Can quitting smoking lead to nasal/sinus congestion later on? Smokers Rhinitus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellery

Apr 7, 2016
Sorry for a long post, but here goes...

I first quit smoking about 5 years ago. After about 4 months, I had severe nasal congestion so I went to see an ENT. He diagnosed a deviated septum and enlarged turbinates. I had a septoplasty and submucosal resectioning of the turbinates. My breathing was better afterwards as I basically had my nose "roto-rootered". 6 months later, I started smoking again (1/2 pack per day of American Spirit lights)... Never had any severe breathing problems but I did have the constant runny nose that I would blow before bed. Finally decided to quit smoking again 6 months ago. Like clockwork, 4 months later, I couldn't breathe through my nose at night. So...here is what I have tried for the last 2 months.

--Fluticasone 2 sprays daily in each nostril.
--sudafed (the real stuff..not the PE) 60mg 4x daily
--mucinex 1200mg daily as the mucous is now thick and sticky
--Allegra in the daytime
--Benadryl at night
--neilmed sinus rinse daily
--Max-air nose cones
--Low carb (keto) diet. Great for losing weight btw!
--Drink lots of water.
--No alcohol/drugs
--Exercise 3-5 times a week so I'm pretty fit for 47 years old.
--3 separate courses of antibiotics to no avail.
--HEPA air filter in bedroom (and another in living room)
--Humidifier in bedroom

The only thing that brings any relief is afrin which I am using every other day to prevent "rebound" but sleeping every day doesn't cut it and it is only a temporary solution.

Have seen the ENT and he thought that it would clear up with the final 2 week course. I asked him if it was possible that quitting smoking has led my sinuses to overreact and he just kinda blew it off, however, last night, I googled my situation and came across a post from 7 years ago on a medhelp forum where the poster stated that his nasal congestion started 4 months after quitting smoking and 43 replies over the last 6 years stating that they had the same issue...but no follow up posts with any resolution stated.

The next option is another surgery. The ENT has mentioned coblation of the turbinates and balloon sinuplasty to open up the sinuses. But if this is something that heals with time (I don't have muchhope yet from what I have read online)

Going back to smoking isn't an option because that will just hurt me more in the long run....or will it? Some people mentioned going back to smoking and their problem was solved...until there is a more serious problem such as emphysema cancer etc.

One last thing...the ENT did a CT scan of the nose/sinus and it just showed a little inflammation. No polyps or any other obstructions. The symptoms are MUCH worse at night.

Is this a common issue with people who have quit smoking? Is there any hope for those of us with this issue? I read that after quitting smoking that the sinuses can "hypertrophy".

I'm hoping that member Alisa1970 will respond as her post is what prompted me to join the forum to ask my question. Forgive me if I have intruded.

Respectfully yours,

Ellery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread