Can vaping dessert flavors cause prediabetes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
Topic header pretty sums up the question.:)

As of late, have been vaping more dessert flavored e-juices, one very sweet. Went in for my quarterly follow-up visit with my doctor (actually an A-NP or ANP), who communicates much better than the doctors.:)

My sugar level was 101 (was 90 3 months back), part of this may be due to the changing of labs, as each has their own standards, testing equipment, etc. Plus the new lab (LabCorp) is the largest in the area, so may feel rushed, a pressure environment. Instead of my fasting to collect a second sample, another test was performed on the initial blood that took twice as long for results, a reading of 7.x came back.:(

Since I was at a relative's home when the call came in, couldn't jot down the test, remember the 'q' in there, was told I have prediabetes (doesn't that require more than one test series?) & have an appointment on Thursday to go over the results. Where I'll be told what & what not to eat & drink and any other needed lifestyle changes.:(

All of this stated, I've read as much as possible on the subject, isn't this similar to being treatment for high cholesterol, which isn't a disease, rather a risk factor? BTW, have had high cholesterol for years & taking medications, has improved greatly. As for prediabetes, there's no FDA approved treatment for it other than losing weight, taking in less sugar & when possible hard, exercise 5 days per week, difficult for me due to my worsening spinal condition.

So to get one matter resolved (or not), can vaping sweet e-juices cause sugar levels to rise? Everything we intake, be it food, vaping, analogs, the air we breathe, passes through the liver somehow, which I presume acts as a very effective filter & a lot is retained there (maybe why animal liver is nasty tasting:D). On the other hand, our sugar levels are controlled by the insulin output of the pancreas. There's a lot of conflicting information on the Internet, although have found the UK sites having the best sources, more studies, although still limited, whereas the AMA & FDA sites seems to not be helpful (the UK seems to be a lot closer to endorsing vaping than the US).

I wholeheartedly believe I'd not be typing this post if it weren't for vaping & the ECF community that stood by me in late 2013. As I was dealing with breathing difficulties, plural fluid buildup, pneumonia bouts & using strong inhalers 2x daily, plus having a rescue when needed at all times. My chest X-Rays looks much better than prior to 2014. No way will I return to the analogs, all of the hard 4+ years of work will be for nil in weeks. If necessary, can go w/out dessert flavors, yet first need to know if this is a possible cause.

Am already disabled to to a spinal condition, in pain management, treated for other current conditions, and another on the list needless to say, yet another devastating blow to me. I just don't know about this, the one consistent I've read is that a prediabetes diagnosis cannot be determined with a single blood sample, rather several. Preferably by the same lab.o_O

I'm also frightened of needles, sticking myself to draw samples of blood with home testing kits, the sight of blood triggers near fainting.:(

At any rate, any connection between prediabetes & dessert flavor e-juices? Have to get this question answered & if necessary, addressed ASAP (if it is a possible cause). I suppose that I could take the 'try & see' approach, not vaping these flavors, yet that's going to take time to know or not. I'm not the first ECF member here to ask the question & certainly won't be the last, as newer data becomes gathered, regardless of what region of the World. In some respects, from what I read, the EU is a bit further ahead & open to new ideas than the US in medicine, also provides more real World data when it comes to vaping compared to analogs as it relates to cancer.

Sorry for the long post, am literally in a state of confusion over this, have little energy & haven't for months, yet at least my chest doesn't hurt.:thumbs:

Any answers are highly appreciated.:)

Cat

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
This does not strike me as a question best answered by a bunch of folks with nothing better to do than hang out on the internet. Logic says they should have little to do with each other because prediabetes generally has to do with weight gain and it’s not like you’re actually eating anything. Logic is not something to be relied on in this sort of situation. Real medical advice is much more useful

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I don't think so. E-liquids, even very sweet ones, don't generally contain sugars. Sugars would gunk up wicks and coils at an unacceptable rate.

The most common class of cholesterol-lowering drugs ("statins") have been linked to an increased risk of diabetes.

Most starches in your diet turn into glucose very fast, so it's not just sugars you have to watch...

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
@bombastinator & @Rossum , both of you have great points that I never thought of as it applies to my health condition & thanks for your feedback.:)

The usage of sugary flavorings or extracts does gum coils, was looking this up just a week or two on LorAnn flavorings. They sell these on eBay & I asked about a couple, was told their products were recommended for cooking, baking & candy needs, not vaping. So it makes perfect sense that sugary flavors would gunk coils fast.

When in fact, the sweetest e-juice I was referring to, I've not cleaned, re-wicked or otherwise touched the coil since building it & down to near the bottom of a 60ml bottle. It's very clear, so maybe that's why the coil has held up so long.

While I agree that real medical advice is useful & I believe that my doctor has provided the best of care, the lab switch may have played a factor in the readings. This is the same lab that back in 2006, prior to my spinal surgery, stated my white blood cells had shot up. They didn't figure in that I my spine was in very bad shape, bone rubbing bone, and maybe this triggered the extra production. My surgery lasted over 8 hours & nearly every ounce of blood required replacement, plus a unit of frozen plasma.:(

Another issue that labs don't consider, probably because they don't have the information, is that I'm not very mobile. Sitting behind a PC monitor 10-14 hours per day isn't burning off what sugar (or ingredients that can convert into such) isn't burning what I do eat off.

Oh well, again thanks for your advise, highly appreciated. Will have to look at my diet as a whole to nail down the good & bad food/drink items I'm ingesting. Am sure the doctor (or ANP) will have a long list ready, plus any counseling options available to me come Thursday.:)

LOL..........Wheat or grain bread, veggies & water for life!:D

Cat

Upinsmoke

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2017
Suffolk UK
I think you need to calm down.
Your juice has about 50 calories per 10 ml.
If you absorb 20% and that figure is probably lower, 10 mls per day would equate to 10 calories per day.

I would look at the usual suspects .
BMI.
Diet and exercise.

If there was a link between diabetes and vaping don't you think you just might have heard about it.

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA
Your predisposition to developing full blown diabetes can be largely dependent on hereditary factors as well. Does diabetes run in the family? If yes then you are more likely to end up with it than someone who comes from a family of no diabetics.

I can't answer your question (I'm not qualified) but I can tell you that my mother has been in a condition of "pre-diabetes" for the last 20 years and still does not have it (she takes statins too).

My doctor recommended I start on statins last year. I told her to go pound sand. ;)

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
I think you need to calm down.
Your juice has about 50 calories per 10 ml.
If you absorb 20% and that figure is probably lower, 10 mls per day would equate to 10 calories per day.

I would look at the usual suspects .
BMI.
Diet and exercise.

If there was a link between diabetes and vaping don't you think you just might have heard about it.

I agree with the usual suspects mentioned & now realize that my diet will have to change. Exercise will be the challenge, as it's a struggle to become motivated to do what I need to.

As to the question you asked of me about the link between vaping & diabetes, there's a lot of conflicting data out there, why I Googled a lot before asking here. Out of most of the varying sources, there was one ingredient in common that diabetics & those with prediabetes should avoid & that's nicotine, smoked or vaped. Long before this, when I was vaping at 18 mg, both of my doctors told me that this needs to go down, at least by half, although was praised by both for stopping smoking. For the most part, have made it that far, although the dessert flavor mentioned has 12 mg, it's not my all day vape, rather a treat.:)

Your predisposition to developing full blown diabetes can be largely dependent on hereditary factors as well. Does diabetes run in the family? If yes then you are more likely to end up with it than someone who comes from a family of no diabetics.

I can't answer your question (I'm not qualified) but I can tell you that my mother has been in a condition of "pre-diabetes" for the last 20 years and still does not have it (she takes statins too).

My doctor recommended I start on statins last year. I told her to go pound sand. ;)

That's really the odd part, no one on either side of my immediate family (including grandparents, aunts & uncles) has a history of diabetes. There's been some other hereditary issues that I've picked up from both sides, to include spinal, although not this.

As to the cholesterol control, they tried statins a decade back, two brands, both caused extreme lower back muscle pain. Exactly what I didn't need fresh off of surgery. Instead, am prescribed a non-statin taken twice daily that's supposed to treat dietary & hereditary high cholesterol & for the first time in over two decades, the total number has been reduced to under 200 (actually 188) Was 242 before starting meds. Still have a bit high of the 'bad' type, will have to discuss with my doctor if the medication could be causing this.:)

Funny, both of these conditions are 'pre' something, AFAIK, neither high cholesterol nor prediabetes are listed on the death certificates of anyone in the US. Yes, I know both are risk factors, am more educated on high cholesterol than prediabetes, because have lived with it for so long. The latter arose just yesterday and leaves me with uncertainty.:(

The other thing I've not mentioned is that early last year, was made to change diet because of leg swelling (edema). Had to lower sodium intake as much as possible & take water pills for awhile & still occasionally need one. Now that I've made that adjustment, which wasn't easy, have to do things all over again. What was good for me then obviously isn't now. At what point do I run out of options?

That's what prompted the 'Wheat or grain bread, veggies & water for life' closing above.:D

I believe it may be time for me to consider switching to a different PCP, seems like every time I turn around, it's something. Either physically present or a 'quiz' that says I'm 'at risk' for other issues I chose not to be treated for, such as sleep apnea & restless leg syndrome (both based on how I answered the quiz, not physical symptoms). Taking medications for half a dozen issues is a risk factor of it's own, am already on 7 different as things stand today.:confused:

Cat

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
Quit following the USDA health guides for food. Way less grains (carbs AKA Higher blood sugar) more meats and fats, more greens..

This is exactly what I want to hear, as to what I can eat! What have I to lose?:thumbs:

I love meats, steaks & hamburgers, both with a bit of fat (although not the fast food burgers), are my favorite beef choices & only Hebrew National brand hot dogs (no fillers). Also fresh pond bream, wild catfish & some seafood (whiting & shrimp), some pork but not much fatty type, and certain greens (collards, when in season #1 choice with ham chunks), some lettuce, turnip, zucchini squash, okra, cucumbers, garden onions & bell peppers are among my favorite veggies.:)

There's other veggies I love seasonal to the area, especially tomatoes & yellow squash fried with onions, using only cooking spray, or if none around (rare), peanut oil.

Headed to the store tomorrow & will try & give some of what I have stored in the freezer away. Over half are those expensive whole wheat breads that's advertised as 'supposed to be the best for us'. Doctors themselves has fallen into this trap, it was one who got me first on a bagel kick with cream cheese I didn't like, then 'premium' whole wheat/grain breads that I've ate for 15+ years. If the stuff was go good to knock down cholesterol, should had done it's job w/out me needing to be on medication.

Oh, and ate oatmeal until I literally became sick of tasting it, tried sprucing with raisins, cinnamon (helps to hold down my wife's sugar), Splenda, pure sugar, finally gave up. Although it did reduce my overall cholesterol level, still not below 200 (I believe 205, from 236 at the time). Maybe I shouldn't had given it up, yet just like e-juice, taste is subjective, if I have to force it down, don't want it.:)

Don't know why the government (or USDA) says people w/out knowing their personal history, should be eating so much of a percentage of this or that. Had their long ago ancestors followed such 'Recommended Daily Allowances', many wouldn't be sitting on that council collecting their fat salaries & perks.:D

Because our ancestors had truly fresh milk, butter, cheese, fresh & cured meats, fish, veggies of all types, nuts, and real bread w/out boatloads of preservatives to prevent molding. I'm going on a limb here, yet my guess is that all of the extra junk (processing & preservatives) are what makes a lot of today's food unhealthy & part of why obesity is at or near all time highs. No way can one exercise all of that crap from our systems.

I'm going to see my doctor, and take her menus home with me, yet will do it your way first & see how the lab results turns out. Should the numbers become normal again, after three consecutive times, am going to print this post along with yours and put it in her hand!:D

Will eat bread in moderation, like a slice with a meal or an occasional egg sandwich. Sweets of all types are off my list for awhile, the wife can eat all she wants, I don't care for many desserts anyway. My wife buys donuts by the half dozen, and acts like I'm supposed to indulge with her every week (on Fridays). If she wants to drive off the cliff, she can, yet I want to live & largely the reason why I switched from smoking to vaping.:)

BTW, after reading, have learned that Gemfibrozil (generic for Lopid) can have some of the same side effects as statins. Not all will react the same way, while it didn't cause back pain like the statins (it can happen), have had severe leg cramps on & off & that certain tests needs to be performed to ensure not only if it's doing it's job, also to ensure it's not causing damage to organs. 600 mg twice daily is a lot, although I believe to be the standard dosage. Looks to be a 'one size fits all' medication. Not good if the risk outweighs the benefit, if any.

@SupplyDaddy, Thanks for your no-nonsense, uncomplicated dietary plan!:party:

Cat

Vaperer

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2017

I was taking 40 mg Zocor a day. Oh Lordy I broke out in some horrible hives. I'm with you I rather deal with the cholesterol than the deal with the allergic reactions. You got to die from something and Everyday Above Ground is a good one.
I refuse to take statins. As far as exercising I try but I am no Jack LaLanne .

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Statins are the devils tool, and not only that, there are tons of better options to treat it out there. You could try Welchol or any other bile sequestrant, they do a pretty good job of lowering cholesterol, and they don't have terror inducing side effects. My cholesterol improved immensely, and I had 0 side effects, although Welchol can constipate some folks, there are other bile sequestrants that don't have this issue.

I would never, ever take a statin for many reasons, including the possibility of prediabetes.

If you are really freaked out, well, some evidence seems to be piling up that using a diabetes drug like metformin (it's dirt cheap, old, and can have an effect on cholesterol itself, too) can be more useful than waiting until AFTER diabetes has arrived, and one's pancreas has already "given up the ghost" so to speak. Of course, it's another med, but I would encourage you to do your due diligence and to talk to your doctors about both options after you've researched them, as I am not one, but I know a fair amount as our family tends toward high cholesterol generally as well as heart attacks and diabetes..

I sincerely doubt if vaping sweets is causing your problem... But there is a simple way to find out. Stop for a week, and go get tested again. For it to be a real experiment, though, that would have to be the only thing you changed. The ONLY way I could see vaping as a culprit is that it is "tricking" your nervous system into thinking you are consuming something sweet, and releasing... whatever is released when carbs and sweets are eaten, but I think the jury is still out on whether that is a real effect, at least in everyone.

I would really take this issue back to your doctors and get further testing, you might even want them to prescribe you a glucose testing machine for home use (if you can bring yourself to use it) and get readings at different times of day, after vaping, and etc. It's really the only way I can "think" of for you to get an accurate read on what is going on and etc.

Best of luck and I hope things improve.

Anna

wickedalibi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2010
montana
I have had diabetes for 5 years. So I vaped b4 I had it. Vaping does not affect my blood sugar at all. Carbs are the devil! veggies all have some carbs some almost as much as candy (beets, sweet potatoes, corn, potatoes) be careful with those.
Big pharma has a bigger interest in diabetes meds than anything else. They figure at least half of the population of the world will have it a couple decades from now. Before you let your Dr. stick the prediabetes tag on you ask for an hbA1c test. This test gives you a % result of your average blood glucose over the last 3 months.
under 6% you're good to go
6%-7% pre
over 7% diabetes
Diet and exercise are your friends. Good Luck.

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
Went back to the my ANP yesterday, turns out I'm on the very low end of the prediabetes with an A1C level (3 month average) of 5.7%, the lowest on the pole & general sugar count at 101%, again just crossing the border.:)

So my outlook is great compared to many, to include my ANP, who has Type 1 diabetes, the absolute worst one can have, as I guessed (after all of my reading on the subject), she was born with it.:(

Basically the guide she gave me was fairly much in line with the advice that @SupplyDaddy also provided above, which also made things easy, as I had already started buying some green veggies. Because of my previous cholesterol diagnosis, told me to keep collards to a minimum due to it thickens blood, have presumed this is why many of our grandparents always kept vinegar on the table for years.

As to that part, have stopped taking the medication for that condition, actually a day or so before creating this Topic, because was feeling weak, back hurting a lot more than normal, cramping, weakness & other pain laying in the bed or changing positions didn't help. This was the signal to me that something other than my usual daily pain was going on. Am just beginning to feel better, note that it took some time for this to get in my system well & so will exiting. Therefore, came to the conclusion that these cholesterol lowering meds simply doesn't agree with my body & need, at least for a trial, to purge it from my system & see what happens. So far, so good, these symptoms has eased off, will take a bit longer to know for certain.

The meal guideline I was given for prediabetes also works for reducing the bad types of cholesterol, while raising the one good level, so now it's all in my hands. Was told (as on here) to be calm, stress makes matters worse, eat a sensible diet, try to exercise some, and should fall out of the prediabetes zone, and hopefully keep the cholesterol levels in check at the same time, w/out medication that's far from risk free.

Of course, had I been on the upper end of that A1C test, she would had started me on diabetic medication, at least until a retest. As far as the change in labs goes, for that test, is standardized for all, was told no matter which one used, the number would had been the same.

So now I have to do my part & hopefully come June, my numbers should be better, for both conditions. Will update the Topic then to reflect any changes, for better or worse.:D

Thanks to all who has taken the time to reply, good to know that some folks actually knows what they're talking about, and cared enough about my concern enough to provide feedback. Your advice eased my initial concerns to where I was no longer in a near panic state, couldn't had asked for more support than was given when needed the most.:)

Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread