can someone help me with a magnum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abby182000

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
I have successfully built my first battery box mod today. Using a 4xaaa holder and using 2xaaa batteries. However I need a vaping machine. The flashlight I want to use uses 3x aaa batteries, and can be found on deal extreme by searching glow in the dark flashlight. I am unable to post links as I do not have enough posts.

Is there anyway to turn this into a magnum that produces vapor that will have me reaching for my asthma inhaler? A wiring diagram that includes led placement would be beneficial. I will be checking back here on the forums as well as my pm's. Oh yes as for the connector I will be using the coax N connection as I have found it is easier to work with and I have used one on my battery box.

Please someone out there help me!

abby182000

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
ok well I can't seem to find the edit button for the life of me but if you search deal extreme this is the sku number 21439 it will pull up the flashlight directly. I also need to find out what kind of batteries I will need to work with as I don't know if the 14500 batteries run parallel to each other and run 3.6v or if they combine to run over 7v which is pretty much what I want. PURE VAPOR!

abby182000

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
Why not just put another battery in your box? 3 volts isn't really enough juice, but 4.5 would do it.

I guess I could do that but then I'm going to have to pick up another box as I used the 2nd aaa holder next to the atomizer for my tach switch. Oh well live and learn lol. I'll also have to pick up another set of batteries as I only have 2xaaa that are rechargeable. I may end up doing the same box mod only in aa form. As my aa rechargeables I have are higher mah, not to mention I have more than just 2 of them. Right now using the 2xaaa batteries it produces the same amount of vapor as the oem battery. I'm sure it will outlast the oem battery though.

The part I don't understand is each battery is only 1.2v not 1.5v so in theory 3 batteries would only produce 3.6v is that even enough to produce the amount of vapor I want? If i go with the 14500 batteries from deal extreme will they be 3.6v or 7.2v when used together???

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
The important aspect of what you want to do is have a battery pack that puts out 6 volts. Following the basic instructions from madog's initial video on building the Magnum is the jumping off point for whatever your imagination desires. Regardless of what you want to build, the theory is the same. With some creative ingenuiy, you can mod many things other than flashlights.

I am using 2 CR2 batteries with a total of 6v at about 1800mAh from Deal Extreme. Another good source for batteries and charges is Battery Universe. Do not go over 6v as this is really the upper limit you want to play with. If you use 6v without letting your atomizer cool down appropriately, you will burn out atomizers faster than analogs.

abby182000

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
The important aspect of what you want to do is have a battery pack that puts out 6 volts. Following the basic instructions from madog's initial video on building the Magnum is the jumping off point for whatever your imagination desires. Regardless of what you want to build, the theory is the same. With some creative ingenuiy, you can mod many things other than flashlights.

I am using 2 CR2 batteries with a total of 6v at about 1800mAh from Deal Extreme. Another good source for batteries and charges is Battery Universe. Do not go over 6v as this is really the upper limit you want to play with. If you use 6v without letting your atomizer cool down appropriately, you will burn out atomizers faster than analogs.

awesome thanks for this info, so how hard was maddog's magnum to build considering I've only built a juice box. also as I stated the flashlight I want to use has the housing for 3x aaa batteries how hard would it be to incorporate the 2 cr2 batteries into it?

esmkr209

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
breakfastchef, which cr2 batteries are you using to get about 1800 mAh? I am using 3.0V 800 mAh batteries from dealextreme. In series the battery voltage is combined to make 6.0V but the mAh remains 800 mAh. In parallel the voltage remains 3.0V but the mAh doubles to 1600 mAh. I would love to get 6.0V and 1600 mAh. Is there a cr2 battery on dealextreme rated higher than 800 mAh?

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
breakfastchef, which cr2 batteries are you using to get about 1800 mAh? I am using 3.0V 800 mAh batteries from dealextreme. In series the battery voltage is combined to make 6.0V but the mAh remains 800 mAh. In parallel the voltage remains 3.0V but the mAh doubles to 1600 mAh. I would love to get 6.0V and 1600 mAh. Is there a cr2 battery on dealextreme rated higher than 800 mAh?

I stand corrected. Yes, in series the voltage doubles but current remains the same. I will say that I easily go through 3-4 pairs of rechargeable CR2's each day. I am either not charging them long enough or they really do not hold a charge very long. In any event, high-voltage vaping is great.

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
awesome thanks for this info, so how hard was maddog's magnum to build considering I've only built a juice box. also as I stated the flashlight I want to use has the housing for 3x aaa batteries how hard would it be to incorporate the 2 cr2 batteries into it?

The juice box is a very simple build and one that lays the fundamentals for the Magnum mod, particularly if you incorporated an LED. I did one JuiceBox with 2 CR2 batteries, so it is possible to crank one of them up to high-voltage. I can also convert it easily to run a 3.7v battery.

I built two of madog's Magnums for use with penstyle atomizers. I am still not good at it, but they both work fine. It is difficult to put all the stuff into a 1" diameter x 3/4" deep space. Have extra parts on hand.

If you use the same or similar flashlight as madog did, there is no problem fitting two CR2 batteries. Any flashlight of similar dimension should work fine. Remember, this is modding. You will come up against problems that you have to devise solutions for.

esmkr209

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Breakfastchef, I am a pretty heavy vapor and go through 3-4 sets of batteries a day as well. Somehow I do not think that the 800 mAh rating is accurate.

Everyone should be careful when using 2 cr2 batteries. At full charge they combine for a total voltage of about 6.8. My 901 atomizers do not seem to mind the higher voltage, but it destroyed one of my 801 atomizers. Now I use two 1n4004 rectifier diodes placed in series between the battery + and center post of the atomizer connector. My total voltage on freshly charged cr2's is now about 5.5V.

abby182000

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
ok questions about batteries. How would I run 2 batteries parallel and the other opposite so that I pull the 6v needed to power the mod yet have the mah to keep it going? Has anyone been able to do this? I'm thinking about making a 4x aaa box and using 3 lithium batteries. Only problem is I am stumped on how to make the 2 batteries run parallel.

esmkr209

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
In order to use CR2 batteries to create a 6.0V 1600 mAh battery pack you would have to install 4 batteries. See the diagram below.

esmkr209-albums-wiring-diagram-picture1070-6-0v-1600-mah-battery-wiring.jpg
[/IMG]

Laredo7mm

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
I think you need to ditch the CR2's. Do a web search for 18350's. Deal Exteme does not carry them. They are basically just like 18650's but only 35mm long as opposed to 65mm long and are rated ar 1200mah. Then get a flash light from DX that works off of one 18650 or two cr123a batteries.

Two of the 18350 in series will give you 8.4 volts freshly charged. Now, get yourself a TI UCC383TDKTTT-5 that will regulate your output to 5V.

Mod it up and you are good to go. I am running this set up now and I can go for about 3.5 days between charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread