Can I Powder Coat a SS Goon RDA Cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IvanTX313

Jan 12, 2023
So I have a Co worker that has a goon that I've been after only its in Stainless Steal and need it in Black.

My Question is, can SS be powder coated.

Sure I can rattle can or have it cerakoted only I don't like the fact that they easily get chipped or scratched.

But for the most part I think it'll be sand blasted and then dunked in that acid stuff they use to strip any coatings, and then powder coat it.

Will there be any fitting issues once it's done?

Not sure if there are other options but I'd appreciate if any of you can guide me on this.

Reactions: TARTARA

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    Stainless Steel can definitely be powder coated. Any metal that conducts electricity can be powder coated.
    I honestly do believe that a cerakote finish will far outlast a powder coating although both are very durable.
    The sandblasting process won't affect the fitting of the Goon at all :thumb:

Tor R

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 4, 2020
    Mandal, Norway
    www.kinnheia.com
    I think perhaps what many people forget is that the pre-processing of the surfaces must be rough enough to get enough adhesion as we call it.
    Too fine/smooth surface = flaking.

But it all depends on what spec you have for the paint / cheracote / dlc coating.

My experience with this is mostly through the year I was car painter & industrial painter

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    So I have a Co worker that has a goon that I've been after only its in Stainless Steal and need it in Black.

My Question is, can SS be powder coated.

Sure I can rattle can or have it cerakoted only I don't like the fact that they easily get chipped or scratched.

But for the most part I think it'll be sand blasted and then dunked in that acid stuff they use to strip any coatings, and then powder coat it.

Will there be any fitting issues once it's done?

Not sure if there are other options but I'd appreciate if any of you can guide me on this.

Check Out Black Oxide surface finishes for SS.

The Problem is most Plating Houses don't want to deal with One-Off Parts for Hobbiest. But Call around. You might find someone local who would.

Reactions: IvanTX313

IvanTX313

Jan 12, 2023
    Stainless Steel can definitely be powder coated. Any metal that conducts electricity can be powder coated.
    I honestly do believe that a cerakote finish will far outlast a powder coating although both are very durable.
    The sandblasting process won't affect the fitting of the Goon at all :thumb:
    Thanks for the info, could you expand a bit on the durability of cerakote?
    Only reason I considered powder coating is from experience of seeing a bunch of guys with their rifles cerakoted and the paint being marked or chipped off easily. But I'd love to know more. Really just looking for the best and longest outcome.
    Thanks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread