Can somebody answer some basic questions about my new Creed RTA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pisquilah

Jul 20, 2021
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find these basic infos easily anywhere, so here it goes:
  1. My top cap and tank are extremely tight, so I have a hard time everytime I need to pop it open, be it for adding more juice or to fiddle with the build inside the atomizer. Is there any way to lubricate it or something so that it'll slide open more easily?
  2. I've been using the Gen S kit atomizer, with coilheads, and I've noticed a huge difference in the ramp up time when switching through to my new Creed rta. Now everytime I take a puff, it starts with almost no flavor and suddenly it gets too hot for me to vape. I can't seem to find a sweet spot. Tried higher wattages but it just gets really hot really fast. Back to the coilheads, I can drag for like 5 seconds without a hassle. Now it's just too intense or not intense at all. Like it's 0 to 30% power in 10 seconds and then 30 to 100% in 1 second.
  3. I'm really new to this, so I would appreciate any suggestions on coils/builds. I'm using dual coils on a Gen S mod, set on pulse mode, trying to vape at 65 - 80W.

Reactions: Superuser187

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find these basic infos easily anywhere, so here it goes:
  1. My top cap and tank are extremely tight, so I have a hard time everytime I need to pop it open, be it for adding more juice or to fiddle with the build inside the atomizer. Is there any way to lubricate it or something so that it'll slide open more easily?
  2. I've been using the Gen S kit atomizer, with coilheads, and I've noticed a huge difference in the ramp up time when switching through to my new Creed RTA. Now everytime I take a puff, it starts with almost no flavor and suddenly it gets too hot for me to vape. I can't seem to find a sweet spot. Tried higher wattages but it just gets really hot really fast. Back to the coilheads, I can drag for like 5 seconds without a hassle. Now it's just too intense or not intense at all. Like it's 0 to 30% power in 10 seconds and then 30 to 100% in 1 second.
  3. I'm really new to this, so I would appreciate any suggestions on coils/builds. I'm using dual coils on a Gen S mod, set on pulse mode, trying to vape at 65 - 80W.

Hi Pisquilah. Welcome to the ECF.

I had the Same Problem with my GEAR RTA Top Cap. It was Hard to get off without the Entire Top Section and Glass unscrewing from the Base.

Turns out that I was just Screwing the Top Cap on Too Tight. So try putting a light Layer of Pure VG (or your Least Flavored/Sweetened e-Liquid) on the Threads and O-ring and just put the Top Cap on "Finger Tight".

As for those Coil Heads having little flavor and then Too Hot... Check to see if your Mod has a "Pre-Heat" function. That can Help to bring the Coil(s) up quickly. But then Tapers Off to your Selected Wattage.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Superuser187

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
  2. I've been using the Gen S kit atomizer, with coilheads, and I've noticed a huge difference in the ramp up time when switching through to my new Creed RTA. Now everytime I take a puff, it starts with almost no flavor and suddenly it gets too hot for me to vape. I can't seem to find a sweet spot. Tried higher wattages but it just gets really hot really fast. Back to the coilheads, I can drag for like 5 seconds without a hassle. Now it's just too intense or not intense at all. Like it's 0 to 30% power in 10 seconds and then 30 to 100% in 1 second.

When u were using the gen s with coilheads u most likely were using mesh coils....mesh coils heat up extremely fast and usually don't produce so much heat...

I don't know why coils u use on your rta Are u using any huge thick coils ??? What are the specs of the coils do u know? I assume it's fused claptons maybe they were included in the package with the rta...

I think you are not used to the ramp up time of the coils cause u are used to mesh..
U could try open the airflow all the way in case u haven't already and adjust the wattage in order to get fast ramp up time...
If still gets hot then what I do usually is I use thinner clapton coils or remove some wraps from the coils I have or space them a bit....that way coils can heat up faster and produce less heat and u do not have to have airflow fully open also in case u don't like very airy puffs...

The pulse mode u use is the default and usually provides ok ramp up time...
There is also modes in variable wattage that u can use soft normal or hard but I dont think in this case that's your problem...

Last edited:
Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Get one of the little plastic round containers of plumbers grease at Lowes or the Home Depot. Just use a tiny bit. Upside is that it's waterproof and cheap.

Not sure I would want to put that into one of My RTA's or Tanks.

About the Last thing I would want to Inhale is trace amount of Plumber's Grease.

stock-photo-dirty-plumber-dirty-plumber-fixing-a-pipe-216399760.jpg

LOL

Last edited:

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
OK... so you are new here. First, welcome and hello!
Please keep the questions separate... RTA and "drop-in" coil tanks.
Have you built many RTAs? No worries... I have done several and still have issues (it's part of the game) Many times it's the wicking (but can also be coil/mod/settings) Always start with lower wattage and work your way up. One thing I do with RTAs (and RDAs) is do a "dry burn" before wicking. It gives you and idea of how much power you will need. Basically, start low (watts) gently glow the coils a few times (just glowing orange... don't cook it) If it looks good and even glow (ideally from center out but as long as it's somewhat even you are OK) Look for "hot spots" (one part of the coils is red hot but not the rest of the coil) Let it cool and wick it. Generally, you can run a coil more watts that the "dry burn" but not at first (start low and work your way up) At this point it's the vapor production that dictates the power (cool/warm/hot vapor... I tend to keep it warm but never hot) Is it wicking well (no "dry hits") So your other comment was about a "drop-in" coil tank?
Yes, as mentioned... more info... details helps us help you. What coil, what material, pre-wound or you made it, what gauge? How many watts?

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    I'm really new to this, so I would appreciate any suggestions on coils/builds. I'm using dual coils on a Gen S mod, set on pulse mode, trying to vape at 65 - 80W.
    In regards to your Gen S mod, there is an option to set it to CCW (Custom Curvature Wattage I assume). Here you can adjust the wattage in 0.5 second increments based on how long you fire the mod. Since you're using dual coil, it's going to take twice as much power to heat up those coils as you would normally with a single coil - that's why you're seeing the delay. Also mentioned above, mesh coils are going to heat up much quicker than regular coils. If it's getting "too hot", you definitely don't want to be turning the wattage up. It's only going to make that worse.

How to set your mod to CCW and how to adjust the values:
    • Below the display, you'll see 3 vertically aligned smaller buttons - hit the middle one 3 times. This going to bring up the different modes you can set your mod to.
    • Hit either the top or bottom button to scroll through the modes until you see one labeled "DIY" - Press the middle button to go into that menu.
    • The next menu will show 4 different modes to choose from in DIY: "VW" - Variable Wattage, "VT" - Variable Temperature, "VV" - Variable Voltage, and "CCW" - Custom Curvature Wattage. Highlight "CCW" and hit the middle button.
    • Now you are going to see a scale that decreases in value from left to right. By default, I'm not sure what it's set at for 0.5 seconds (initial firing to 0.5 seconds) - probably something like 115-120 watts. Leave that value to start.
    • Hit the firing button once so that the 0.5 turns into a 1.0. Now you are adjusting what wattage your mod will put out between 0.5 seconds and 1 second. Set that value to 100 by hitting the bottom button (or left button if you're holding the mod horizontally).
    • Hit the firing button again - now the 1.0 should read 1.5. Adjust that wattage by hitting the bottom (or left) button until it says 80. Now between 1.0 second and 1.5 seconds, your mod will fire at 80 watts.
    • Hit the firing button again - the 1.5 should now read 2.0. Again, use the bottom (or left) button until the value reads 70.
    • Hit the firing button again - now you're at 2.5. Use the bottom (or left) button again until the value reads 65.
    • Hit the firing button again and continue setting every value from 3.0 S to 5.0 S, at 65.
    • To confirm that you did this correctly, hit the firing button until you see the blinking marker underneath the scale reset all the way to the left, and the mod reads 0.5 S. The value at the top should read somewhere between 110 and 120. Hit the firing button again, it should read 100. Firing again, it should read 80. Then 70. Then 65 for every increment after that.
    • When you think you're set, hit the middle button to exit the modes menu back to the normal UI.
    You've now expedited your mod to fire at a higher wattage on initial firing to heat up the coil faster, which then tapers off closer to what you prefer to vape at. If it's too hot but you like the ramp up time, adjust all of the wattage settings from 1.5 onward, down a few watts. If it's vaping perfectly, but the ramp up time isn't fast enough, adjust the first 2 wattages settings (0.5 S and 1.0 S) up a few watts each. So on and so forth.

Hopefully this will get you closer to what you're looking for. Post again if you have questions.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    In regards to your Gen S mod, there is an option to set it to CCW (Custom Curvature Wattage I assume). Here you can adjust the wattage in 0.5 second increments based on how long you fire the mod. Since you're using dual coil, it's going to take twice as much power to heat up those coils as you would normally with a single coil - that's why you're seeing the delay. Also mentioned above, mesh coils are going to heat up much quicker than regular coils. If it's getting "too hot", you definitely don't want to be turning the wattage up. It's only going to make that worse.

• Below the display, you'll see 3 vertically aligned smaller buttons - hit the middle one 3 times. This going to bring up the different modes you can set your mod to.
    • Hit either the top or bottom button to scroll through the modes until you see one labeled "DIY" - Press the middle button to go into that menu.
    • The next menu will show 4 different modes to choose from in DIY: "VW" - Variable Wattage, "VT" - Variable Temperature, "VV" - Variable Voltage, and "CCW" - Custom Curvature Wattage. Highlight "CCW" and hit the middle button.
    • Now you are going to see a scale that decreases in value from left to right. By default, I'm not sure what it's set at for 0.5 seconds (initial firing to 0.5 seconds) - probably something like 115-120 watts. Leave that value to start.
    • Hit the firing button once so that the 0.5 turns into a 1.0. Now you are adjusting what wattage your mod will put out between 0.5 seconds and 1 second. Set that value to 100 by hitting the bottom button (or left button if you're holding the mod horizontally).
    • Hit the firing button again - now the 1.0 should read 1.5. Adjust that wattage by hitting the bottom (or left) button until it says 80. Now between 1.0 second and 1.5 seconds, your mod will fire at 80 watts.
    • Hit the firing button again - the 1.5 should now read 2.0. Again, use the bottom (or left) button until the value reads 70.
    • Hit the firing button again - now you're at 2.5. Use the bottom (or left) button again until the value reads 65.
    • Hit the firing button again and continue setting every value from 3.0 S to 5.0 S, at 65.
    • To confirm that you did this correctly, hit the firing button until you see the blinking marker underneath the scale reset all the way to the left, and the mod reads 0.5 S. The value at the top should read somewhere between 110 and 120. Hit the firing button again, it should read 100. Firing again, it should read 80. Then 70. Then 65 for every increment after that.
    • When you think you're set, hit the middle button to exit the modes menu back to the normal UI.
    You've now expedited your mod to fire at a higher wattage on initial firing to heat up the coil faster, which then tapers off closer to what you prefer to vape at. If it's too hot but you like the ramp up time, adjust all of the wattage settings from 1.5 onward, down a few watts. If it's vaping perfectly, but the ramp up time isn't fast enough, adjust the first 2 wattages settings (0.5 S and 1.0 S) up a few watts each. So on and so forth.

Hopefully this will get you closer to what you're looking for. Post again if you have questions.

That was a Really Nice and Detailed Description as to How to Use an Advanced Feature.

:thumb:

Last edited:

Pisquilah

Jul 20, 2021

This was the exact thing I did! Luckly I did everything right. It's working perfectly now, and I can adjust the values to match my exact preferences. The Gen S was my best acquisition thus far in vaping. It's just a perfect mod for me.

Thank you everyone for all the answers! I learned a lot here. I'll probably come up with other questions, but I think this is just the way it is. I'm thankful! You're all awesome!

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
    Sep 29, 2019
    North-Central PA (flyover country)
    Gotta make use of the mod features!

No you don't. :p I have one mod that I tried and put away because it was way to complicated and the instructions were horrible. Had to go through 3 or 4 screens just to change the power level. Who needs that?

The vapresso mod is nice. I don't fiddle with the controls and am totally satisfied. Right button up, left button down, and a fire button. I do like the simplicity of a mechanical mod. You don't have to set the time on it.

Reactions: Z-Lee

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    The vapresso mod is nice. I don't fiddle with the controls and am totally satisfied. Right button up, left button down, and a fire button. I do like the simplicity of a mechanical mod. You don't have to set the time on it.
    I have a Kanger Kbox 40 watt (the first one with the LEDs... no screen) Takes a single 18650 battery. I actually love that mod... two buttons (fire and up for the power) Too bad it only does pre-set watts (8, 13, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40) Hoping I can build a coil for one of my RTAs that matches one of those. I do wish a had a mech mod (had a chance to buy a really nice one on clearance sale but waited too long... snooze you lose) hey, I still want to build one myself (very handy and good with electrical stuff) I do have a dual 18650 touch screen mod (Vaporesso Revenger X) that has a clock... looks like an old school analog... no numbers. I never set it but just like the looks of it.

Reactions: Z-Lee

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    This was the exact thing I did! Luckly I did everything right. It's working perfectly now, and I can adjust the values to match my exact preferences. The Gen S was my best acquisition thus far in vaping. It's just a perfect mod for me.

Thank you everyone for all the answers! I learned a lot here. I'll probably come up with other questions, but I think this is just the way it is. I'm thankful! You're all awesome!
    I'm glad you got it working properly. The Gen S is pretty great all around, I agree. Please make sure the batteries you're using in them are rated to be fired at 120w, or whatever the highest wattage value is that you programmed into Curvature Mode. Gen S is dual battery, that's 60w watts for each battery. Divided by 3, gives you a fairly accurate estimation on the needed Continuous Discharge Rating in Amps for each battery. You will want each of your batteries to have a (Max) Continuous Discharge Rating of at least 20A to not exert excessive stress/heat on them. A higher Amp value than what is needed is always a good thing.

Cheers.

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    No you don't. :p I have one mod that I tried and put away because it was way to complicated and the instructions were horrible. Had to go through 3 or 4 screens just to change the power level. Who needs that?
    I do agree, some mods can be very confusing to operate or even get used to - especially if you're constantly rotating through different kits. YiHi for me has kind of been a pain, ngl. I try to keep things as simple as I'll tolerate for performance, so normal variable wattage is pretty much all I use. I have yet to dabble into my mech mods - I feel like there will be a time and a place if/when the vapocalypse happens.

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    I have a Kanger Kbox 40 watt (the first one with the LEDs... no screen) Takes a single 18650 battery. I actually love that mod... two buttons (fire and up for the power) Too bad it only does pre-set watts (8, 13, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40) Hoping I can build a coil for one of my RTAs that matches one of those. I do wish a had a mech mod (had a chance to buy a really nice one on clearance sale but waited too long... snooze you lose) hey, I still want to build one myself (very handy and good with electrical stuff) I do have a dual 18650 touch screen mod (Vaporesso Revenger X) that has a clock... looks like an old school analog... no numbers. I never set it but just like the looks of it.
    I also have a few mods that display in analog. I agree, that it just looks more classy.

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    My three ice cream recipes (mixed last week-end) need to steep longer but of course I can't wait so giving them a "sneak preview" this week-end on a RDA. My cheesecake will be 6 week steep so mixing up some berry to go with that (and a new coil in my Zlide)
    I know what you mean. I've been spoiled by 217 batteries. It makes the single 18650 mods hard to use now - the expectations are simply too high.

(There, I aided in ricocheting your tangent)

:rickroll:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread