Can I switch from DTL to MTL just by switching to another drip tip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rytis Laurinaitis

Aug 3, 2021
Hi, I have Voopoo Drag 2 regulated mod, I've got an rda (apocalypse gen 2), I'm also planning to buy an RTA, both are dual coil. Anyway, I wanna know if it's possible for me to achieve MTL just by switching to another drip tip? My rda is designed for 810 drip tips, but with a 810>510 drip tip adapter, I could add these 510 MTL drip tips on my rda. I've been thinking of adjusting the airflow to minimum, and also adding a really tight drip tip. Such as these.
upload_2021-8-24_12-30-22.png
upload_2021-8-24_12-30-37.png

Reactions: AngeNZ

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    MTL & DTL (Mouth To Lung & Direct To Lung) are inhalation techniques and not really associated with whatever type of drip tip is being used, although of course the different sizes of a drip tip will affect the 'end result'. This isn't really a New Member forum question and should've been posted in a different forum here.

• Agree
    Reactions: YoursTruli

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    I've been thinking of adjusting the airflow to minimum, and also adding a really tight drip tip. Such as these.

I'd say go ahead and try those 2 things. There's no way to know if the combination will give you a satisfactory MTL vape, until you actually try it.

When I want to try a friend's set-up (who vapes DTL), to taste a new DIY eliquid he has in it...I just swap out his big honking 810 drip tip for 1 of my preferred 510 ones and adjust his nearly wide open airflow to very little. Works for me to try the eliquid.

Rytis Laurinaitis

Aug 3, 2021
    MTL & DTL (Mouth To Lung & Direct To Lung) are inhalation techniques and not really associated with whatever type of drip tip is being used, although of course the different sizes of a drip tip will affect the 'end result'. This isn't really a New Member forum question and should've been posted in a different forum here.
    Hm I see I see, I thought those would for sure give me an MTL vape, well thanks, and yea sure I'll keep that in mind

Rytis Laurinaitis

Aug 3, 2021
    I'd say go ahead and try those 2 things. There's no way to know if the combination will give you a satisfactory MTL vape, until you actually try it.

When I want to try a friend's set-up (who vapes DTL), to taste a new DIY eliquid he has in it...I just swap out his big honking 810 drip tip for 1 of my preferred 510 ones and adjust his nearly wide open airflow to very little. Works for me to try the eliquid.
    Sure, does that give you way more flavor?

Reactions: JCinFLA

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    Sure, does that give you way more flavor?

Well, it accomplishes 2 things for me: 1) Replacing the drip tip means I don't feel like I'm sucking on the end of a garden hose, and 2) I get a more concentrated flow of vapor on my tongue.

However, since I don't inhale my vapor to my lungs...I'm not a DTL vaper nor a MTL vaper either. Since I started vaping in Nov. 2013...I bring the vapor in to the back of my throat, hold it there for a second or 2, and then exhale it through my mouth and/or nose. Doing that exposes my taste buds to the flavor for a slightly longer period of time. I have no problem getting lots of flavor and my needed nicotine that way. There have been more people over the last few years switching to vape that way, too.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    All you can do is try it to see if you like it. Drip tips can ultimately change the quality and experience of the vape as well as the functionality all around, for better or for worse. For instance, it's every common for a long drip tip to cool the vape down before it gets to your mouth and also reduce the flavor compared to the original drip tip on a given device or just another shorter drip tip. In the end, what matters is how you like it, but you'll never know until you try it.

As far as turning an RDL device into MTL by changing the driptip, yes, it can be possible if you also tighten the airflow on the atty. However you might never be able to get the draw as tight as you want it, depending om the atty. Again, you just have to try it.

Rytis Laurinaitis

Aug 3, 2021
    All you can do is try it to see if you like it. Drip tips can ultimately change the quality and experience of the vape as well as the functionality all around, for better or for worse. For instance, it's every common for a long drip tip to cool the vape down before it gets to your mouth and also reduce the flavor compared to the original drip tip on a given device or just another shorter drip tip. In the end, what matters is how you like it, but you'll never know until you try it.

As far as turning an RDL device into MTL by changing the driptip, yes, it can be possible if you also tighten the airflow on the atty. However you might never be able to get the draw as tight as you want it, depending om the atty. Again, you just have to try it.
    Gotcha, so basically I've got to try it out and see how it goes for me. Yup we all have different tastes. Guess I had my expectations raised a bit too high. I wanted to get that flavor like on disposable mods or also called puff bars, the flavor is so concentrated and so clean. I thought it's so because it's an MTL vape, a really tight vape, but apparenly not, MTL vaping doesn't increase the flavor all that much, according to what I've read so far, apparently the manufacturers use higher concentration flavors in their e-liquids in the disposable vapes. So yea, I guess I can't replicate that disposable vape flavor with a box mod

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    U can do it but u wont get a proper mtl experience cause most likely your rda is big even if its one of the small double coil ones that are on the market....
    U xan try ofc ans if u can get it as tight u want ans u dont mind the possible loss of flavour from the single coil....
    U never know maybe u like it

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    U can do it but u wont get a proper mtl experience cause most likely your rda is big even if its one of the small double coil ones that are on the market....
    I agree (and especially with a RDA) There are some nice smaller single coil RDAs you might check out (right now I'm mostly using "drop-in" coil tanks and RTAs... both MTL and restricted DL) Overall, I like "loose" MTL and "restricted" DL but changing a drip tip isn't the solution. I don't know if you can still find one, but one good option might be the Vapefly Galaxies RDTA:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    Hmm that makes sense, yea I thought a tighter drip tip would get you a more concentrated flow of vapor but I wonder if that same flow of vapor gives you more flavor, oh well, I'll test that out myself.

I've always used a 510 drip tip and vaped the way I do. So I can't tell you if it gives me more flavor or not, because I haven't vaped any other way, to compare it to. I do consistently get really good-great flavor from my DIY eliquids though. It doesn't matter if I'm using a tank with a drop-in coil, an RTA, or an RDA. I do find that when using various RTAs, the shape and size of the bell (at the bottom of the chimney) does make a difference in the strength of flavor I get from it. That may not be true for everyone though.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Even if you find your solution, you may find out (later on) that you like restricted DL and even a dual coil RDA can be built with simple lower wattage coils (and airflow closed down)
    If it's just flavor you are chasing, there are many other variables involved with that. Be patient... many good people here to help you find what you want/need. I have had great flavor with MTL and RDL. Coils, wicking, juice, wattage, airflow... all affect flavor. Even though some people say you need fancy exotic coils for flavor, I had a great experience with my first RTA and a simple round wire coil I made myself. Some dual coil RDAs (but not most) can be built single coil. RTAs are harder to learn on (mostly the wicking is so critical) but I do love them. Hang out, ask questions and hope you enjoy ECF forums. Peace out. Vape on!

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    I wanna know if it's possible for me to achieve MTL
    Looks like I welcomed you before. Note that you are limited to the number of post in this forum.
    re: New Members - "How many posts do I need to..."
    In the future, you might want to re post in the ECF forum most closely representing your subject/question. Suggest re posting in General Vaping Discussion and Chat:
    General Vaping Discussion
    Often times,you may receive more knowledgeable/germane/extensive information from the membership in the above/appropriate forums.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread