Can someone please explain why an Xtar wp6 II charger is supposed to be better than a TR-003P4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K-man

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2012
Ottawa, Canada
I posted this in the Canada section before I realized that the best people to ask were right here!

I thought my Trustfire TR-003P4 was great. No spacers, no nada. I just got an xtar WP6 II cuz of all the raves over it. It's looks like a pain in the .... compared to my Trustfire. The batteries don't sit as securely, and what's with the spacers? I like the sliding adjuster in the Trustfire. Is the xtar really that much better, or safer and why?

Thanks in advance.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
To fully answer the question you must know all the aspects of battery charging and I don't. There is a standard - CC/CV which is used for evaluating chargers - it's the method of charging. See more here:

Battery Chargers and Charging Methods

"Constant-current Constant-voltage (CC/CV) controlled charge system. Used for charging Lithium and some other batteries which may be vulnerable to damage if the upper voltage limit is exceeded. The manufacturers' specified constant current charging rate is the maximum charging rate which the battery can tolerate without damaging the battery. Special precautions are needed to maximise the charging rate and to ensure that the battery is fully charged while at the same time avoiding overcharging. For this reason it is recommended that the charging method switches to constant voltage before the cell voltage reaches its upper limit. Note that this implies that chargers for Lithium Ion cells must be capable of controlling both the charging current and the battery voltage."

The Xtar wp6 II has this cc/cv standard and the trustfire has a 'near' cc/cv standard according to a few reviews I've seen. There are also reviews on the Xtar (flashlight forums) where there were some that were slightly overcharging - sent back, replaced, etc. etc. ...and with the same complaints with the spacers and springs :) Still, they are supposed to be safer.

I've had trustfire 001 for years now without a problem for AW IMR's and other mostly 14500 batts.

I also got a Ultrafire WF-188 Lithium Battery Charger - "good for IMR's" and the negative end hooks were a PITA compared to the paddles on the trustfire. I hated it. :)

If you want to be 'ultra safe' - get any charger and put it in one of these:

Amazon.com: Li-Po Charge Protection Bag, Small: Toys & Games

41gkFatv6CL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread