Can someone help with amps in relationship to batteries - what are these 30 amp batteries i see??

Status
Not open for further replies.

flexsr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
upstate new york
Hey guys, for a newbie on batteries i think inhave a good idea on the whole voltage, watt, resistance thing and the easy one of course is the maH or capacity of a battery but..... What is continuous current or amps of a battery ?

I never new this but most of the 18650 on the market are 10amps discharge rate. Recently ive been seeing batteries which are 30amp batteries -

What is amos in reference to batteries.... Ive seen posts that slow sub ohm vaping could benefit from these 30amp batteries.

What is it? What are the benefits - i would guess that higher amp batteries allow for more current to flow. Is there math involved with amp on a battery ?

Can any one explain what it is exactly and who would benefit from using them and why ?

Thx much

There is math. Amps are the current draw. Look up ohms law, and an ohms law calculator. Play with it a little. You must stay under your batteries amp limit. I vape on a 30amp 18650 at let's say 4.0 volts and my resistance is .3ohms then I'm pulling ~13 amps. Safe on my battery, not on most. You say most batteries are 10 amp. I haven't seen this unless specifically advertised as 10 amps. Any battery I've seen with no amp rating advertised ends up being <5 amps. I have 4 or 5 of them stuck with my vamo as I can't trust them on my mech. Tl;Dr if you are using a vv device I wouldn't even bother with 30 amp batts, your mod most likely has sufficient protection. If you are going to get into rebuildables and mechanical mods I would suggest studying ohms law and investing in some 30 amps.

Last edited:

flexsr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
upstate new york
Thank you for resources already habe ohms calculator and will read the other link.

Still having trouble with why 30 amp batteries are more safe with sub ohm

And how does amperage of the battery affect things

I understand the whole (well part of ohms law in basic terminology) in that more volts will give more power (wattage) given the resistance is the same in both.

Also resistance will lower your output power (wattage) of two batteries with the same voltage---the math n calculator tells you exactly how much

I understand mill amps hours (mah) of battery is basically how long the battery will last (and i know there are drop off charts for that)

But still having trouble with current flow (amps) of battery and how that affects things - ive read somewhere and a few times the new 30 amp batteries make sub ohm vaping a little safer. Why though ?

I kinda understand the higher the amps current flow the quicker the battery will recharge ? (Is that true?)

But i dont understand how the amperage of the battery effects vaping as well as safety of vaping - what are advantages/disadvantages of using different amp batteries and i guess whats the math behind it (still tied to ohms law?)

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
if you have a 10A battery, then the lowest Ohm coil you can run is 0.5Ω - which rips out 8.4A (it's under the 10A limit of your battery)

By deviating slightly and using a 0.4Ω coil - you are now asking your battery for 10.5A which is above its rating. That is why you need batteries that can handle say 30A for sub-ohm coils.

You also want some margin of safety built in, so that as your batteries degrade over time - you are still vaping safely.
The Amps of either a 10 or 30A battery vape exactly the same.

T

X-Puppy

Cloud Hound!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
Marysville, Washington, USA
A really low resistance subΩ coil is going to run with a very high flow of current - current flow is measured in amps. Very high currents also generate a lot of heat. A battery with a higher amp rating is a battery that can handle a higher flow of current and will also run cooler.

The higher the amp rating the cooler the battery will run under stress. A battery with a 30amp rating gives you more capacity for current than what you need for any practical subΩ coil. It will ensure that even when you're pushing a really hot .3Ω coil, the chances the battery will overheat and cause a dangerous condition is greatly reduced.

Amps = current = I
Resistance = Ω (ohms = R
Voltage = V

:2c:

jangeisler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Denmark
+1 to the other answers

The common formula used with vaping is

Watts = volts x amps
Or
Watts = volts x volts / ohm

To determine if your battery can handle a low ohms setup you use

Volts = amps x ohm
Ohm = volts / amps
Amps = volts / ohm

So if youre running 0,5 ohms on a 4,2v battery with a 5 amps limit:

Amps = 4,2 / 0,5 = 8,4 A
Thats not healthy for the battery :)

Mikey6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2013
Bakersfield, CA, USA
The other posts pretty much have it covered, higher amp rating means you can safely run a lower resistor because the safe current limit is higher. But if you exceed that limit you run the risk of thermal runaway ( I think) which will lead to bad news. I use the Sony vtc4 in my mech mod and about .6 ohms on my current Rda. In my mind I will only drop to .2 if I get really frisky. That would put me at 21 amps or 70% of my capacity which I think is a good safety buffer. I may do that for a bit but nothing long term (just got my 100 ft of Kanthal in today) probably just going to stay about 0.5 and call that good. For the calcs I always assume full charge of 4.2 volts, just to be safe.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread