Can sugar from VG and PG be aborbed into the blood stream and effect Cholestrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
I just started vaping last Nov. Just had a Lipod blood test and my cholesterol triglycerides shot way up. I fasted 10 hrs but I vaped allot before the test so I am trying to figure out why.
If I would have eaten a piece of candy before the test I know the count would go way up. Since VG and PG do taste a llitle sweet I was wondering if the sugar the VG and PG was absorded into my bloodstream causeing a raise my cholesterol & triglycerides count to go up.

The nic is aborded into the bloodstream so does anyone know if there are any test to show if the PG and VG is being absorbed into the bloodstream.

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
look up diabetics and vaping. couple threads i read were inconclusive from peoples personal experiences. havent come across any studies specific to it either.

To tell U the truth, I never understood diabetics but I search some post about it and vaping and its all greek to me. So if your reply is about diabetic effects, I will not understand.

My post is about Cholestrol and triglycerides, I understand that. Has anyone who is not diabetic notice a raise in their Cholestrol and triglycerides since they started vaping.

By taste VG and PG have a sweet taste so I assume since Nic is absorbed into the bloodstream that the sweetness from PG and VG could also be absorbed into the bloodstream.

NICnurse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Kansas City, MO
My triglycerides and total cholesterol dropped after quitting smoking. BUT.....I also made better eating habit choices after I quit smoking too. My cholesterol was 225 a few years ago. I ate like crap though. Smoked too. 18 months ago I made the commitment to a healthier food lifestyle.....limit red meat, eat more fish, eat fruits and veggies and not as much queso and margaritas. Last lab draw 6 months ago my total cholesterol was down to 142!

Your elevated triglycerides are *most* likely either genetic or diet induced. I am not a doctor and I am not stating this as a medical diagnosis, but I would suggest watching your diet more closely and see if that helps. Maybe re-draw labs in 3-4 months after making the diet changes.

Also...the sweetness of PG or VG have nothing to do with cholesterol. Vaping prior to your lab draw should not make any differences in your labs unless you are vaping something with pure sugar in it and that would only affect your glucose readings, not cholesterol. One other thing...cholesterol is just a moment in time reading. If you have been on a crappy food bender for a week prior to lab draws, your labs will show that. If you eat "clean" the week before lab draws, they will show better readings as well. Just food for thought!

Good luck! :)

Last edited:

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
Also...the sweetness of PG or VG have nothing to do with cholesterol. Vaping prior to your lab draw should not make any differences in your labs unless you are vaping something with pure sugar in it and that would only affect your glucose readings, not cholesterol..........[/I]

I am no dietition or Dr....But logic tells me if I ate a bowl of cereal before I had the blood work done, it would effect my chorlestrol. If it wouldn't then they would not tell everyone to FAST for 10-12 hrs. Anything you ingest will effect your cholestrol numbers, thats why U have to fast before the test.

Since ingesting any food can upset the test. And VG and PG are in allot of foods as a sweetener, so by vaping some of the PG and VG would have to of gotten into the blood stream I am thinking. So its hard to believe it would not effect the test.

damthisisfun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2012
Katy, TX
When I started vaping abt a year ago, I did some research on VG - i read some articles that said it can increase triglycerides. Cant find that exact same article - but here i what i found:

Vegetable glycerin, more commonly referred to as glycerol, is a polyol alcohol compound. Glycerol is a common food additive which works as a preservative, a sweetener, and thickening agent. Humans metabolize glycerol into a form of triglycerides, phospholipids, and possibly glucose. Since glycerol is an alcohol, it does metabolize like a carbohydrate, although it has a lower glycemic index than sucrose. Thus, it is likely to cause a small increase in your blood sugar, though the amount contained in your pseudo-cigarette is unlikely to make that increase significant (or perhaps even detectible). The bottom line: vegetable glycerin is generally recognized as safe and might produce a modest temporary elevation of blood sugar.

Propylene glycol (PG) and Vegetable Glycerin (VG) on Vapes for Smoke Quiters

NICnurse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Also...the sweetness of PG or VG have nothing to do with cholesterol. Vaping prior to your lab draw should not make any differences in your labs unless you are vaping something with pure sugar in it and that would only affect your glucose readings, not cholesterol..........[/I]

I am no dietition or Dr....But logic tells me if I ate a bowl of cereal before I had the blood work done, it would effect my chorlestrol. If it wouldn't then they would not tell everyone to FAST for 10-12 hrs. Anything you ingest will effect your cholestrol numbers, thats why U have to fast before the test.

Since ingesting any food can upset the test. And VG and PG are in allot of foods as a sweetener, so by vaping some of the PG and VG would have to of gotten into the blood stream I am thinking. So its hard to believe it would not effect the test.

I see where you could think this. But the metabolic pathway for food that is eaten is different from the metabolic pathway of things inhaled. Without writing a novel on the pathophysiology of the GI tract versus the gas exchange of the respiratory system, comparing vaping ingestion to food ingestion is like comparing apples to oranges...both in quantity and how the substances are broken down. Food is eaten, broken down, and the fats/sugars/proteins are extracted by the liver and small bowel and deposited into the bloodstream. When you vape, you are dealing with a gas exchange that occurs in the lungs as well as a mucosal absorption of material through the mucosal lining of the mouth, nose, lungs, etc. Look at the amount of food you eat that goes into the blood stream versus the amount of eliquid vaped. Very very different amounts. Also, look at the amount of actual vapor that is entering the body. It is infinitely smaller than the amount of food you consume at each meal.

Also, in regards to fasting, labs could actually be elevated simply by the act of fasting. When you do not eat, you tend to also not drink enough liquid. This creates a semi-dehydrated state in the body and lab values could be slightly higher than normal. Not uncommon at all. I would also look into having that lab re-drawn. Mistakes DO happen in the lab. If this triglyceride level was crazy high compared to your normal triglyceride readings in the past, I would have the lab redone. Just to make sure.

In regards to your triglyceride levels.....when did you have them checked the last time prior to this lab draw? Are you comparing recent numbers or numbers from a year ago? That would make a difference too. You also have to consider your overall health: food habits, exercise levels, and body fat composition also play into your cholesterol levels. Family genetic history is huge as well. Some people have what is called familial hypertriglyceremia...or a genetic cause for elevated triglycerides. I have seen patients with this condition and they have triglycerides in the 8,000 range. Strict diet is the only way to combat this problem.

Without knowing your health history, your eating habits, your exercise habits, and your previous triglyceride readings it is impossible to know what caused your recent high triglyceride labs. But no, the sweetness from vaping did not cause your elevated triglycerides. Could the VG have caused it? I would say it is remotely possible, not impossible, but most likely not the cause. If you think VG is contributing to this, I would switch to PG and have the lab re-drawn. That will give you some answers.

As before, good luck!

Last edited:

damthisisfun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2012
Katy, TX
I see where you could think this. But the metabolic pathway for food that is eaten is different from the metabolic pathway of things inhaled. Without writing a novel on the pathophysiology of the GI tract versus the gas exchange of the respiratory system, comparing vaping ingestion to food ingestion is like comparing apples to oranges...both in quantity and how the substances are broken down. Food is eaten, broken down, and the fats/sugars/proteins are extracted by the liver and small bowel and deposited into the bloodstream. When you vape, you are dealing with a gas exchange that occurs in the lungs as well as a mucosal absorption of material through the mucosal lining of the mouth, nose, lungs, etc. Look at the amount of food you eat that goes into the blood stream versus the amount of eliquid vaped. Very very different amounts. Also, look at the amount of actual vapor that is entering the body. It is infinitely smaller than the amount of food you consume at each meal.

Also, in regards to fasting, labs could actually be elevated simply by the act of fasting. When you do not eat, you tend to also not drink enough liquid. This creates a semi-dehydrated state in the body and lab values could be slightly higher than normal. Not uncommon at all. I would also look into having that lab re-drawn. Mistakes DO happen in the lab. If this triglyceride level was crazy high compared to your normal triglyceride readings in the past, I would have the lab redone. Just to make sure.

In regards to your triglyceride levels.....when did you have them checked the last time prior to this lab draw? Are you comparing recent numbers or numbers from a year ago? That would make a difference too. You also have to consider your overall health: food habits, exercise levels, and body fat composition also play into your cholesterol levels. Family genetic history is huge as well. Some people have what is called familial hypertriglyceremia...or a genetic cause for elevated triglycerides. I have seen patients with this condition and they have triglycerides in the 8,000 range. Strict diet is the only way to combat this problem.

Without knowing your health history, your eating habits, your exercise habits, and your previous triglyceride readings it is impossible to know what caused your recent high triglyceride labs. But no, the sweetness from vaping did not cause your elevated triglycerides. Could the VG have caused it? I would say it is remotely possible, not impossible, but most likely not the cause. If you think VG is contributing to this, I would switch to PG and have the lab re-drawn. That will give you some answers.

As before, good luck!

Thanks for the clarification NicNurse - makes sense. I have not had my blood checked since I started vaping - I need to. The op was asking abt it and recently had blood work done......

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
I see where you could think this. But the metabolic pathway for food that is eaten is different from the metabolic pathway of things inhaled. ...!

I am no DR or Nurse as you are. But. One thing I do know is that when you inhale anything, if its absorbed thru the lungs it goes directly into the blood stream. It is not ingested like food but ends up in the same place, the blood.
And since it goes directly into the blood stream. I would think a higher concentrate would make it to the blood stream by being inhaled compared to same quanity going thru the stomach.
Here's what I mean. If you are a heavy vaper and manage to absorb 1/4 teaspoon of PG per day thru your lungs. Compare that with drinking 1/4 teaspoon of PG per day. More PG will make it to your blood stream thru vaping than thru your stomach. SO the small amount the lungs absorb means allot more than going thru your digestive system.

And blood is what we all know is used for a lipid test. So if PG or VG are aborbed thru lungs, it goes directly into the blood stream.

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
That makes sense too.............mystery continues

Glad to see someone else sees what I am talking about.

Its just logical that if I vap 1ml/day of the PG/VG it gets into my bloodstream. No idea how much but as I said, common sense says a higher percent will get into my bloodstream vaping compared to drinking it.

I'm not trying to dicourage people from vaping, just trying to figure out if it might be causing my cholestrol count to go up if I vap allot before the lipic test.

I am sure if I drank a glass of pop, coffee w/sugar,candy bar, ect. right before the test the test results would be effected. So vaping allot right before a test could do the same. Next time I have a test I will be sure to not vap before the test.

BTW in April my cholestrol was 160, the test was about 20 min. after I got out of bed. The last test in July it went up to 247 and I vaped for about 2 hrs before blood drawn.

NICnurse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Kansas City, MO
If your cholesterol count was that drastically different from April to July, I would have the test redone ASAP. An increase that high is not a normal occurrence. Honestly, I would question if there was an error in the lab with a reading that much higher in only 3 months. I am surprised your physician did not re-order that lab draw ASAP. I am also surprised the physician is having your cholesterol checked every 3 months if it was that low in April. Usually cholesterol, if normal (as it was in April) is only checked yearly. None of my business at all, and not looking for you to answer this at all, it is just how my brain works and how I process data and scenarios in the medical field.

I get the strong feeling that you really want your elevated lipid profile to be due to vaping. Millions of people have elevated lipids and total cholesterol, and the majority of them do not vape. To solely isolate vaping as the cause of your elevated lipids, while possible, is not probable. I have responded above with the usual suspect causes of elevated lipids and cholesterol, and until those are ruled out, vaping should not be the primary suspect for your abnormal labs. Speak with your doctor. Have the lab redrawn. Switch to PG liquids if you really think that VG is the cause of this.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
You can play the "I know... so it must be true" game all you want but vaping isn't smoking. Smoking = smoke. Vaping = liquid vapor. Vapor is not absorbed in the lungs the same as smoke is. Have you even asked your doctor what is going on with your test results? Does he/she even know about your vaping?

Last edited:

moondragon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
I last had cholesterol and related tests done last after I had been vaping exclusively for about 6 months. Due to a work deadline, I was up all night and vaping heavily all night before going in first thing in the morning for the tests. All of my results, including the cholesterol results, were well within the normal range.

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
You can play the "I know... so it must be true" game all you want but vaping isn't smoking. Smoking = smoke. Vaping = liquid vapor. Vapor is not absorbed in the lungs the same as smoke is. Have you even asked your doctor what is going on with your test results? Does he/she even know about your vaping?

Yes I know vaping is not smoking, we all know that. Its the moronic anti-smokers who think vaping is smoking.

Now to vapor not being absorbed into lungs, does that really make sense? We all know the Nic in vapor gets absorbed but PG and VG can't, Sorry to say it but u are very wrong. WHY? Cause there are many liquid poisons and other things out there in the world that says "DO NOT INHALE fumes" if you do it may make you sick or could be deadly. So please don't try to tell us all that PG/VG vapor can not be absorbed into your bloodstream. Its just plain nuts thinking its not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread