The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Can someone perform an experiment for me???? I'm losing my mind.

Discussion in 'ProVape' started by p.opus, Mar 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. p.opus

p.opus Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Coral Springs FL
    In order to perform this experiment you need an MVP and an inline volt meter.

The reason is I would like to know why my Kayfun performs better on my ProVari than my MVP.

Both devices have a flat signal, so it's not due to unfiltered PWM

I have both devices set for the same voltage (4.3 on a 2.0 ohm coil)

Ohms law tells me that both should vape identically but both my MVP's feel weaker.

I've seen Pbusardo's videos and if anything the MVP2 fires high.

The only thing I can think of is that the MVP lags under continuous load, and since I take deeper hits with the Kayfun, I'm noticing the difference.

If anyone has an inline volt meter and wants to do a comparison between their MVP and ProVari, I'd love to see the results.

I'd hate to think a portion of my ProVari love is Placebo effect. Especially since that is what I postulated prior to owning one.

2. Kellysleep

Kellysleep Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Lynchburg,VA,USA
    Maybe your MVP is mad at you for getting three provari's? I have an MVP and my kay fun clone doesn't perform as well on that as it does on my provari.

3. zanedog

zanedog Moved On

Jan 28, 2014
    Alberta
    I would suspect the voltage drop under load as well. I can see it on the Janty MiD when It's hooked up to the computer. I would imagine the MVP drops further than the ProVari?

4. Elantis

Elantis ~≈Dragonfly≈~ Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 31, 2012
    Hoosier Cornhusker
    I have both an MVP and several ProVari's - Here was my results.

Using a Russian91% with a 1.6Ω coil, Voltage Setting 3.5volts

The inline volt meter on the Provari - 3.49volts

And on the MVP v2 - 3.40volts

Hope this is what you were looking for.

5. p.opus

Aug 24, 2010
    Coral Springs FL
    Perfect, that explains a lot.

One last thing, does the MVP hold 3.4 throughout the 10 seconds, or does it sag during the draw? I know the ProVari doesn't....sag that is.....

6. Elantis

Aug 31, 2012
    Hoosier Cornhusker
    Not sure how I would test that, because the inline records the moment you press the fire button...so that would have to be an "I dunno." :)

7. Elantis

Aug 31, 2012
    Hoosier Cornhusker
    But I do want to point out, using the inline volt meter, both the ProVari and the MVP v2 were set to 3.5 volts.

Without a topper, the ProVari read exactly 3.50 volts, the MVP v2 reading fluctuate between 3.54 and 3.56 volts.

8. p.opus

Aug 24, 2010
    Coral Springs FL
    If you hold the fire button down, it should continue to measure voltage. Thus you would be able to see it drop as you hold the fire button down.

But the inline volt meter may not continue to measure after it takes it's initial reading.

9. LastRide

LastRide Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 24, 2010
    Canada
    I picked up a Digital ohm meter and an inline volt meter just recently. The coil in my nautilus aspire reads 1.8 ohms on the MVP 2 and 1.99 ohms on my digital ohm meter. With no tank connected. On the inline volt meter firing at 3.6 V on the MVP 2 I get 3.66 volts on the inline meter. With the Nautilus connected on the inline meter 3.53 V.

I left it firing for about 8 seconds. The inline meter did shut off with no tank connected after 8-10 seconds. It was still on after 6-8 with a tank connected. The tank quit gurgling so I let go. I will be getting a Kayfun Lite Plus hopefully soon and can check again using that.

PS: I checked with a multimeter to see which device was telling the truth on the ohms of the coil. The multimeter read 1.99 ohms.

10. larsfk

larsfk Full Member Verified Member

Mar 6, 2014
    United States
    doesnt the pro vari have a 5 amp draw and the mvp 2.5-3? i would think this could be a big impact aswell

11. ENAUD

ENAUD falling, falling, down the rabbit hole... Verified Member ECF Veteran

I may be off base, but I wonder if as the coil heats up there isn't a resistance change and you are hitting the 11 watt limit on the MVP, whereas the Provari's 15 watt allows more current to the coil?

12. destinkarette

destinkarette Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Orange Grove, Texas
    That would make sense, also why the provari fires the atty to check ohms. Typically as something warms up the resistance increases.

13. TheKiwi

TheKiwi Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Strange. Did the test.

1.3 ohms coil on kayfun. On provari, voltage set to 4.2V. On mvp v2, same voltage setting

Using the in-line voltmeter from 101vape, on the provari (with kayfun on), it shows 4.19 V. On the MVP it shows 4.17V. Negligible difference.

But here's the damned annoying thing. I got the missus to conduct a blind test for me, and out of 17 times, I could pick the provari correctly all 17 times. The vape from the provari is significantly "stronger" in terms of density and warmth. I'm an engineer and I'm bloody stumped.

ETA: each vape was a 6 seconds drag

Burping out loud using Tapatalk

14. glassgal

glassgal Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 7, 2013
    Central Florida
    Someone explained this a while ago... at least to my satisfaction. While I cant' give you the full argument, it had something to do with the Provari having a 'continous pulse' vs a bouncy one from almost every other mod. Maybe one of the people who explained it will see this:).

15. Gato del Jugo

Gato del Jugo ProVarinati ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2013
    US o' A
    MVP 2 is simply inaccurate at the lower resistance levels..

As for the numbers, I'd say it has to do with your voltmeter..

pbusardo got different results than you did re: voltage under load, starting at 13:05...

A PBusardo Review & Contest - iTaste MVP V2 - YouTube

16. Gato del Jugo

Gato del Jugo ProVarinati ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2013
    US o' A
    It's not that..

MVP 2 shares the same output signal...

17. glassgal

glassgal Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 7, 2013
    Central Florida
    Well, I don't know the reasons... but the MVP was my FIRST mod ever, and the Provari was my first big mod, and that was the very first thing I noticed, BIG difference on larger atomizers (but not as notable difference on small ones like cartos).

18. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I don't totally understand PWM, but I have read that different processors use different filters to adjust the voltage output. It could well be that Provape used a more sophisticated filtering setup for their circuit board than the MVP does.

19. Ozwald

Ozwald Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 12, 2013
    Montana
    I just got my first MVP2 today & can't believe this is even a question. They don't vape anything alike. With the MVP I can definitely tell the difference as the battery voltage drops, but even on a fresh charge there's no comparison.

The MVP is definitely smoother than the cheaper mods I've tried, but it's not even remotely close to the vape off a Provari.

20. p.opus

Aug 24, 2010
    Coral Springs FL
    I noticed the same thing. I don't know why. I still use the MVP for travelling as it is more convenient to "pack" an MVP than a ProVari and all the batteries and chargers. But around town and at home, the ProVari is used most of the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.