Not open for further replies.

Leothwyn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
N. California
www.ci-studios.com
So, I made a basic PT with a USB cord, a switch, and a 510 connector. I'm reluctant to plug it into any of my PCs, and it turns out that everything else that I have is under powered (500 ma). So, eventually I'll need to pick up an adapter or hub that has enough power.

Until I do that, I was wondering if I could just make a PT with one of the wall warts in my pack-rat collection. Most of them don't seem like they'd work, but I do have an old phone charger that's 5V/1amp. Is that enough? It's not a USB charger, just a wall wart. Is it alright to just wire one of those up (if 1 amp is enough)?

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Sure, the D-Links are 5V@2.5A (or more some times).

Actual vaping voltage will be determined by the ohm's of the atty/carto and the current available, although it will never be higher than 5V with a 5V supply.

Use this for an estimate.

Online Conversion - Ohm's Law Calculator

Note in the realworld actual voltage will always be lower.

Leothwyn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
N. California
www.ci-studios.com
I just made a VV 'Plug-N-vape' PT. Put a dc jack in the PT and plug in a 6V/2A adapter. Works great.

Thanks, that's good to hear. That sounds cool... so you plug in different adapters for the VV? I was checking out a universal adapter in a store that had a dial that went from 3V to 12V. Seems like that would be a cool PT. It was sort of expensive, but I'm sure I could find one cheaper online.

After more searching through my junk, I found that I have an old 5v/2.5A adapter. I assume that I could bypass the DC jack in the PT and just cut the end of the adapter and solder the wires in?

Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
... I was checking out a universal adapter in a store that had a dial that went from 3V to 12V. Seems like that would be a cool PT. It was sort of expensive, but I'm sure I could find one cheaper online.

After more searching through my junk, I found that I have an old 5v/2.5A adapter. I assume that I could bypass the DC jack in the PT and just cut the end of the adapter and solder the wires in?
Those universal adapters are actually pretty useless and they really can't supply the current we need.

I assume that I could bypass the DC jack in the PT and just cut the end of the adapter and solder the wires in?
By far the best way to go. Anything between the power supply and the atty will add additional resistance, hence lowering the actual vaping voltage. Do those cheap 2000mAh adapters you see actually get 2000mAh to the atty using those cheap Chinese PTs? No. As I've often stated real loaded volts tests at the atty will show they don't. If you are building a PT using some long flimsy USB cable, with thread like power wires, from a mouse ain't cutting it, unless a lower voltage is wanted.

Here's one of my first mods. Straight through hard-wired to the switch/connector.

PT_2W.JPG

I've also built USB PTs. This one has a USB cable with 22 gauge power wires.

PT_new.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread