Can someone confirm I'm in no danger of a higher charge here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Basically, I'm about to buy something using a coupon that's a couple of months old but appears to still work and is saving me more than 50%. I'm pretty sure I know the answer here, but since the price differential is so huge I just want to make sure. If the fact that the coupon still works is a mistake, the vendor will either honor the price or will have to tell me before charging something different than appeared on the checkout screen, yes?

Sorry, I know this is kind of a stupid question but I have jumped through so many hoops and gotten myself so stressed to get a defective ecig replaced in the color I want that at this point, I need someone to just pat me on the head and confirm or deny in a soothing voice.

Thanks in advance.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If the sale goes through with the coupon, and your cc is charged that amount, the vendor will either honor the price or cancel the sale (which is sorta illegal but can't blame them for trying). However, the vendor cannot come back and charge you the difference, so if the sale goes through for $50 instead of the usual $100, the vendor can't hit your cc for another $50.

So, with a deal like this, you are going to share the info with the rest of us, right?:D

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
I would gladly share if it was anything special! It's just for a single device that is normally out of my price range and frankly don't want to say anything until my order goes through, but if it were something bigger I'd gladly share. I don't think it's some big secret but I will PM you!

That's what I thought though, thank you for the response!

I'll post what I'm talking about here for anyone who is curious once I actually place the order, or if it turns out I can't.

Reactions: Eskie

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Basically, I'm about to buy something using a coupon that's a couple of months old but appears to still work and is saving me more than 50%. I'm pretty sure I know the answer here, but since the price differential is so huge I just want to make sure. If the fact that the coupon still works is a mistake, the vendor will either honor the price or will have to tell me before charging something different than appeared on the checkout screen, yes?

Sorry, I know this is kind of a stupid question but I have jumped through so many hoops and gotten myself so stressed to get a defective ecig replaced in the color I want that at this point, I need someone to just pat me on the head and confirm or deny in a soothing voice.

Thanks in advance.
It would really help if you provided more information.

Since i a. Shooting blind.

I say try to use the coupon but use a Credit card so you can dispute THR charged if they chsnge the price on you if they charge full price.

Reactions: ddirtyvapes

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I would gladly share if it was anything special! It's just for a single device that is normally out of my price range and frankly don't want to say anything until my order goes through, but if it were something bigger I'd gladly share. I don't think it's some big secret but I will PM you!

That's what I thought though, thank you for the response!

I'll post what I'm talking about here for anyone who is curious once I actually place the order, or if it turns out I can't.

Oh, by all means get your order in before the mob voraciously gobbles up the inventory. Then let the horde descend!:lol:

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
if it were me, I'd print a screenshot of the checkout screen just to have it, just in case of a dispute. It seems to be a significant amount of $.
That's just me.

Great idea. I will do just that. I don't have a printer but I can still save a dated screenshot.

No one get too excited, I swear the deal isn't quite as good as it sounds!! It's really just a good deal on one good device that I need to replace and am having trouble doing so at a comparable price!

@Two_Bears don't worry, that was plenty of advice even if you're shooting blind. I only use CC online but good to remember to use something that will be easier to dispute if there's a problem. I'm not really anticipating one; it's a reputable site.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
if it were me, I'd print a screenshot of the checkout screen just to have it, just in case of a dispute. It seems to be a significant amount of $.
That's just me.

Generally, screenshots are not an acceptable means of proof as they can be faked rather easily.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Well, no more danger than any other time you give your credit card info to a stranger on the internet. They're not supposed to charge you more than the amount you authorized. They're also not supposed to take your CC# and take themselves for a shopping spree on kohls.com, but there's nothing physically preventing it in either case. You'd have a pretty good case either way, if you could track down an actual human and drag them into a courtroom, but that might be a challenge in this day and age. Just one reason why you should only buy from reputable sellers. And/or get a burner prepaid/reloadable card for online purchases so if someone shady does get ahold of your info, it doesn't do them much good beyond what you put on it for that one particular purchase.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Well, no more danger than any other time you give your credit card info to a stranger on the internet. They're not supposed to charge you more than the amount you authorized. They're also not supposed to take your CC# and take themselves for a shopping spree on kohls.com, but there's nothing physically preventing it in either case. You'd have a pretty good case either way, if you could track down an actual human and drag them into a courtroom, but that might be a challenge in this day and age. Just one reason why you should only buy from reputable sellers. And/or get a burner prepaid/reloadable card for online purchases so if someone shady does get ahold of your info, it doesn't do them much good beyond what you put on it for that one particular purchase.

Right, that's true. Again, this is absolutely a reputable seller so the only problem I can anticipate in normal commerce is getting an email saying they won't honor the price. If someone hacks or uses my info, that's not necessarily their fault (depending on the details anyway), but I'm also not using a coupon for Joe Schmoe on eBay. It's a reputable site who happens to still have an old coupon that works for a device I happen to need, so my guess is either it will go through or they will simply tell me that there's a problem. Still, again, I'm completely fried this morning so I needed some kind of loose confirmation. Buying online is always a certain amount of risk.

Last edited:

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
so my guess is either it will go through or they will simply tell me that there's a problem.
That seems most likely. Or, like @Eskie mentioned they could just cancel the sale after the fact and refund your money if the coupon's continued functionality was an oversight on their part, claiming "out of stock" if you tried to pitch a fit. But in any case, I think your greatest danger here is not getting the thing you want for the price they advertised (and your money might be held up for a while by the refund process but in my experience, banks have usually been pretty quick and got it done in about a week or less, it's never taken the full "up to 30 days" that it usually says it can.)

Reactions: ddirtyvapes

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
@bwh79 That's exactly what I figured, and really that's a pretty low risk all things considered. As I said, I'm just trying to get a replacement for a defective mod in the color I want at the price I initially found it, but if I can't get it for that price at the place in question, I have a back-up option... just in the wrong color, which is obviously not the end of the world. So in this case, as long as I'm aware that there could be some snag that requires my attention and/or phone calls to company/CC company/whathave you, I think my only risk (besides the nefarious) is not getting the mod in the color I want. Somehow or other I should still be able to get some color at the price I originally paid.

Reactions: bwh79

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
Oh, by all means get your order in before the mob voraciously gobbles up the inventory. Then let the horde descend!:lol:

That would definitely make the vendor have to rescind the purchase - at least for some. It has happened before - the first few got to keep the goodies - the followers not so lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread