Can you sub ohm vape without the hassle

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingraptor724

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
United States
I am wondering if there is such a thing as vaping like sub ohm coils with mods and what not that dont require maintence like putting in cotton and monitering ohms etc? Because i just replaced my nautilus mini with a new one and mvp 2 because I want to vape without the hassle but now i feel regretful because apparently not all sub ohm tanks and what not require maintence?

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I guess it sort of depends on your definition of hassle.

When I used cartos, I had to fill them and add juice as necessary to keep them filled. If I was feeling particularly cheap, I had to clean them. When they were used up, I had to discard them and replace them. I had to order replacements...

When I used commercial attys, I had to blow them out fairly often. I soak them in vodka and dry burn them. Some lasted a while, some didn't. The "good" ones were somewhat expensive. I had to order those to keep in stock too.

When I switched to rebuildable attys, I ordered a bunch of cotton and wire... Won't have to order anything for those for several years. To clean, I pull the wicks and run under a warm tap... re-wick and put back together. Now and then a dry burn might be required. Every few weeks, I have to wrap some new coils. For that, I just wrap some wire around a screw I found on my desk.... and if I want better looking coils, the Kuro jig is dandy. Every few days, I replace the wicks.

The most hassle-reducing thing I ever did for my vaping was get a REO and the second most hassle reducing thing I ever did was get an RM2 rebuildable for it. I fill my bottle and switch my battery once a day. That takes about ~1 minute. About once every 3-5 days, I replace the wick. That takes about ~2 minutes, sometimes 3 if I don't put my reading glasses on first. About every 5-6 weeks, I replace the coil. Wrapping a loose 1 ohm coil on a screw takes about a minute and another minute or two to install and then a minute to wick it (all assuming I found my glasses first). Wrapping a perfect coil with the Kuro takes about 20-30 seconds and the same amount of time to install and wick.

Without going totally disposable (there are many disposable cig-a-likes on the market) and just tossing the whole thing when it is used up, there is no such thing as vaping without putting in any effort. I have seen no disposables that advertize sub-ohm (probably because their batteries can't handle that sort of stress), so I don't think there's any sub-ohming with zero effort put in to it.

So, though I'll guess you get some varied answers, the truth is that there is always going to be *something* to do that you might consider a hassle to get a satisfactory vape.

Maiar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2014
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I tried an eGo One today. It's sub ohm and seems no different to use than my regular protanks. Just put the coil in, fill with juice and go. Decent clouds too. The much larger SubTank by Kangertech seems pretty straightforward too. Just fill and go really. It has a rebuildable option too but you can also just buy the coils. As long as you have the battery to actually fire a sub ohm coil you should be good to go.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I am wondering if there is such a thing as vaping like sub ohm coils with mods and what not that dont require maintence like putting in cotton and monitering ohms etc? Because i just replaced my nautilus mini with a new one and mvp 2 because I want to vape without the hassle but now i feel regretful because apparently not all sub ohm tanks and what not require maintence?

Hi,
ummm....I'll go with yes (and what not).

Ego one:
one1_1.jpg

Have fun
I

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
By hassle I meant rdas, like I heard of atlantis sub ohming and stuff like that. How come people dont sub ohm on that?

Not sure I understand what you're getting at. The Atlantis is a tank that has replaceable heads (that have the coil in them). The heads can be bought at 0.5 ohms which is below 1.0 ohm so it is 'sub-ohm'. Yes, people use them.

The heads do need maintenance though, or you will have to replace them often and most people find that expensive.

kingraptor724

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
United States
Hi kingraptor, I hope this will not come off as offensive but I don't really get the question. Are you looking for a simple way to sub ohm or are you asking about others in general? Also what would you consider as a hassle?

Like a way to sub ohm without all the coils and cotton tinkering and what not, idk like a mod that fires like a sub ohm coil such as the nautilus min bvc. Like those coils require no maintence and its just twist in and use

smokinGAVIN

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2014
Manila, Philippines
Like a way to sub ohm without all the coils and cotton tinkering and what not, idk like a mod that fires like a sub ohm coil such as the nautilus min bvc. Like those coils require no maintence and its just twist in and use

Thanks for clarifying. There are a number of sub ohm tanks like that today. The Atlantis by Aspire, The Kanger Subtank and many others.

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
Yeah, grab a Kanger Sub Tank Mini and enjoy. Pretty much the same concept as your nautilus, with .5 Ohm coils and MUJI Japanese Organic Cotton as the wicking material. Head goes bad, get another one. They get pretty good airflow too. Probably won't work so well with an MVP. You need a higher powered device to take advantage of them.

Heck they're even making Sub Tank heads now with Ni200 wire for Temperature Control mods like the Evolv DNA40 devices and the YiHi SX350J

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
To use stock sub-ohm coils you need a battery that can fire sub-ohm coils and has enough power to so you get a great vape. Your MVP v2 can't fire a 0.5Ω coil.

You would need to upgrade your battery. I would look at a battery that has a minimum of 30 watts. The higher mAh it has, the longer you will be able to vape before charging. A 0.5Ω coil will drain your battery fast as compared to the coils in a Nautilus (1.6Ω/1.8Ω).

You will also vaporize a lot more juice using a sub-ohm coil. You will need to up your juice budget and lower your nic level when using sub-ohm coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread