Can someone explain the UDCT tank to me a little better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
SmokTech V2 Tank Kit

First of all, a 6 ml tank sounds huge. The regular ViVi Nova holds 2.8 ml, right?

Also, as per the vendor description: "These are newly designed and are made to be used with the new CE2 DC single punched cartomizers with no filler. They come with the cartomizer that has filler in them but you are more then welcome to try our new non filler replacment cartomizers in 1.5 - 3ohm resistances."

I'm extremely confused by this description. Can anyone who has these or has seen one used, filled, etc., enlighten me? Thank you in advance!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
First of all, a 6 ml tank sounds huge. The regular ViVi Nova holds 2.8 ml, right?

Also, as per the vendor description: "These are newly designed and are made to be used with the new CE2 DC single punched cartomizers with no filler. They come with the cartomizer that has filler in them but you are more then welcome to try our new non filler replacment cartomizers in 1.5 - 3ohm resistances."

As a veteran cartomizer tank user, I will recommend that you not consider that tank, if only because the tube material is polycarbonate plastic. This plastic is vulnerable to cracking or melting with use with certain flavors. You can read up on this phenomenon here http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tanks/219179-lets-make-list-juices-flavors-crack-tanks-ce2s-clearos-29.html#post7203876:danger:

I'm extremely confused by this description. Can anyone who has these or has seen one used, filled, etc., enlighten me? Thank you in advance!
Yes, I understand your confusion. I read it and I'm confused too. Why would someone advertise a tank designed for a specific kind of cartomizer, yet sell it with another kind? "But wait, if you want to use the cartomizers this tank was designed for, those will work too!" :blink:

Does this guy even understand the stuff that he sells? Doesn't sound like it. And this is the guy who you'll communicate with should you buy it and have a problem and need to contact support. I've never dealt with the vendor, but that's just a poor advertisement.

So, yes, 6ml is a big tank, but it depends upon what device you plan to put it on. A 6ml tank can look small on a Silver Bullet, but humongous on a eGo. You never mentioned in your post what device you use, so that doesn't help us help you.

The clearomizer cartomizers on that website are relatively new to the vaping scene. The jury is still mixed on how well they work from what I have read. Try them at your own risk, but until manufacturers work the kinks out of the design, I'd stick with the regular polyfill cartomizers. :nah:

Below are two suggestions I highly recommend to a new person wishing to try carto-tanking: :thumb:

IBTanked - Get Tanked With Us! The IBTanked Pyrex Glass Tanks allows you to purchase a high quality yet inexpensive pyrex glass tank with prices beginning as low as $17.50.

The website is designed to walk you through picking the right tank for you. Highly recommended.

The vendor also sells the stainless steel or acrylic caps to go with his tubes, drip tips, and pre-punched cartomizers for everything you need to begin tanking.

The slim 19mm tanks look best on skinny or smaller batteries: like an eGo or Provari, and hold 1.5-2ml of juice. The wider 25mm tanks look better on a larger mod: like a Silver Bullet or Bolt, and hold 5-8 ml.

The standard size tanks will use a 35mm carto and the longer XL size tanks will use a 45mm XL carto.

OCD-2.jpg OCD-1.jpg
The slim 19mm XL clear tubes with acrylic caps

I have no affiliation with this vendor, but I have bought 5 of his tanks and highly recommend him.

The polypropylene-tubed Smoktech DCT tank kit sold by My Vapor Store:

http://www.myvaporstore.com/510_Pro_DCTank_Combo_p/510dctp.htm
is a nice tank kit for $21. The slim 3.5ml is perfect for an eGo battery, the 6 ml size perfect for a larger mod. Both sizes use a 45mm XL size cartomizer. Single or dual coils can be used in these.

dctank.jpg

I have no affiliation with this vendor, but I have bought 6 of their tanks and recommend them.

Last edited:

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
I'm quite happy with the DCT carto tank I got from the vendor who's selling the UDCT. He actually does a pretty good job of disseminating what works and what doesn't work, for the most part, and I trust him. His juice prices are phenomenal.

Luckily for me the local brick & mortar store carries DCT carto tanks, too, and replacement cartos with the flange on the bottom, so I'm good to go as far as tanks go. I was just wondering what it meant "pulling" the filler out. Sounds kinda weird to me.

EDIT: Oh, forgot, I use all the batteries in my signature: the Torpedo VVV, the Kgo VV, an eGo Twist (1000 mAh), and a fixed eGo battery (1000 mAh).

• Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

wade

Verified Member
Oct 31, 2012
Armstrong BC
I just bought a UDCT tank and was confused about what it was before I bought it. Had to try it though. I also bought a 5 pack of replacement cartos made for it.

IMG_0282.jpg

Here is the difference between the DCT tanks and UDCT tanks. The bottom has a place for the carto to lock into as well as a ring to hold it on. The tank doesn't come entirely apart either. There are no o-rings like the previous design, it is actually attached to the top and the bottom.

I do have a few complaints with this tank however. For starters the carto that came in it was faulty. So I went to put a new one in. It didn't fit in the locking grooves, so I had to file the carto down a little. The cartos are not meant for high voltage, I was warned of this by the vendor. I was told to run it at 3V however I run it at 3.6V. They are only 1.6ohms though.

The last problem I had is that the locking ring sits too tight against the Provari body, and doesn't let any air in. I have to run it without the ring. Here is a picture of the problem:

IMG_0286.jpg

I am working on a solution this morning. Dremel time.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
I just bought a UDCT tank and was confused about what it was before I bought it. Had to try it though. I also bought a 5 pack of replacement cartos made for it.

View attachment 149003

Here is the difference between the DCT tanks and UDCT tanks. The bottom has a place for the carto to lock into as well as a ring to hold it on. The tank doesn't come entirely apart either. There are no o-rings like the previous design, it is actually attached to the top and the bottom.

I do have a few complaints with this tank however. For starters the carto that came in it was faulty. So I went to put a new one in. It didn't fit in the locking grooves, so I had to file the carto down a little. The cartos are not meant for high voltage, I was warned of this by the vendor. I was told to run it at 3V however I run it at 3.6V. They are only 1.6ohms though.

The last problem I had is that the locking ring sits too tight against the Provari body, and doesn't let any air in. I have to run it without the ring. Here is a picture of the problem:

View attachment 149004

The carto being faulty isn't an issue with the tank. Tanks are tanks, the carto you use IN the tank isn't really related to the tank itself. I understand that the carto that came with the tank is the one that's faulty, but sometimes cartos are faulty, it happens, I've had Boges, Smoketechs, and many other brands of cartos that have come to me and were basically worthless out of the box. That's not really a reflection of the tank's function at all.

Same goes for not being used with low voltage. They come with 1.5ohm cartos. You can get cartos in pretty much any resistance that you want that will fit this tank. Just like you shouldn't use any other 1.5ohm carto with high voltage, you shouldn't use the carto that comes with this tank with high voltage. If it's an issue, buy a higher rez carto, or just by the tank only without carto or tip, and use whatever carto you want.

As far as the locking ring causing issues for you, this is understandable. In order for the ring to lock the carto, the ring has to (by nature) protrude futher down than the carto instelf does, otherwise it wouldn't be able to cover the base of the flanged carto and lock it in. Because of this, these tanks didn't work for me with an eGo that had the large tank thread cover/adaptor on.

This issue should be known to people purchasing this tank, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a design flaw or anything, since like I said it would be impossible to lock the tank to the carto, without having extra material covering the flange of the carto, which is going to stick out farther down than the flange itself.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Curious if this is the same as the Artemas tanks? These hold 6ml, Artemas holds 5ml. I have an Artemas and was curious if these had the same annoyance of the cart having a small amount of movement.

These are indeed the same thing. I'm not sure what this vendor is talking about with the filler material-free cartos, but the tank itself is the same thing, if you put a different carto in there it's not going to change the tank.

As far as the capacity of the tanks, I think the 5ml rating is low. I have some 5ml smoktech tanks (the normal ones that look just like the smaller 3.5ml ST tanks) which are rated for 5ml, and these hold more.

If you compare these tanks to a normal smoktech tank, the ones with the removable endcaps (these tanks have fixed caps) you'll notice that these tanks have room for juice inside of the endcaps. I'm explaining this badly, but when you look at normal tanks, the caps are solid, the part where the endcap meets the tank tube is where the internal space starts. But on these tanks, looking at them from the outside, the silver (or black or gunmetal) caps meet the tank tube on the outside, but on the inside, the tank is still open space up (or down) into the caps. Again I'm explaining this really badly, but if you look at your artemas tank, and then a normal tank, you'll see that there is additional juice capacity past where the endcaps meet the tank tube on the outside of the tank.

As for the movement, I'm curious why this is an issue for you? No other tanks lock the carto into the tank, so they are all free to move up and down without any restriction (other than the friction of the carto against the internal o-rings) so these tanks allow the carto to move less than with other tanks, or am I missing something? I can move my mine up and down less than 1mm probably, I can feel it if I use my fingers to try and move the tank up, but can't even see the difference, and it stays in place unless I am trying to pull the tank up, and even then like I said movement is less than 1mm.

Last edited:

myyrkezaan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2012
Clayton, NC
These are indeed the same thing. I'm not sure what this vendor is talking about with the filler material-free cartos, but the tank itself is the same thing, if you put a different carto in there it's not going to change the tank.

The filler free cartos use a wick inside, nice review here:

Look up CE2 style cartomizer, I've seen 1.5, 1.7, 2.0, 3.0 single and 1.5, 2.0 dual.

As far as the capacity of the tanks, I think the 5ml rating is low. I have some 5ml smoktech tanks (the normal ones that look just like the smaller 3.5ml ST tanks) which are rated for 5ml, and these hold more.

If you compare these tanks to a normal smoktech tank, the ones with the removable endcaps (these tanks have fixed caps) you'll notice that these tanks have room for juice inside of the endcaps. I'm explaining this badly, but when you look at normal tanks, the caps are solid, the part where the endcap meets the tank tube is where the internal space starts. But on these tanks, looking at them from the outside, the silver (or black or gunmetal) caps meet the tank tube on the outside, but on the inside, the tank is still open space up (or down) into the caps. Again I'm explaining this really badly, but if you look at your artemas tank, and then a normal tank, you'll see that there is additional juice capacity past where the endcaps meet the tank tube on the outside of the tank.

Not a bad explanation at all, I noticed the extra space at the top and bottom as well. I can fill this above the bottom rim on the top cap.

As for the movement, I'm curious why this is an issue for you? No other tanks lock the carto into the tank, so they are all free to move up and down without any restriction (other than the friction of the carto against the internal o-rings) so these tanks allow the carto to move less than with other tanks, or am I missing something? I can move my mine up and down less than 1mm probably, I can feel it if I use my fingers to try and move the tank up, but can't even see the difference, and it stays in place unless I am trying to pull the tank up, and even then like I said movement is less than 1mm.

It wasn't an issue just an annoyance. I checked it again and the current cart doesn't move as much as the previous cart. It wasn't a huge movement, but there is a difference in the amount of movement between this cart and the previous.

I love the way this tank looks, but I don't get along with cartomizers. I've have 2 of the ce2 cartos on the way to try them out, if they work for me I'll be getting another of these.

Of course if someone wants a really big tank they could get the Vivi 8ml, but it doesn't look as good :).

View attachment 149004

I had the same problem. I like the look of the tank, but it's lacking an airflow duct on the bottom cap. Any luck with that Dremel? Perhaps creating an airflow duct like on the bottom of Cartomators or Prives?

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
The issue isnt with the tank. Its with the Provari not having vent holes so air can pass thought

That was my initial assumption but I didn't want to offend the sensibilities of any Provari users out there without knowing for sure.

I know the inner ring of the Provari head has those slots for airflow, I have no idea why they didn't put them on the outside ring (main body portion) as I could see this issue coming up with other types of tanks as well. Although at least other tanks you can slide the tank up to expose a bit of airflow, with a locking tank this is not possible, which is what's causing the issue here.

Really that's the one thing keeping me from getting a Provari is the fact that I can't use these locking tanks on them. They are the best looking, and most functional tanks I've used (out of 15 or so different types and styles of tanks) so I've got a bunch of them clanking around with different juices in them. If I can't use them on a Provari I'd basically need to completely restructure hierarchy of tanks, which I'd prefer not to.

I think the provari top would even look good with like 4 notches evenly spaced. I wouldn't want to do this myself without a mill or anything, as the results would likely be pretty rough looking.

Someone could also try cutting a notch into the locking ring of the tank, but seeing how thin it is, I'm not sure if the thing would stay together after getting hacked up.

I hope someone figures it out and reports back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread