Can I use Temperature Control Mode with Aspire Mini-Triton Clapton Coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrgoe

Nov 20, 2016
Calgary Alberta Canada
Hello everyone, today is my 10 month birthday off cigarettes.It was nice to have a Solar Eclipse to celebrate it. Here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada we only seen about 75%, but it was still pretty cool. Last Friday I received my Ijoy Elf tank from fasttech. This excellent tank puts the Aspire Nautilus 2 tank to shame. And I can use all my Aspire coils in it. Lately I have been hearing a lot of negative things about vaping at high temperatures and I wonder if I could use Temperature Control Mode using Aspire Mini-Triton Clapton coils. I use Smock mods (ALIEN & AL85) and vape at 14 Watts. Would it even be worth while?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
At 14 watts I'd say you have no issues. Remember as long as a coil has juice it CANNOT get much hotter than the boiling point of the juice. The highest boiling point liquid used in juice is water. Most of the rest are much much lower. This means even if you were vaping a pure water juice (which no one does) until the coil dries out your coil can't get much over 100c

Temp control only works with certain kinds of wire, and each mod has to have settings in it for that type of wire. Stainless steel is the latest of the types, and the only thing I personally have seen used in TC drop in coils. IF the coil cartridge you are talking about is coiled with stainless you have a shot.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Aspire's US partner website says the 1.8Ω Clapton Mini Triton coils are Kanthal wire, so the answer is no. Wattage mode only, please. As to worthwhile... you'll have to make the call. I have tried it and don't like TC much; others rave about it. Bear in mind one you set TC mode, you lose the ability to set wattage, save maximum watts. The mod decided what wattage to use to make the required temp. Aspire does make a TC capable coil for your tank, but it uses Ni200 wire, which I do not recommend. AFAIK, there is no stainless or Ti wire coils for your machine. Welcome to the board and well done on 10 months.

Reactions: r77r7r

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
At 14 watts I'd say you have no issues. Remember as long as a coil has juice it CANNOT get much hotter than the boiling point of the juice. The highest boiling point liquid used in juice is water. Most of the rest are much much lower. This means even if you were vaping a pure water juice (which no one does) until the coil dries out your coil can't get much over 100c

Temp control only works with certain kinds of wire, and each mod has to have settings in it for that type of wire. Stainless steel is the latest of the types, and the only thing I personally have seen used in TC drop in coils. IF the coil cartridge you are talking about is coiled with stainless you have a shot.
Vg has a boiling point of 290℃, pg a boiling point of 188℃. Depending on the tank construction, wicking etc 14w could be high enough to produce dangerous chemicals. It'll still be a lot safer than smoking though.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Vg has a boiling point of 290℃, pg a boiling point of 188℃. Depending on the tank construction, wicking etc 14w could be high enough to produce dangerous chemicals. It'll still be a lot safer than smoking though.

this is not my understanding. I think you have your Cs and Fs mixed up. Or one of us does. My information was that VG boiled well below the temperature of water. Before ecigs It was the classic ingredient in fog machines of the sort used by rock bands. The whole point was that the low boiling point was safer than filling a room with steam.
checking the wikipaedia page I see where the 290c is coming fom but they also list the melting point as 64f. This means ejuice should turn solid on a mildly cold day, which it doesn't.
Something ain't right.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
this is not my understanding. I think you have your Cs and Fs mixed up. Or one of us does. My information was that VG boiled well below the temperature of water. Before ecigs It was the classic ingredient in fog machines of the sort used by rock bands. The whole point was that the low boiling point was safer than filling a room with steam.
checking the wikipaedia page I see where the 290c is coming fom but they also list the melting point as 64f. This means ejuice should turn solid on a mildly cold day, which it doesn't.
Something ain't right.
I don't have my ℃ and ℉ mixed up. Chemistry, beats out guessing.

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

Unfortunately, that is incorrect. Direct measurements with a thermocouple show much higher temperatures. It can get well above 500F (260C) with even less than 10W applied Actual temperatures inside a Nautilus atty | E-Cigarette Forum

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Unfortunately, that is incorrect. Direct measurements with a thermocouple show much higher temperatures. It can get well above 500F (260C) with even less than 10W applied Actual temperatures inside a Nautilus atty | E-Cigarette Forum
Hmm. Depressing news indeed. I guess I have to quit vaping. He's measuring the temp using a sewing needle attached to a thermocouple. It's possible the needle would be the lowest resistance piece of metal in there and is acting as the coil itself for one. Also apparently ejuice is a relatively lousy evaporative coolant. Not what I would expect. Anyone else timed a tootle puff btw? 43 seconds is the better part of a minute. That sounds downright impressive. I certainly can't do that with my tongue. Be difficult to even DL.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I don't have my ℃ and ℉ mixed up. Chemistry, beats out guessing.

Don't you mean wikipaedia? Unless you got you data elsewhere. Perhaps I'm doing the standard addict's resist the facts act. It pisses me off that we're reduced to some dude in his basement with sewing equipment to get our data.

Reactions: SteveS45

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Hmm. Depressing news indeed. I guess I have to quit vaping. He's measuring the temp using a sewing needle attached to a thermocouple. It's possible the needle would be the lowest resistance piece of metal in there and is acting as the coil itself for one. Also apparently ejuice is a relatively lousy evaporative coolant. Not what I would expect. Anyone else timed a tootle puff btw? 43 seconds is the better part of a minute. That sounds downright impressive. I certainly can't do that with my tongue. Be difficult to even DL.

To clarify, he used a sewing needle to make a space to allow the thermocouple be placed within the coil right next to the wire. The 43 seconds is a typo. I'm sure he meant 4.3 seconds. I'll let him know about that. There's an example graph as well as a spreadsheet of results that shows he data collected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread