25% VG -> that's what produces the vapor) that would cost you a lot less than the Green Smoke pre-filled cartridges.

The KR808D-2 (also called e9, AKA Green Smoke) doesn't last as long as the KR808D and doesn't charge as fast, but they are similar as far as performance goes. So, if it ain't broke ...

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
No you cannot beat it with a slim ecig. Greensmoke's only flaws are cost and compatibility. The popular near-twin is KR808D-1 and as far as I know they differ only in threading. Greensmoke is KR808D-2 aka E9 threading. But KR808D-1 threading is supported by 3rd party manufacturers for new kinds of cartomizers like the many clear reservoir cartomizers and nice horizontal coil cartos. KR808D-1 is one of the 2 most popular slim minis here and the -1 and -2 are the strongest slim ecigs at 3.7v. V4L's KR808D-1 may beat GS in one thing - they have a custom 10-13 second cutoff allowing much longer drags.

You can beat BOTH with fat battery and mod 3.7v, variable voltage and high voltage devices which can all use hotter (lower resistance) attys and cartos as well as dual coil attys/cartos

Last edited:

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Thank you all for the swift replies! All great points, well taken. Does anyone have experience with AZsmokefree or LeCig, the companies, or D2 stuff, or both?

@mooreted: thank you for the tips on refilling, i'll probably put this to good use shortly

@HunterD and NoMoreMondays: You're right, its not broke, and I am pretty happy with it :)

@Dormouse: I think you came closest to hitting one of my poorly expressed questions

how does your V4L vapor output compare to GS? I know vapor isn't everything, but my concern is sending this stuff back, getting an 808-1, and feeling let down by the amount of vapor...

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
If GS is working for you and you like it, I say get some juice and keep using it until you find you are not satisfied with it then look for something else. I actually quit smoking using an off brand that no one even talks about here, but hey it worked! My upgrade was to a Halo G6 Kr808-1 style and I still love using it. My fav slim ecig. I also have a mod too I love, so what ever works for you no rush to change a thing if it works :) bnrk

CCC

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2011
Australia
I started out with smokestik, similar to greensmoke. I was satisfied with it in the same ways you are. I had an auto battery and was sucessfully refilling them. The thing that i got tired of was the amount i was refilling because the cartos are so small, and i was recharging the batteries several times a day. I bit the bullet and got an ego and some Echo-e cartomizers. This set up is perfect for me, it is just like the 2 piece system of the smokestik, just larger, so i charge and refill once per day. I still use the smokestick when i am out and about and i love having it there just as a back up device if something should happen to my main PV.

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
I started out with smokestik, similar to greensmoke. I was satisfied with it in the same ways you are. I had an auto battery and was sucessfully refilling them. The thing that i got tired of was the amount i was refilling because the cartos are so small, and i was recharging the batteries several times a day. I bit the bullet and got an ego and some Echo-e cartomizers. This set up is perfect for me, it is just like the 2 piece system of the smokestik, just larger, so i charge and refill once per day. I still use the smokestick when i am out and about and i love having it there just as a back up device if something should happen to my main PV.

CCC: you probably vape a bit heavier than I do :)

any tips for not flooding the cartomizers and destroying the batt if I give this a go?

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
After a bit of flopping around youtube and here I think Im getting an itch for a halo G6

The Halo G6 seems like a great piece, and I like the "all USA" thing, unless of course its too good to be true :)

It seems to put out a ton of vapor on youtube reviews, and that's what I'm looking for in so far as its possible in an 808

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
If GS is working for you and you like it, I say get some juice and keep using it until you find you are not satisfied with it then look for something else. I actually quit smoking using an off brand that no one even talks about here, but hey it worked! My upgrade was to a Halo G6 Kr808-1 style and I still love using it. My fav slim ecig. I also have a mod too I love, so what ever works for you no rush to change a thing if it works :) bnrk

this post sent me on the trail of Halo, and alas, I pulled the trigger

I'll be sending the green scam back next week! keep ya'll posted. thanks much for the help

mooreted

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2011
California
Once you fill your carto using your preferred method, place a rag or tissue over the mouth end of the carto and blow gently through the battery end until the gurgling stops. Check the battery end for any excess juice and wipe clean if needed.

I would not use the condom method for filling auto batteries as it gets juice all over the threads and makes it difficult to clean. Either use the drip or syringe fill method.

The drip method:

e-Smokey Treats Cartomizer filling instructions for the JOYE 510 and JOYE eGo electronic cigarette - YouTube

The syringe method:

(This video has a super long intro, but it's the method I use)

Syringe Method for Refilling KR808 Cartomizers - YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread