Can I ruin my atty by...

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarmeetsjake

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2011
Amory, MS
More advanced model e-cigs probably don't have this problem, but when I vape 3 or 4 large hits simultaneously on my nicstick, the atomizer gets really hot. I understand that it's supposed to get hot, but it gets REALLY hot. Should I let it cool off before taking another hit, or is it safe? It's all I have until my riva comes in. Coincidently, I just got a new e-liquid that I LOVE and I can't stop vaping! But I don't wanna ruin my atty before my riva comes in either. I'd rather not do without >.>

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
If you chain vape it's going to get hot, doesn't matter what kind it is, that's what it's supposed to do. Some attys/carto designs might hide that better from the outer housing than others but they get hot, especially LR.

Best things you can do is keep it wet, take a little time in between drags and don't hold the button down to long during a drag. If you stick to this best you can your attys/cartos will last much longer.

SubOnAux24

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2010
Valley of the Sun
Hey GMJ.
There is just a few "laws" you need to wrap your head around here. This basic calculator Online Conversion - Ohm's Law Calculator will give you your answers to all of your questions here. OK, you have a nicstick, which gets hot right ? Let's say the batt is 280 milliamp and your atty is 2.5 ohm right ? Your power is measured in WATTS, right ? So... lets do math.
Plug in your 3.4 volt nicstick ( educated guess) and 2.5 ohms (atomizer educated guess) and your total power is......... 4.6 watts for your nicstick. This makes alot of sense for your overheating the atomizer.
NOW... Lets take your new RIVA 510 at 3.7 volts and a 2.2 ohm atty...your power will increase to..6.2 WATTS That is the difference between your current nicstick and the new RIVA you have ordered.
The difference will be much greater and to your satisfaction.
Just remember...the ohms "LAW" will be your guide to your "WATTS" power hit.
This is simple stuff here my friend with this calculator. Just remember, WATTS is your POWER. (Think light bulb).

Hope this explained why your atomizer is getting overly hot. :)
Vape On !!

P.S. If you go with a 2.0 atty/carto, your power will increase to 6.845 WATTS and your vape will be at almost a perfect sweet 10 for your RIVA.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Yes........

Cleaning it frequently will help keep performance up and reduce over-vaping the coil. It's a catch-22. People don't know when to clean them (or even just blow them out twice a day) because they're new to e-cigs, so the vaping performance drops. They vape harder to compensate. Then they fry the coil. Next comes a post about "I'm an atty killer and I don't know why....."

Last edited:

Coil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2011
SO. CAL
Yes........

Cleaning it frequently will help keep performance up and reduce over-vaping the coil.

Heck yeah. I've been rockin two standard 510 attys for a month now and they're still going strong from keeping em clean. Plus anytime I've over heated my atty or just chain vaped a juice i lose the flavor and can't really appreciate it as much.

JustaGuy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Beyond The Sea
Yes you can overheat & pop your atty. Clean the attys often, juice tastes better and attys last longer. I rotate 5 attys and dry burn 3 a day, have not lost one since I began vaping (knock on wood). There is maintenance. When you get your Riva, be even more careful. I find the bigger batts can overheat attys in a hurry, feels a lot more powerful than the minis.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I chain-vape, and I have several setups (batteries plus cartomizers) going at any one time, each filled with a different flavor. Then I switch off to the next one in the line when a cartomizer gets warm. Rotating like this not only keeps the attys in the cartomizers reasonably cool, but the flavor switchoff is nice.

guitarmeetsjake

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2011
Amory, MS
I chain-vape, and I have several setups (batteries plus cartomizers) going at any one time, each filled with a different flavor. Then I switch off to the next one in the line when a cartomizer gets warm. Rotating like this not only keeps the attys in the cartomizers reasonably cool, but the flavor switchoff is nice.
Wow, this is a very simple idea that never occured to me.. I can have both my rivas going at once, if I still want to chain vape without the dripping. I'll just need to order another cone. Thanks for the tip x)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread