Can I bring vape gear to Mexico?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmilingWolf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2015
I know y'all are the experts.

My husband and I are planning a trip to Cancun this fall. We're flying Delta. I know that Delta allows vape gear in carry on luggage.

However, I do not know if we are allowed to have our gear once we arrive at the airport in Mexico and/or return home from Mexico. I cannot find a definitive answer online.

Do any forum members know the answer? Has anyone traveled to Mexico recently, and what was your experience?

Btw: Preemptively stressing about this. My husband and I have been cigarette free for many years now, but we have never gone without vaping for any period of time.

Thank you!

Reactions: Superuser187

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yeah... Mexico has some Conflicting Policies when it comes to e-Cigarettes.

• Mexico: Mexico is an unusual case because the importation of vaping products into Mexico is banned by Presidential decree. However, the Mexican Supreme Court has ruled that the ban is unconstitutional. You may have difficulty bringing your vape gear into Mexico, but vape shops do exist in the major Mexican cities. Be prepared, however, that the shops may be a little hard to find because they typically don’t advertise openly.
If You’re Traveling to Latin America, Here’s What You Need to Know if You Vape | Sounds and Colours

Not sure what to tell you? What does you Airline/Hotel say?

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Query: Are you willing to risk a Mexican jail based upon the opinions found on an internet forum? Who has the power in Mexico? Is it the President or is it the Court? How many police does the President command? How many police does the Court command? Will either protect you?

To each their own but for myself, I would not enter the country with vaping supplies based upon whatever you learn here. Risk vs benefit, your call.

• Agree
Reactions: Coyote628

SmilingWolf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2015
Right. It would seem there would be more clear, published information.

The importation of vaping products is banned except that ban was ruled unconstitutional. Then I've read articles that the actual use of vaping products in Mexico is not banned.

The airline (Delta) allows ecig supplies in carry on. The smoking policy at the hotel doesn't speak to ecig at all, only the word "smoking". Smoking is prohibited in rooms and enclosed restaurants but allowed in outdoor spaces, room terraces, etc.

It's all over the place.

Reactions: FranC

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Right. It would seem there would be more clear, published information.

The importation of vaping products is banned except that ban was ruled unconstitutional. Then I've read articles that the actual use of vaping products in Mexico is not banned.

The airline (Delta) allows ecig supplies in carry on. The smoking policy at the hotel doesn't speak to ecig at all, only the word "smoking". Smoking is prohibited in rooms and enclosed restaurants but allowed in outdoor spaces, room terraces, etc.

It's all over the place.

We have had forum members here that live in Mexico, but one I'm thinking of hasn't posted in some time. (Once many people are set and settled they stop posting) As a result, to my knowledge vaping there isn't illegal...

I don't think bringing your personal vape gear into Mexico to use while vacationing there is considered importing... your intent isn't to sell it.

Not only that but it's not like hard drugs or something, even if it was slightly iffy they aren't going to be locking up their vacationers for NRT's, or through word of mouth they'd put at risk a large resource - the tourism industry.

I'd be prepared with a bribe or two just in case and wouldn't bring high dollar gear in case of confiscation but other than that I wouldn't worry much about it.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Do any forum members know the answer? Has anyone traveled to Mexico recently, and what was your experience?
    I've brought my gear to Mexico City, Cancun and (most recently, a year ago) Oaxaca. I always brought just what I needed and didn't mind loosing. Never had a problem if packed according to regulation. My beater gear would never be considered as imports for sale. As a precaution, everything was disassembled and put in separate areas of my carry on. I did have one intact unit in a side pocket for immediate use during layovers and to use once outside the airports.

Plus, after doing all my initial research, I've never heard of any problems with vacationers. The only place I never considered bringing my gear was to Thailand.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I've brought my gear to Mexico City, Cancun and (most recently, a year ago) Oaxaca. I always brought just what I needed and didn't mind loosing. Never had a problem if packed according to regulation. My beater gear would never be considered as imports for sale. As a precaution, everything was disassembled and put in separate areas of my carry on. I did have one intact unit in a side pocket for immediate use during layovers and to use once outside the airports.

Plus, after doing all my initial research, I've never heard of any problems with vacationers. The only place I never considered bringing my gear was to Thailand.

That is how I would approach it if I was Traveling to Mexico.

Take just what you need. Make sure it is in Used Condition. Use e-Liquid Bottles that have Retail Labels on them. Pack it to the Letter of the Law.

Once I got settled in, I would sit at the Bar and hit the Hotel Bartender with a Good Tip. Then after some small talk, casually ask him where e-Cigarettes/e-Liquids can be bought as a just-in-case. And be sure to have your City Map in your pocket when you do.

One of my Key Rules when traveling in Mexico is Don't Ever do Anything that makes you Stand-Out. That would be Especially applied to using an e-Cigarette when I'm out n' about.

Last edited:

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    One of my Key Rules when traveling in Mexico is Don't Ever do Anything that makes you Stand-Out.
    Yeah. That's why I don't wear shorts unless I'm at the beach :lol:.

All of my juices were in unlabeled plastic diy bottles, but fit in my "Freedom Bag". If you google map Cancun, last time I looked, there were plenty of vape shops around.

IMG_1911.PNG

Last edited:

Javichu

Account closed on request
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2020
    Spain
    I know y'all are the experts.

My husband and I are planning a trip to Cancun this fall. We're flying Delta. I know that Delta allows vape gear in carry on luggage.

However, I do not know if we are allowed to have our gear once we arrive at the airport in Mexico and/or return home from Mexico. I cannot find a definitive answer online.

Btw: Preemptively stressing about this. My husband and I have been cigarette free for many years now, but we have never gone without vaping for any period of time.

Thank you!

Since Spanish is my native language (born and living in Spain) decided to look into to see if i could clear it up for you.

Found the Article 16 that speaks about this:

VI. Comerciar, importar, vender, distribuir, exhibir, promocionar o producir cigarros electrónicos o cualquier objeto que no sea un producto del tabaco, que contenga alguno de los elementos de la marca o cualquier tipo de diseño o señal auditiva que lo identifique con productos del tabaco.

Commerce,import,sell,distribution,exhibition,promote or produce electronic cigarettes or any other ''non tobacco'' product that contains some of the elements of the brand or design or auditory signal that identifies it as a ''tobacco product''

Rules for transporting the vaping products on your trip there are the same as you would usually do when you travel somewhere else.
    Only thing is that everyone of your vaping products (mod,batteries,atomizer and e-liquids) must out of the box.
    If they were in unopened boxes that could lead them to think that their purpose is for importing or selling.

Smoking law in Mexico is basically what you need to follow when it comes to vaping:

La ley antitabaco de México entró en vigor el 1 de julio del 2009. En ella, la Comisión Federal para la Protección contra Riesgos Sanitarios (Cofepris) de la Secretaría de Salud aseguró, en un comunicado, que queda prohibido fumar en espacios públicos cerrados: edificios públicos (federales, estatales y municipales), restaurantes, bares y discotecas.

The antitabaco mexican law came into force the 1st of july of 2009.
    In it the Federal Commission of health risks of the health secretary dictated that it is prohibited to smoke in close public spaces: public buildings (federal,estate and municipal),restaurants,bars and discos.
    (restaurants and bars with terrace is ok to smoke,in your case vape).

Haven't really traveled since i started vaping so not sure what rules they have for it,you probably know but in case you don't just visit the website of your airline and you should be ok.

But rest assured you can't get a fine or arrested for vaping.

SmilingWolf

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Thanks so much! I appreciate the extra digging-for-information effort, everyone! (and the map with vape shops helps calm my nerves).

I also checked a number of articles referencing Mexico customs information. Although it speaks specifically to the allowable amounts of tobacco that can be brought back and forth across the border, there's no mention of e cigarettes as either allowable or prohibited ... the info is just not there.

We wouldn't want to risk losing any of our current vape gear so we will purchase some temporary gear for the trip that is more disposable, if push comes to shove. As far as juice, I only have unlabeled DIY bottles because I make my own.

I'll make sure that nothing is housed in it's original packaging and disassembled for transport so there's no indication that I plan to sell it. Then we'll cross our fingers.

Mexico is a popular destination vacation spot. The policies for tobacco smokers are clear (and somewhat lenient, it would seem), but there's an overall absence of information for vapers.

Javichu

Account closed on request
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2020
    Spain
    I'll make sure that nothing is housed in it's original packaging and disassembled for transport so there's no indication that I plan to sell it. Then we'll cross our fingers.

This right here is the most important thing,don't have anything new and boxed with its cellophane waiting to be torn up.
    As long as it is ''boxless'' you are going to be ok,just follow the rules imposed by the airline when traveling with vape gear.

If unsure of where to vape or not just follow the rules i posted before about smoking,if you follow those rules there shouldn't be any problem.

In any case if a cop asks you for a ''mordida'' when vaping it might be time to give him some dollars so he goes away.
    Mordida is basically what they call a bribe,learn the word and how it sounds so you know if they ever say it to you.

Mordida (Mexico) - Global Informality Project

In the link above i found this:

¿no habrá otra manera?’ (‘Is there no other way?’) or ‘¿cómo nos podemos arreglar?’ (‘How can we reach an arrangement?’). At which point usually an amount is mentioned.

Parts that i maked in bold will take you 5 minutes to learn and in my honest opinion it is something you should really learn,if it comes up well you can always use them phrases to get you out of a pickle.

P.S: I do need a holiday so i offer my services as a translator,just send me a plane ticket and cover my expenses (hotel and food) and i will be available 24/7 for all your Spanish to English and English to Spanish needs :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    For real. On my three separate trips to Mexico with my gear, I've never had any hint of a problem with customs or the police. I'll have to admit, the one time I felt in peril is when I got the stink eye from a customs agent going into Oaxaca. That was only because he noticed me messing with my bag before placing it on the belt before inspection. I got the green light anyway.

The only time you'll get into a situation where any sort of bribe transaction will occur will be well outside of any tourist areas, and those usually deal with vehicle violations.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I haven't been to Mexico in a Long Time. But that is how I saw it then. And people I know who have been More Recently say the same.

Inside Tourist Destination, things are pretty Low Key. Because Tourism is what brings in the Dollars. So as long as you aren't Doing something your shouldn't, like being Drunk n' Stupid/Loud and or getting into a Fight, things are pretty Relaxed.

If you Venture more off the Beaten Paths, then yeah, you can run into things. Like smacuser said, most involving driving.

I learned Very Quickly that the Policia and Federales understand More English than they will usually let on to. So watch what you say when around them. Especially about the amount of Money you have on hand. And Never say the actual word "Bribe".

Asking... ¿Puedo pagar la multa ahora? will usually get you out of Most things they say you did.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread