can.you cloud chase on 1.5 or higher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trixiesdad

Oct 3, 2014
Chicago
Hi guys,

First off..thanks for all your suggestions on my question about the hot button. But, I was thinking about the svd. I was told that you can't sub ohm on an svd. I really like the svd and the fact that i dont have to worry about it as much as the mech mod. But I really like to vape those huge plumes of vapor too! Well, I ordered from fast tech b4 i got the mech mod, a kraken genesis rebuild clone, and what i saw on utube, it seemed like they were subohm'n it. I was wondering if i could set it up where i could use it on the svd and get close to cloud chasing..which brings me to the question...or a couple of questions:

can you cloud chase w/o sub-ohm'n?? and what would that minimal ohm be? And what is the absolute minimum ohm i could use on the svd? I've heard 1ohm and at the same time 1.5ohm.

Thanks again guys for you help

Pat

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
Clouds produced are roughly proportional to juice consumed by the coil.

Juice consumed by the coil is roughly proportional to the power (measured in watts) put through the coil. An important caveat is that your wick must be able to supply all this juice efficiently, otherwise you'll start scorching a dry wick.

So, for more vapor, you want more watts. With a regulated device, the resistance isn't as important. With a mechanical device, lowering the resistance is the (easiest and if done reasonably, safest) way to increase the power to the coil.

There are many other factors involved. You'll probably only get a moderate amount of vapor from juice with a low VG content. Clouds also need lots of airflow; that's one reason why many people use RDAs (Rebuildable Dripping Atomizers) because they typically offer the most airflow.

That's the general idea. You should read a lot about Ohm's law and battery safety before you do much else, as things have the potential to get dangerous if you don't understand what you're doing.

ETA: yes, you can get decent vapor at 1.5 ohms or higher (or start to cloud chase if you've got a couple dozen watts at your disposal). I'm using a trident RDA with a 1.4 ohm coil at 12 watts. It's by no means cloud chasing, but it's a satisfying amount.

Last edited:

rusirius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2014
DE
As stated above, resistance has nothing to do with "clouds"... Not directly... It's all about how much juice you vaporize... and that is entirely dependent upon how much heat flux and surface area you have... That combined with air flow... Of course, again as stated that's assuming you can wick juice to that surface area fast enough to keep it wet and vaporizing...

In other words, if you have half the amount of surface area, but twice the amount of heat, yet are still able to wick as fast as you can vaporize, then you'll get the same output as twice the surface area and half the heat...Which ultimately means in theory you can produce more vapor or "clouds" with larger resistance coils... But... you still have to deliver the heat... With a mech mod you don't have that option... You've got 4.2 volts at best... However on a high end regulated mod, you can crank the voltage up (some go up to 12 volts and I suspect we'll see higher soon). This means you can still deliver the power and heat over a very large surface area... Meaning more "clouds"....

As for your SVD, it's limited to 6v and 4A (I believe), so you won't exactly be winning competitions with it... Still, with the right setup it can produce pretty decent amounts of vapor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread