Can I use 34 gauge Kanthal to rebuild coils for a Protank 2/Protank 2 mini?

Status
Not open for further replies.

*deleon517*

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
s. florida
you can but I would suggest 32 gauge. Depending on what you wrap on will determine your # of wraps. MY wife likes her stuff wrapped on a 1/16th drill bit with 7 or so wraps. You could simple see what fits inside of the slots of the head(the one's that the wicks stick out of) wrap on that and then fed your wick into the coils before installing.

once you know the diameter of the coils and what resistance you are shooting for(more then likely above 1.5 with the batteries you have) we will be able to better tell you how many wraps to get as close to that resistance as possible.

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Toronto
Yes, it will work, but resistance will be higher compared to 32 or 30 gauge.

Having said that, I've got some 36 gauge that came with an RBA, and when I tried, the resistance wasn't nearly as I high as I thought it might be. Thinner Kanthol lights up faster, too. If you've already got it, certainly worth a try.

-- Glenn

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
It's up to you if you want to boil it. Some do & some don't. I don't boil mine.

Part of the reason people use lower gauge wire is because the coil will retain its shape better with the thicker wire. The 34 gauge will be very thin. It will be fine to build your coil using this gauge but it will be a bit more delicate when rewicking than something built with a lower gauge wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread